Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,716,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
conservatives have no solutions that was just what you were saying. Everything is limited. So that is just word vomit. So writing Oh the government is limited to address, blah, blah, blah, means nothing. Any tool has limitations.

But I see no better and more powerful tool than the government.

Please explain the conservative position to address rampant and systematic racial discrimination against black American in the employment market.
If the government is the best tool to address this supposedly rampant discrimination, and the government has had +/-50 years to fix the problem, don't you think the problem should be fixed by now?

I have no idea what the conservative position is, but we've seen what the progressive position is and it hasn't worked. Got any ideas?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM

8,391 posts, read 6,300,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ3791 View Post
Well, first of all, where are you getting these numbers? My understanding (per US Census Bureau) is that, for people over age 25: (a) around 84% of blacks and 88% of whites have a high school diploma or higher and (b) around 20% of blacks and 30% of whites have a bachelor's or higher. More importantly, the current high school graduation rate among blacks is around 66%, meaning that it's dropped off considerably (especially among black men, now at 52%) Since unemployment is most prevalent among young folks, that actually does suggest that educational attainment is a big part of the problem.

Second, in my professional experience, which includes practicing in employment and civil rights law, I haven’t seen that racial discrimination in employment is at all common. Employers bend over backwards to avoid anything that could potential lead to an employment discrimination claim. Generally, the easiest (if not always effective…) way to do that is to, you know, not discriminate.

Anyway, I think the unemployment thing has more to do with class than race. I expect that if you compared middle class blacks to middle class whites, or underclass blacks to underclass whites, you’d find a lot less of a disparity in unemployment. It’s only a black problem to the extent that the black underclass is proportionately much larger than the white underclass.

I don't think you can expect conservatives to come up with a solution that going specifically target blacks- I'm not sure how you do so without treating blacks differently as a matter of public policy, which is, as I've said, off the table.

If you want conservative analysis on the causes of inter-generational poverty, regardless of race, there’s certainly plenty of that. For the most part, it’s a cultural problem rather than an economic one, and it’s perpetuated by the institutionalization of socially liberal attitudes coupled with poorly designed social welfare programs. Unfortunately, there haven’t been many promising ideas to reduce persistent poverty, beyond more broadly applicable measures like education reform and policies that encourage traditional marriage and family formation.
First there has not been a decline in black high school graduation that is a lie.
The rest of your post is wholly irrelevant.
Your response is to ignore reality and talk about nothing. SMH>.

This is what I mean when presented with the overwhelming evidence of systematic racial discrimination that goes back decades that harms the lives of millions of black Americans, conservatives have nothing.

Again what does intergenerational poverty and cultural problems have to do with the fact that black college grads with 4 year degrees have an unemployment rate that is 1.70times higher than similarly educated white people or that these disparities exist across board?

I know the conservatives response to gross racial disparities is to say hey there is something wrong with the black race that explains these disparities, but could you at least come up with a there is something wrong with the black race explanation that applies to what I am talking about?

I mean Again, the fact that you believe that black people have a bad culture cannot explain why black college grads with 4 year degrees or higher have an unemployment rate 1.70times higher than white people with the same level of education.

In fact, your there is something wrong with the black race explanation can't explain why black people with 4 year degrees or higher have a higher unemployment rate than white people with 2 year associates degrees and only slightly have a lower unemployment rate than white people who only went to college and never graduated.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If the government is the best tool to address this supposedly rampant discrimination, and the government has had +/-50 years to fix the problem, don't you think the problem should be fixed by now?

I have no idea what the conservative position is, but we've seen what the progressive position is and it hasn't worked. Got any ideas?
Really, has the government been addressing this problem? Where is your proof?

Old 08-29-2013, 03:54 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRayP View Post
Anyone who uses the excuse that they can't get a proper voter ID is lazy and bought into the "I can't" democratic way of thinking. My MIL, bed ridden, was able to vote from her bed. Next thing you know democrats will demand that we put the pen in people's hands and if we fight against it they will call it racism.

Democrats treat their following like a baby treats their diapers.
fixed it for you.

Quote:
Theory is great, but what do conservatives propose to handle this travesty.
and just what should conservatives do? we constantly lay out plans to put EVERYONE back to work, and those plans get poo pooed by the liberals. what have liberals done for the black community? they have destroyed over the decades. its the liberals that constantly get the black community up in arms demanding action that never seems to come. black unemployment is HIGHER under obama than it was under bush. you would think that obama would do what he could for the black community, but what has he done? what did carter or clinton do? look back at history to present and check out the programs that were put in place by the liberals, and see what kind of effect they have had on the black community. welfare has ruined the black community, as has affirmative action, and passing failing students along in school. sure we have black athletes that get into college because they can throw, catch, run, or kick a ball. but what happens after college? what happens when that promising professional athlete has a career ending injury? the liberal policies have not prepared them for what lies ahead. but if we go to conservative principles, things like taking responsibility for your actions, and working to get ahead in what ever you choose to do, they would be prepared for later in life.

i agree that we have a responsibility to help those who really need the help, but just giving the vast majority of those in need a check every month isnt the way to do it.

Old 08-29-2013, 03:58 PM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,614 times
Quote:
Oh you are a racist, but a least you have a coherent explanation for the unemployment stats. In your mind, black people are messed up and are too blame.

I wish more people who shared your basic racist outlook on black people were as honest. Thanks.
Nice try, you cant hide the pathetic train wreck that is the urban underclass behind calling me a racist.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
fixed it for you.

and just what should conservatives do? we constantly lay out plans to put EVERYONE back to work, and those plans get poo pooed by the liberals. what have liberals done for the black community? they have destroyed over the decades. its the liberals that constantly get the black community up in arms demanding action that never seems to come. black unemployment is HIGHER under obama than it was under bush. you would think that obama would do what he could for the black community, but what has he done? what did carter or clinton do? look back at history to present and check out the programs that were put in place by the liberals, and see what kind of effect they have had on the black community. welfare has ruined the black community, as has affirmative action, and passing failing students along in school. sure we have black athletes that get into college because they can throw, catch, run, or kick a ball. but what happens after college? what happens when that promising professional athlete has a career ending injury? the liberal policies have not prepared them for what lies ahead. but if we go to conservative principles, things like taking responsibility for your actions, and working to get ahead in what ever you choose to do, they would be prepared for later in life.

i agree that we have a responsibility to help those who really need the help, but just giving the vast majority of those in need a check every month isnt the way to do it.

Oh yet another rant that doesn't address the stats I put up.

I know welfare and affirmative action have ruined black people, I know I know, but what does that have to do with the fact that black college grads with 4 year degrees or higher have an unemployment rate 1.70 times higher than similarly educated white people.

And that black high school drop outs have an unemployment rate 1.78times higher than unemployment rate of white high school drop outs? Plus the fact that these disparities exist across every level of educational attainment?

In fact, how does welfare ruining black people, explain the fact that black people with 4 year degrees or higher have a higher unemployment rate than white people with only 2 year associate degrees, and only have a slightly lower unemployment rate than white people with only some college and no degree?

Again this is the consistent conservative response to systematic racial discrimination, oh there is something wrong with the black race that explains these disparities.

I just wish that their something is wrong with the black race explanations at least had the smallest bit to do with the stats I posted.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiFi View Post
Nice try, you cant hide the pathetic train wreck that is the urban underclass behind calling me a racist.
Oh you are a racist that is not even in question.

I posted unemployment stats based on education and race. You aren't at all addressing my point.

Again your false understanding of the urban underclass can't explain the fact that black people with 4 year degrees or higher have an unemployment rate 1.70times higher than white Americans with the same level of education.

It can't explain why those same black college grads with 4 year degrees or higher have an unemployment rate higher than white people with 2 year associate degrees.

It can't explain why those same black college grads only have an unemployment rate that is slightly better than white people with only some college and no degree.

And your false understanding of the underclass cannot explain those employment stats.

I know that conservatives want to explain away systematic racial discrimination with the explanation that there is something wrong with the black race. I only ask that those racist explanations at least apply to the stats I posted.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Oh you are a racist that is not even in question.

I posted unemployment stats based on education and race. You aren't at all addressing my point.

Again your false understanding of the urban underclass can't explain the fact that black people with 4 year degrees or higher have an unemployment rate 1.70times higher than white Americans with the same level of education.

It can't explain why those same black college grads with 4 year degrees or higher have an unemployment rate higher than white people with 2 year associate degrees.

It can't explain why those same black college grads only have an unemployment rate that is slightly better than white people with only some college and no degree.

And your false understanding of the underclass cannot explain those employment stats.

I know that conservatives want to explain away systematic racial discrimination with the explanation that there is something wrong with the black race. I only ask that those racist explanations at least apply to the stats I posted.
That is simple to explain, a larger percentage of blacks were ushered into degrees above their level due to affirmative action combined with a culture that sees 'working for the man' as selling out. The problem is not with race, its with a culture fostered by progressives. There is nothing wrong with the black race, there is something wrong with (a subset) of black american culture. Any African immigrant will tell you the same thing.

Old 08-29-2013, 04:26 PM

62,992 posts, read 29,170,163 times
Why just point the finger at white conservatives to fix the black unemployment problem? How about Hispanics? Afterall, they are the ones who want unlimited immigration from their ethnic group and amnesty for the millions here illegally who are sucking up jobs that blacks can and would do. What are the Hispanics in congress doing about this problem accept being advocates for amnesty also? What about Obama? He is pushing amnesty also in spite of the high unemployment among his fellow blacks. Is this the hopey, changey thing that blacks were hoping for?

Last edited by Oldglory; 08-29-2013 at 04:34 PM..

Old 08-29-2013, 04:30 PM

A good question is why African immigrants like Kenyans are more successful than African Americans. (and why other immigrants like Somalians are not) And the answer is simple: its the culture stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies