Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
You keep fudging that issue of the Aquifer when I suspect you're well aware of the fact the change of route around the aquifer was proposed and agreed upon by the NEBRASKA legislature NOV 20 2011. hence that has not been an issue since late 2011.

Keystone Pipeline - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now as to your other issue with transcanada pipeline I say hold their feet to the fire to not only conform to RAISED standards of pipeline but institute monitoring capability within more than one country. Build the thing so that sensors ring bells all over the damn continent if it leaks and more than one country can control the pumping.

If one thing keeps cropping up it's the ability for workers in one site to mis-read sensor info and control the feed rate of the pumps when it should be paramount to have an over-ride available in more than one monitoring station and more than one province/state/country.

Some guy standing in a pool of crude up to his armpits in Nebraska or wherever, has a better feel for a leak than bored workers watching guages in a cinder block room in Alberta.

By all means, give the guy a red button to push that overides some clown who raises the pumping feed rate line pressure because he doesn't believe what his guages are telling him.

Fully 81% of the crude leaked in Kalamazoo was AFTER the goofs raised the pump rate TWICE while not believing their guages.

In this regard we need not compromise.
And once again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The line wasn't approved by the Governor until January 23 of this year. The state legislature gave Heineman approval to make a decision on the line in 2011--that wasn't when it was approved. Keystone had to submit a second plan, and complete an environmental impact study. They dragged their feet the entire time, so the delay is on them. Although the plan avoids some of the environmental issues that the first plan caused such outrage over, portions of the line still go over parts of the Ogalalla aquifer. With all of the TransCanada leaks and environmental disasters on tar sands line in the last year alone, there is growing concern from not only environmentalists, but the business community, that this may not be in our best interest.
Heineman approves Keystone XL route; pipeline's fate back in Obama’s hands - Omaha.com

Now the line is tied up on our courts, by landowners who are ticked off about the imminent domain issue, but they're backed by a ton of people in the state. They're suing that the state legislature didn't have the authority to give the governor the power to approve the line on his own, and that there's no guarantee that the standards are up to par to make the line safe. Next time do a little research before you rant. Nothing can be done with approval or disapproval on a federal level until the case is settled.
Nebraska trial could delay Keystone XL pipeline - Washington Post

I didn't have a problem with the pipeline until TransCanada lied to us over and over, tried to do a land grab, went in on private land and illegally started clearing without permission of the land owners or even the pipeline being approved, and showed complete disregard for the concerns of people living here. Now that there are pipelines breaking and TransCanada can't get them cleaned up, more and more people are questioning why we should go forward with this. TransCanada isn't going to do anything we don't make them do, and the concern is that some people in power are pushing to get this approved for purely political reasons, and they haven't done what needs to be done to ensure our safety.

Last edited by mb1547; 08-30-2013 at 09:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 09:32 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,297,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
False. Obama lived in Kenwood in Chicago which is 72% black. It is part of the larger Hyde Park neighborhood which is 30% black.
Evidently to Bludy-l any majority black neighborhood is a crime ridden hood. So there is no way that Barack Obama could have lived in a place that was majority black, no because everyone avoids those majority black crime ridden hoods.

conservatives just can't help it.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,558,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I concur. So, it seems like wingnuts want jobs to come back, but only in the backwards Neo-Confederacy with few worker protections and low wages. Seems like they want all of us on Mexican wages.
Cons hate this because it means people are getting good jobs which means the economy is improving.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:49 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
How negative you are....

Glad that the Fusion will be built in Detroit. I hope they will do some more hiring in the area due to this.
I have to agree with you, but I see the other side as well. Regardless, I too hope this helps Detroit and more people will find jobs. It is a shame to see a city that, at one time, was so strong go through what they have. Now, let's hope they have learned something. We can look back on Pittsburgh as an example. They didn't let themselves go under, when the steel industry was pretty much ended the people developed new skills. Now, Pittsburgh can be proud of their accomplishments.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:59 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
Evidently to Bludy-l any majority black neighborhood is a crime ridden hood. So there is no way that Barack Obama could have lived in a place that was majority black, no because everyone avoids those majority black crime ridden hoods.

conservatives just can't help it.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/08/...-chicago-home/

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1325497

You were saying?

Old 08-30-2013, 10:05 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
The unionized American auto worker killed the American automobile industry 30 years ago.

The American cars were junk.

Poor quality, drinking, smoking weed during breaks were the norm.

Unions protected them, but helped in destroying America's dominance.

Quality improved when the auto makers went to right to work states because there was accountability.

There is no accountability with unions.
I know you're just trolling but I'll add one post. So the unions designed the Pinto, Vega and K car? I thought management made those decisions.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:44 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,285,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I know you're just trolling but I'll add one post. So the unions designed the Pinto, Vega and K car? I thought management made those decisions.
Detroit was going downhill before these cars were introduced.

Old 08-30-2013, 12:16 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
So the meme that Detroit was brought low because of auto companies is false? Hmm then what caused its decline? I'll wait.
Look playboy...they went from having 12 HUGE auto plants in the city to having 2...GM Hamtramck and Chrysler Jefferson Plant.

That doesn't include feeders that employed tens of thousand of people like Kelsey Hayes and Uniroyal.

That's just auto manufacturing. Zug Island (National Steel) has only half the people they used to have. They employed thousands of people.

Moreover, a hell of a lot of people in the city worked at plants in the suburbs that have closed down such as Willow Run, Canton Forge, and Wixom.

I don't know what you're trying to get at, but if you're trying to get me to denigrate the people of Detroit in some way, FORGET IT. It ain't gonna happen.

Old 08-30-2013, 01:14 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
False. Obama lived in Kenwood in Chicago which is 72% black. It is part of the larger Hyde Park neighborhood which is 30% black.
You really need to read about Obama's early days in the early 80's.

His present home was bought much more recently.....in a deal where the other party involved is now in jail.

No.....back in the 80's he commuted to the neighborhoods he organized in. Black leaders in those areas of Chicago have related that.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

I don't know what you're trying to get at, but if you're trying to get me to denigrate the people of Detroit in some way, FORGET IT. It ain't gonna happen.
Of COURSE not! You won't speak the truth even if it smacked you in the face if it flies in the face of your ideals.

Posted with TapaTalk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies