Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2013, 08:10 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Well, I don't know about any of your bilge.

I spent more than 20 years in the Army insuring that we have fundamental rights. One of those being the right to good health.
Hogwash.

That's pure horse manure of the most foul nature.

You do NOT have any right to ANYTHING another person has, does, or provides.

Your rights stop 1 millimeter from anyone else. Including forcing them to give you things, pay for your things, work for free, or steal from someone who has what you want.

Thanks for serving. Too bad you didn't learn a damn thing about what freedom is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 08:12 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Hogwash.

That's pure horse manure of the most foul nature.

You do NOT have any right to ANYTHING another person has, does, or provides.

Your rights stop 1 millimeter from anyone else. Including forcing them to give you things, pay for your things, work for free, or steal from someone who has what you want.

Thanks for serving. Too bad you didn't learn a damn thing about what freedom is.
Believe me, I understand what freedom is and what it means a whole lot more than you do. More than you will ever know.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
Um, I did. Read the first paragraph again.

"Insurance involves pooling funds from many insured entities (known as exposures) to pay for the losses that some may incur. The insured entities are therefore protected from risk for a fee, with the fee being dependent upon the frequency and severity of the event occurring."

Your point?
You don't know what insurance is.

from Merriam-Webster:

Quote:
b : coverage by contract whereby one party undertakes to indemnify or guarantee another against loss by a specified contingency or peril
It is not a cost sharing pool.

Gawd, I hate it when ignorant people prattle on with complete nonsense as if they were authorities.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:14 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,991,811 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that some read this forum... It seems a safe assumption.

Can you explain why?

What evidence can you provide me that federally regulating what people must do in regards to the purchase of insurance, and what can be offered, is good?

Can you provide me ANY examples of how federally intervening in your personal life and taking your decisions from you has proved to be great benefit to yourself and anyone else?

Can you provide me ANY examples of how our federal government is the best means of changing how our medical system works and that federal involvement will dramatically improve things - medical or not?

I'd settle for any 3 examples of how the federal government is impressively competent and capable at doing things. Can anyone provide them? I've never found anything they didn't damage badly.

I'll give you one example myself. If Federal funding of healthcare wasn't available my tombstone would read Mark W. Ruckman ,1954-2008. That was the year I went on homodialysis. Do you have any idea what such treatments cost? My provider bills the Social Security system about $ 3,600 a week for 3 4 hour treatments or about or about $187,200 dollars a year. Without the treatments I would last if I'm lucky 4 weeks. Dialysis was invented in the Netherlands in 1959 but as late as 1972 only 6,000 treatment machines existed in the USA because it was so expensive it was beyond the reach of a wealthy few. Middle class Americans were out of luck, You had renal failure you were out of luck and you need to know that renal failure can be caused by such mundane things as food poisoning not to meantion diabettes. This changed because of a man few Americans would think had compassion for the sick. Richard Nixon. Nixon supported legislation that made people like me eligable for Medicare at any age and the deep pockets of Uncle Sam made it worthwhile for doctors and ultimately large medical Businesses to set up clinics buy dialysis machines train staff hire RNs and LPNs to supervise the clinics and pay doctors to supervise care which also involves more than just filtering the blood but treating anemia, bone loss and for some heart failure and strokes. Today there are nearly a million dialysis patients several hundred thousand dialysis machines and thousands of clinics so that Americans don't have to travel so far to find one unless you live in places like the American West or Alaska. It costs the government about 20 Billion dollars a year and they are going to have to expand the system a whole lot more since nearly 20 million Americans have diabettes and 1/3 or all Americans are obease and a lot are pre-diabettic. The estimate is by 2025 there will be 2-3 million on dialysis and the cost pushing 100 Billion dollars. I chalk this up as a healthcare sucess story.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:15 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:

Gawd, I hate it when ignorant people prattle on with complete nonsense as if they were authorities.
I suppose thats why people view you in such an adverse manner.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,067,783 times
Quote:
I'm assuming that some read this forum... It seems a safe assumption.

Can you explain why?

What evidence can you provide me that federally regulating what people must do in regards to the purchase of insurance, and what can be offered, is good?

Can you provide me ANY examples of how federally intervening in your personal life and taking your decisions from you has proved to be great benefit to yourself and anyone else?

Can you provide me ANY examples of how our federal government is the best means of changing how our medical system works and that federal involvement will dramatically improve things - medical or not?

I'd settle for any 3 examples of how the federal government is impressively competent and capable at doing things. Can anyone provide them? I've never found anything they didn't damage badly.

Someone needs to step in because our medical system sucks right now. Whether it be the government or someone else I don't really care.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I'll give you one example myself. If Federal funding of healthcare wasn't available my tombstone would read Mark W. Ruckman ,1954-2008. That was the year I went on homodialysis. Do you have any idea what such treatments cost? My provider bills the Social Security system about $ 3,600 a week for 3 4 hour treatments or about or about $187,200 dollars a year. Without the treatments I would last if I'm lucky 4 weeks. Dialysis was invented in the Netherlands in 1959 but as late as 1972 only 6,000 treatment machines existed in the USA because it was so expensive it was beyond the reach of a wealthy few. Middle class Americans were out of luck, You had renal failure you were out of luck and you need to know that renal failure can be caused by such mundane things as food poisoning not to meantion diabettes. This changed because of a man few Americans would think had compassion for the sick. Richard Nixon. Nixon supported legislation that made people like me eligable for Medicare at any age and the deep pockets of Uncle Sam made it worthwhile for doctors and ultimately large medical Businesses to set up clinics buy dialysis machines train staff hire RNs and LPNs to supervise the clinics and pay doctors to supervise care which also involves more than just filtering the blood but treating anemia, bone loss and for some heart failure and strokes. Today there are nearly a million dialysis patients several hundred thousand dialysis machines and thousands of clinics so that Americans don't have to travel so far to find one unless you live in places like the American West or Alaska. It costs the government about 20 Billion dollars a year and they are going to have to expand the system a whole lot more since nearly 20 million Americans have diabettes and 1/3 or all Americans are obease and a lot are pre-diabettic. The estimate is by 2025 there will be 2-3 million on dialysis and the cost pushing 100 Billion dollars. I chalk this up as a healthcare sucess story.
You define "success" as the ability to force someone else to work to pay for what you need.

Does one need any further comments to understand this?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Someone needs to step in because our medical system sucks right now. Whether it be the government or someone else I don't really care.
What sucks about it?

Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Oh, my gawd. You don't know how insurance works.

Yikes. Scary.
I have known people who couldn't get health insurance because of what they were born with and I have known people thst had insurance that took their money and then denied all their claims. I think you are too trusting of For Profit Insurance Companies.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
I suppose thats why people view you in such an adverse manner.
What's funny about your comment... is that I am correct.. And he and you are wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies