Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:06 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,942,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolb View Post
Are you familiar with this newfangled invention called "google"??

Despite rumors circulated on right-wing talk radio that it's a communist-atheist-lesbian-muslim plot to take your guns away in the middle of the night, in reality it's SIMPLY what is known around the computer world as a "search engine."

Example:
If you "google search" the phrase "79% of republicans expressed explicit racial prejudice" there are approx. 67,000 sources from which to pick from to view the study results. That way, if you pick your own, you can't gripe about the source posted by somebody else.

But they all show the same result: {+/-4%} 79% of republicans express explicit racial prejudice

I clicked teh VERY FIRST LINK in that search result. As I said earlier, I don't think I'm willing to give that study a lot of credibility. If you want to, however, why not use this statement, which was in that very first link;

Quote:
That test showed a majority of both Democrats and Republicans held anti-black feelings (55% of Democrats and 64% of Republicans), as did about half of political independents (49%).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 06:39 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I want Congress to oppose ALL of Obama's policies.
It's interesting to me how right-wingers are so willing to cut their nose off in order to spite their face.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:21 AM

6,464 posts, read 13,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Why do so many on the left turn everything into a political issue??

We are talking about involving this country in yet another war, this is not a vote on the president's budget proposal.
Very funny in light of the post directly above it.

Old 09-06-2013, 09:51 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I say this because of what has gone on in Syria. Some of you are divided over Syria and yet your Speaker is forced to side with Obama about a military strike. I am sure the left is laughing all the way to the voting both in the next election when many of your own voters won't come and vote for another republican.

There is a good bit of truth in what you say. However...how does "the left" feel about their war-monger president? About how he is promoting exactly the same actions as the "neo-cons" they attacked for years?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:06 AM

147 posts, read 164,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Fact of the matter is that abortion is legal. LEGAL, because of RvW and the 14th amendment. Your emotions and appeals to a "higher moral authority" are totally irrelevant.
If you don't approve of abortions, don't get one. Simple as that.
That being said, you have NO RIGHT to make the choice for someone else. None whatsoever.
No moral right or no legal right? In the normative sense, or in the positive sense?

The choice of abortion, or choice in general? And either way, why not?

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM

147 posts, read 164,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolb View Post
"The 79% is overt (republican) racism as compared to 32% of Democrats."

The margin of error was +/-4% ...so congrats on you people maybe having as low as 75% racists (even though the higher side of 83% is MUCH more realistic ...just browse through this forum for proof)
Well, the poll purported to measure prejudice, not racism. The two aren't necessarily the same thing. You can think that members of particular group in this country tend to have certain characteristics, without thinking that those characteristics are genetic, or that those characteristics make them inferior in some way.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:21 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,427,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Uhhhh... how do you arrive at your conclusion?
I say this because of the fact that many Republicans didn't come out in the same numbers as the Democrats did in the last presidential election. As far as Syria, you tell me where Republicans stand now.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
some people just post to be posting and make no sense. I have to ask what are you talking about and where are you getting your ideas? If you really had an open mind and have been paying attention you would know this is happening on both sides. The country and yes, our elected representatives are very split, for good reason. It is a no win situation our President has gotten us into. Now, we have to figure out, what is the best answer for what is a total mess!!! You think the left is laughing all the voting booth, I say, there is more to this than the voting booth. We are talking about another war in the middle east, we are talking about the future, not the voting booth. For anyone to be laughing, at such a situation is beside my wildest imagination!!!!!!
I started this thread primarily to see is there some truth to my thread's title. I was being very hyperbolic about people laughing to the voting both because, as you know, Democrats want Republicans defeated just as the Republicans want the Democrats defeated. But also, the USA is becoming more liberal which means that if the Republicans can't get more people on board with them, they are going to be voted out of existence.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
How exactly was Boehner forced to side with Obama in your opinion? I don't like the idea of involvement in Syria myself and my take on this one is that Boehner may be giving Obama just enough rope to hang himself.
From what I heard, many Republicans don't want another repeat of IRAQ. Where were the WMDS? So with Syria they are saying that they have all of this evidence that Syria attacked its own people with chemical weapons. Do we want to fight another war that we can't afford to have? Yet, the speaker is supporting Obama's decision to strike.

Old 09-06-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If we could only vote the Democrats out of existence at the same time we'd have something.
AmEN! I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies