Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2013, 01:46 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
If you think welfare is the main problem I think you ought to go back to the drawing board.
Dependency only makes you a slave to your master and people on welfare depend on the government who takes from people who "work" for the money to pay for the food on your table. You also take from "children to feed your face.

You're still a slave, you're owned. It's just a different method.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,818,113 times
I drive through some areas of the country, see the severe disengagement of some people, the prison population, etc; this is suppose to be exceptionalism?

When General Patraeus got heckled the other day, was he thinking "I am glad my life has been centered around you to do this", or was it more like "I centered my life to defend this?"

Old 09-14-2013, 01:51 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No I don't think that. But a growing dependency of citizens on the government to survive certainly adds to it.
Then let's raise the minimum wage. The cost of goods will go up a small amount, but taxes will go down more because our cash will go straight to the working poor instead of grinding through government bureaucracy.

Old 09-14-2013, 01:54 PM

12,373 posts, read 13,194,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
I am conservative on many issues and liberal on others, but I am tired of hearing this crap. It means absolutely nothing. It means about as much as a sign that says worlds best Pizza. Its just crap and it gets repeated so much it means even less than that.
American Arrogance is a more fitting term IMHO.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:02 PM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Personally I do not have a party since I am independent, but my comment had nothing to do with who you should support. I said a lot of people rallied around Putin when he attacked US as whole, and claimed American Exceptionalism is dangerous. Some Republicans, like McCain chose to defend US, but unfortunately many Americans chose to side with Putin.
American Exceptionalism is a phrase that simply means the sky is the limit, and only you can restrict what you want to do, or where you want to take your life.

I think some people sided with Putin, because he was essentially saying people are people, and no one is inherently better then another simply because of what country they live in.

It's true, that people are people, but that is not what is meant by "American exceptionalism." All it means is that in the US we celebrate and encourage exceptionalism. in other countries you are restricted in life to the economic class, religion, gender, tribe, etc,,, In other words, no matter how exceptional your deeds and actions in life may be, you are limited by what you were born into.

In the US we do not traditionally place any restrictions on how far you may may climb or hinder what you can achieve in life. We do not limit your inventiveness, creativity or entrepreneurial accomplishments. we respect liberty, and do not confiscate your wealth and property.

In other countries, simply being a woman or your religion is enough to keep you down. Other countries will punish you with draconian taxes and wealth confiscation, to keep you down.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Then let's raise the minimum wage. The cost of goods will go up a small amount, but taxes will go down more because our cash will go straight to the working poor instead of grinding through government bureaucracy.
Too late, Obama raised taxes so only government gets it and just like a welfare check just try to take it off him.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:04 PM

808 posts, read 662,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Which is irrelevant because the discussion centered around WWII era and the losses incurred then.
a lie. it did not.

it is around American exceptionalism and not about WWII

Old 09-14-2013, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
American Exceptionalism

In the US we do not traditionally place any restrictions on how far you may may climb or hinder what you can achieve in life. We do not limit your creativity, inventiveness, creativity or entrepreneurial accomplishments. we respect liberty, and do not confiscate your wealth and property.

In other countries, simply being a woman or your religion is enough to keep you down. Other countries will punish you with draconian taxes and wealth confiscation, to keep you down.
Yes America is one of the few countries where you can be born into poverty and rise to riches. People think they are owed and waste their opportunity.

For some reason people in the U.S. think they are "owed" a job. They think they should be paid brain surgeon wages with hamburger flipper skills.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
So we're all idiots now? So much for American Exceptionalism .

Really, the founding fathers were people of above-average intelligence who had a good but risky idea and the means to make it happen. They weren't perfect people, and our Constitution is most definitely not perfect.
repeating very slowly and patiently - American exceptionalism is NOT the level of intelligence of the crowd.
it is what the Founders put into the Constitution.
no human being is perfect but so far American Constitution is THE BEST that ever existed.

And THAT is the base of American Exceptionalism.

Old 09-14-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Yes America is one of the few countries where you can be born into poverty and rise to riches. It's only people who think that riches is their right without giving anything to earn it or in return that don't get it and waste their opportunity.

For some reason people in the U.S. think they are "owed" a job. They think they should be paid brain surgeon wages with hamburger flipper skills.
America is one of the countries where one can get with 600$ in the pocket and NOTHING MORE and make their way all the way through to the top in less than 10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies