Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 09:32 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
If you started spending $900,000 an hour 2,000 years ago, you still wouldn't have spent $17 TRILLION.

That's $17,000,000,000,000

But we don't have a spending problem, do we?
If you actually don't know anything about economics, its just babbling.

Behold the symbol of your school of economics:

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 AM

20,728 posts, read 19,377,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
What does one TRILLION dollars look like?

Here's a pallet with 100 million on it for perspective, $100 dollar bills

1 trillion dollars.

Imagine how many pennies that is. Every time I go to the gas pump I am reminded how many tenths of a penny that is.....

Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
The USA's national debt is about $17 trillion and our GDP this year is about $17 trillion, so to put it into a family context you could say that a family makes about $80,000 per year total and owes about $80,000 left on their mortgage.
Doesn't it get tiring excusing the excesses of big government?

Old 09-13-2013, 09:37 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Federal debt held by the public doesnt tell the entire story.

and debt at 4% is better than where it has been. However what is the growth of GDP 1%? 2%? 3%?

context is key. and what role does sequester have to play in the falling debt number?

you argue against austerity but in the same breath speak about the positives of what that is driving.
The "positives" that you speak of is not due to austerity. Most of the fall in the deficit is due to the waning of the Great Recession -- revenues are up and social spending is falling as employment improves.

The sequester is only a negative, cutting spending while the economy is still depressed.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:38 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,062,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter_Sucks View Post
Not exactly. Most of the folks screaming about unfunded liabilities take all future spending and worry about it right now. We do have a debt problem, but it is a mixture of spending too much and taxing too little.
Only 47% of us pay federal tax.

Taxation on us is not the problem....spending is.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:40 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Taxing too little? Care to explain?
According to spendaholic lefties taxes are the savior for everything.

if you crash your car you tax it, if you can't pay the house mortgage you raise taxes. If you need gas to go to work you make a carbon tax...

To them taxes are the cure all for everything wrong. And so long as they are exempt is it costs them little to nothing they are cool with it.

Like guns are a problem to them so they want to tax guns and ammo into orbit..... They don't care because they traded security for freedom long ago.

Maybe take that security and then there would be a problem. Looking like Al Qaeda just might too

9-11 pissed me off, but if Al Qaeda does it again inside the USA, i doubt it will bother me as much. These lefties asked for it begged really.

Some how i doubt Al Qaeda will come back to North Conway NH., like last time, but i suppose i could be wrong.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:41 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Yes, that is why I wrote that the differences are relative. Of course the poor in the West are doing way better than those in most other regions of the world. But also because we invest a lot to close that gap, for instance via social security etc. Look at India, it has some extremely rich people, but we in the West could simply not accept so many people living without running water, sanitation, etc. In India they still seem to accept that. When they implement social security, health insurance and similar systems that deserve that name, they will pile up debt as well. In the West there is a certain minimum standard of living, below which there might be riots etc.
well we need to figure something out because the power game is getting too expensive and that will lead to even more riots than we have already seen.

Old 09-13-2013, 09:43 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,958,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Doesn't it get tiring excusing the excesses of big government?
What excesses would that be? If you're talking about current federal spending, outside defense, where is the excesses? As we need to remember, the federal government is basically an insurance company with an army, and the insurance side isn’t bad.

Nondefense spending is dominated by Social Security, which runs on an efficient 1% overhead rate; Medicare, which could do better, is more efficient than private insurance; and Medicaid, which is much more cost-effective than private insurance. I’m sure that if you look through nondefense discretionary spending you’ll find some waste, but no more than in any large corporation.

If you really are interested in cutting government cost, you should be demonstrating in the streets for universal healthcare, which has proven in other countries to cost half as much as we spend with better medical results.

20,462 posts, read 12,392,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The "positives" that you speak of is not due to austerity. Most of the fall in the deficit is due to the waning of the Great Recession -- revenues are up and social spending is falling as employment improves.

The sequester is only a negative, cutting spending while the economy is still depressed.
on this we do not agree... but hey, we are closer to agreement today than pretty much ever before! LOL.

19,023 posts, read 25,976,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
If you actually don't know anything about economics, its just babbling.

Behold the symbol of your school of economics:

I like that image, but am not certain i know what it is

Could be a boobie, the cresent moon, and tongue sticking out.

For all I know it's a black and white image of Obama! wearing a beanie

I think if i stare at it for long enough and look away i will see jesus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies