Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2013, 09:38 AM

19 posts, read 10,756 times

Advertisements

The right to privacy is a Constitutional protection. Griswold v. Connecticut

Although rights are limited, they are also protected.

The only inalienable rights one has are: Life (if you are alive, that your life not be taken by someone else), Liberty (freedom from the coercion of others) and the pursuit of Happiness (civic virtues and personal attributes).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2013, 10:04 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Waiting for the next Ed Snowden to steal and release data on all the members of Congress.

I really can see the election of a Libertarian president.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:06 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,547,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Waiting for the next Ed Snowden to steal and release data on all the members of Congress.

Maybe Snowden already has that data.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:10 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
The question begs, why does the fed even need to know this data? What makes this data so valuable to them? How much will it cost to gather and study this data? Penalizing Doctors for respecting patient privacy?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:14 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
The beginning of any good conspiracy theory.
I've read all your posts in this thread. I don't understand you or your reasoning. Why are you making excuses for the government? What happened with the IRS indicates the government just isn't responsible with our personal financial data, but you're making all these bs excuses for the government having our personal social and behavioral data and essentially accusing everyone else of being an idiot or immature for being upset about the government being in possession of this data.

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau created by the Dodd-Frank financial reform, is collecting data on our bill-paying and spending habits, HHS and the IRS will soon have our medical records, the NSA snoops on our email and Internet habits...all that and they also want to collect social and behavioral data. The government keeps tightening the noose around our necks and you just tell us to grow up?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:32 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
If your on the public dole like Medicare, Medicaid or Childrens health I don't see what you would be complaining about. The article mentioned they are encouraging doctors to find out if you smoke and your families health history. My wife recently filled out a 40 page health report for private health care. Are you telling me Medicare and Medicaid because the are run by the gubbermint cant ask some questions. If your on Medicare and you don't want to answer the questions that's your business. Doesn't the taxpayer deserve some answers after shelling out $10,000 annually per Medicare recipient? I guess I don't get it how you can be on the dole and not expect someone to get answers to health questions. You know you guys are also defending Medicaid patients don't you?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:40 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
This is a good demonstration of that corruption of perspective I alluded to: This thread is talking about the collection of data in the context of privacy safeguards that society determines are sufficient, for well-established and well-regarded purposes, and here we see someone trying to claim that that justifies his own personal invasion of privacy, for almost assuredly scurrilous purposes (made obvious by the puerile tenor of the comment itself).
There are no privacy safeguards, other than the promise that politicians WILL use them for partisan purposes.

There are no "well established and well-regarded purposes". Government has absolutely NO valid use for any of them. AT ALL. None. Zilch. Zip. Nada. Zero.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:44 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,972,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
My wife recently filled out a 40 page health report for private health care. Are you telling me Medicare and Medicaid because the are run by the gubbermint cant ask some questions.

If your on Medicare and you don't want to answer the questions that's your business. Doesn't the taxpayer deserve some answers after shelling out $10,000 annually per Medicare recipient?
Your wife was free to tell whoever wanted the information to shove it, and go somewhere else. It's VOLUNTARY.

There's nothing voluntary about the government taking your private data and sifting it for partisan purposes.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:47 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
. Even pro-choice advocates support regulation of the abortion service providers to ensure the pregnant woman's safety.

Unfortunately not the babies safety.

Old 09-15-2013, 11:49 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
The beginning of any good conspiracy theory.

......is when people such as yourself go on the defense of Big Brother unashamedly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies