Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2013, 10:25 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,596,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPrevails View Post
I agree with you. I don't want cheap insurance with a high deductible. I hardly go to the doctor so how do I benefit from this law.
If I may be so bold, I think they screwed the pooch on this one.

There is just so much in play here it is hard to figure out what they were trying to accomplish when they walked in the door.

There was suppose to be a 'reform' here some where and I sure wish some one would show that part to me, because honestly I don't see 'reform', but less money to buy my groceries and a new bill to pay that I didn't ask for and who is my doctor going to be now? Wow...I guess I better go get busy, figuring this mess out they created. I really like the doctor I have. She's smart. Oh well, there's nothing I can do about it now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2013, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Is it an overreach when nurses and physicians make an attempt to save your life in an emergency, or to provide you with necessary care to help you deal with a severe illness? Are you really going to go down that road?

The GOP loves to complain about "freeloaders", and yet this is actually what they themselves are doing when they make ridiculous protests about the ACA.

"I refuse to get an insurance policy"

"If Obama wins, I'm cancelling my insurance in protest"

"I'm invincible--I don't need insurance"

"I feel fine-why do I need insurance?"

The nonsense goes on and on....and then WHAM! A serious medical crisis. Oh, you don't have insurance? What about this 100K bill? Just hoping to foist this one on everyone who has insurance, because of your silly "principles " ? Maybe the hospitals would like to have some assurance that they'll get something in return for their services; maybe they don't want to depend on some imaginary ( and probable insufficient) cash reserve that the patient claims to have?

Those inflammatory statements sound pretty hollow now..
You know what, I'm neither a D or a R, so any reference to those views are lost on me.

Secondly, I was doing fine. Just fine on my own. I don't need or want your help with my health care costs. Thank you.

And finally, guess how I paid to have three children, cash billing and paid it out over the course of a year.
For those who go into other situations, that is what medicaid was there for, the one that was already in place that needed the reform. We needed a reform, not a law that takes hard earned cash out of my pocket and leaves nothing to put food with on the table. I can not eat health insurance and they will not let me live at a hospital.

15,532 posts, read 10,504,683 times
Okay, I did some poking around and I don't know that I can keep my individual Blue Cross plan after all. It seems that our current policies have to match the new Obamacare policies to a T. That means mental care and maternity, I'm pretty sure mine doesn't cover maternity (I didn't need it). I'm going to be madder than a wet hen if I can't keep my current policy.

Most individual health insurance isn't good enough for Obamacare - Apr. 3, 2013

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
It don't help that this country is so fat and unhealthy to begin with. Obesity and smoking costs billions of dollars every year.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:19 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
For those of us without insurance, this may be the only option to stay afloat. I don't like the idea of it but sadly there is no comparable option from the Republicans that they can all get behind.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:23 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Good question. I have MediCare supplemental coverage, and I'll check with my state exchange after the initial signup rush is over. It may or may not be to my advantage, but the exchange will have the info I need to make my decision.

Old 09-25-2013, 11:27 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Is it an overreach when nurses and physicians make an attempt to save your life in an emergency, or to provide you with necessary care to help you deal with a severe illness? Are you really going to go down that road?
Obamacare isn't about nurses and physicians. It's about government controlling insurance. Your strawman doesn't work.
Quote:
The GOP loves to complain about "freeloaders", and yet this is actually what they themselves are doing when they make ridiculous protests about the ACA.
No, it isn't. The objection to Obamacare is about government assuming authority over peoples' private healthcare decisions. Again, you're just building a strawman.
Quote:
"I refuse to get an insurance policy"

"If Obama wins, I'm cancelling my insurance in protest"

"I'm invincible--I don't need insurance"

"I feel fine-why do I need insurance?"

The nonsense goes on and on....
On and on in your own fantasy. In reality, the GOP isn't saying that. You are. It's easy to win an argument when you just make up what the other side says and then have the perfect response to it. But next time, why don't you try dealing with the actual objections the GOP has? Rising medical costs, lack of free choice, disincentiving innovation, violation of the constitution, carve outs for congress and Obama campaign donors, etc.
Quote:
and then WHAM! A serious medical crisis. Oh, you don't have insurance? What about this 100K bill? Just hoping to foist this one on everyone who has insurance, because of your silly "principles " ?
Our silly principles are what made this country the most powerful one on the planet. And yours are what started that powerful country into decline.
Quote:
Maybe the hospitals would like to have some assurance that they'll get something in return for their services; maybe they don't want to depend on some imaginary ( and probable insufficient) cash reserve that the patient claims to have?
Obamacare doesn't change that. Someone who can't pay for medical services running up a huge bill whose cost is then spread out among other people is exactly what Obamacare does. That's how insurance works, and Obamacare is all about having more insurance. So what's silly here is your objection. Your solution to X happening is to do X.
Quote:
Those inflammatory statements sound pretty hollow now..
The reason those statements sound so hollow is because you're the one making them. Step out of your echo chamber.

Old 09-26-2013, 12:47 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
LOL, in other words, you're crazy. Sorry but alternative medicine is 99% bunko.
Alternative medicine managed to serve humanity very well for more than...oh...20 million years or so... As soon as allopathic medicine hits a record like that, then I'll be happy to step on that bandwagon. Until that time, however, I'll stick with methods that are tried and true.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2013, 12:50 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actonbell View Post
You're young and healthy. You don't really want health insurance. No sweat. You don't have to buy it. You can "opt out." But then you'll have to pay a fine of between $95 for every adult in your house or 1% of your income after $10,000, whichever is larger. So if you're single and you make $50,000, you'd have to pay a $400 fine for not having health insurance. The Supreme Court called this fine a tax. You can look at it that way. Or you can view it as an upfront payment for having hospital and ambulance services able to come get you if you need them. Or you can look at it as horrible government overreach. Some people do."
I'm already paying a fortune in taxes, a couple of hundred dollars more a year isn't going to kill me. For me to keep my privacy, autonomy and privilege to treat my diseases and/or injuries however *I* choose to treat them is well worth it.

20yrsinBranson

Old 09-26-2013, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
I'm already paying a fortune in taxes, a couple of hundred dollars more a year isn't going to kill me. For me to keep my privacy, autonomy and privilege to treat my diseases and/or injuries however *I* choose to treat them is well worth it.

20yrsinBranson
I can respect that. I also know you're very smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies