Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 01:03 AM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times

Advertisements

I love animals, so I was appalled by the behavior of these cops, the dog was only being protective of his owner who was being unfairly arrested anyway. It seems like cops are very trigger-happy these days shooting at anything or anyone they perceive as the smallest threat and they're constantly abusing their power, it's not surprising that police is listed as one of the top occupations preferred by psycopaths, many choose it not to "protect and serve" but to exert power over others. The owner is going to sue and I certainly hope he does and wins, but no amount of money will ever erase the trauma of seeing his beloved companion being shot dead for no good reason at all. WARNING: The video is pretty graphic and may be quite disturbing to some.

California cops shoot rottweiler dead in front of owner Leon Rosby Rottweiler Life
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2013, 01:22 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
This happened several months ago. I think we already have a thread on it...

Old 09-17-2013, 03:24 PM

910 posts, read 2,293,938 times
Oh, thanks, I didn't know!

Old 09-17-2013, 11:16 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
Even then that is mostly supposition being a pet owner and lover myself. But then I'd never place my dog or act in such as way that my dog might think I was endanger from a police officer either.

Last edited by texdav; 09-17-2013 at 11:29 PM..

Old 09-18-2013, 07:49 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
A lot of vagaries here. Was the dog leashed or not leashed? Did the dog act aggressively? Were the police working in a hostile or poorly controlled environment?

Generally speaking, unless there are substantiated details showing some sort of negligence or misconduct, I'm going to side with the police.

Old 09-18-2013, 01:42 PM

7,280 posts, read 10,954,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
A lot of vagaries here. Was the dog leashed or not leashed? Did the dog act aggressively? Were the police working in a hostile or poorly controlled environment?

Generally speaking, unless there are substantiated details showing some sort of negligence or misconduct, I'm going to side with the police.
Siding with the police in the absence of other information is like deciding someone is guilty until proved innocent, don't you think?

Once you've been conditioned to side with the police you form a prejudice because it is harder to change your mind once you decide to accept a certain perspective than remain questioning. You can see this in effect when you hear about such stories and take the side of the police. How often do you research past what was heard to see if in fact other circumstances show a different view?

The problem is that more and more, use of force is the go to solution. If you see a person and the police in a scuffle, what thought first enters your mind:

1. I wonder what that person did wrong?

2. I wonder why the police are scuffling with that person?

Those two questions might seem the same, they are very different because one in actually a question open to new information while the other is an accusation that presupposes the person actually did something wrong. With the first, the idea that the police are wrong never comes to mind.

That is dangerous but more and more it is becoming the accepted thought process.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:53 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Now if we could just get that to happen to every free roaming pitbull in the streets, we'd be much better off as a society.

Old 09-19-2013, 10:41 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,284,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Even then that is mostly supposition being a pet owner and lover myself. But then I'd never place my dog or act in such as way that my dog might think I was endanger from a police officer either.
Then you better make sure you never come across one when you've got your dog with you...don't matter how YOU act.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM

334 posts, read 716,592 times
Pig crap does what pig crap does. This is the new Amerika. Deal with it.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:43 AM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Siding with the police in the absence of other information is like deciding someone is guilty until proved innocent, don't you think?
No. The law requires that I not interfere with the police. The law also requires that no one resist arrest. If someone is scuffling with the police they are breaking the law. So I know who is breaking the law at that moment.

It was a horrific scene. The owner of the dog placed an innocent animal in a dangerous position. I probably would have opened fire before the police did, though. They waited, the dog did not back off, and when he lunged, they shot him.
I do think one shot would have sufficed. And perhaps the dog would have lived.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies