Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 08:37 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times

Advertisements

Everybody wants everybody to like them. The Church is so insecure these days due to the thousand cases of reported and unreported incidents of child abuse..that they are attempting to cut a deal with the devil himself in order to survive. Conservative members of the church don't have a problem with gay....but they do frown on sodomy and abortion.....I can see them softening their stance on homosexuality...but to pair that up with more liberal approach to abortion destroys the last bit of credibility these people have - Imagine....okay two men or two woman can be together....aborting the landings of human angels..(abortion) is not so bad? Talk about pandering.....I think Obama would have made the perfect pandering pope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 PM

3,391 posts, read 4,484,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
In a recent interview with an Italian newspaper, Pope Francis basically said those people who are "obsessed" with the "gentially related moreal issues" need to chill with that....

I like this pope. he's like the most bro'd down pope since Pope Brad the Chill (not an actual pope) I'll even go so far as to say he's like the Beyonce of organized religion. Who agrees?
I find it amazing this pope is getting so much praise for this.

Reminds of when Herr Ratzinger (Benedict XVI) got praised when he said--in 2011!--that maybe using condoms to prevent the spread of AIDS wasn't sinful after all. Why do we always give religious people so much credit for finally showing the common sense and decency secular people have already been showing for decades?

Old 09-20-2013, 09:02 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,377,352 times
Right. No one gets to be a pope in the Catholic Church these days because he is an altar boy. He knows dirt, and has no doubt hidden child molesters, and been a political animal for decades...in South America, no less...

Old 09-20-2013, 09:38 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,336,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Right. No one gets to be a pope in the Catholic Church these days because he is an altar boy. He knows dirt, and has no doubt hidden child molesters, and been a political animal for decades...in South America, no less...
I don't agree.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:46 PM

10,564 posts, read 12,825,816 times
Church and state have never been separate entities...they are both political bodies...This Pope reminds me of a politician who is more interested in maintaining his own position than really serving the people through doctrines some might not like. It's pandering....if the Vatican was to conduct a poll where a majority approved of eating feces...He would deem feces as being a holy substance. It's much like the way Obama and most modern politicians rule these days...lets find out what the people want and even if it is not good for them lets give it to them anyway. It;s kind of like letting a child eat candy for breakfast lunch and dinner....as long as the child is quiet and pacified that is all that counts....even though he may have no teeth by the age of 10.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:58 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,462,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Church and state have never been separate entities...they are both political bodies...This Pope reminds me of a politician who is more interested in maintaining his own position than really serving the people through doctrines some might not like. It's pandering....if the Vatican was to conduct a poll where a majority approved of eating feces...He would deem feces as being a holy substance. It's much like the way Obama and most modern politicians rule these days...lets find out what the people want and even if it is not good for them lets give it to them anyway. It;s kind of like letting a child eat candy for breakfast lunch and dinner....as long as the child is quiet and pacified that is all that counts....even though he may have no teeth by the age of 10.
What?! I'm sorry, but can I ask if you are a Roman Catholic? Do you understand the Jesuit order? Do you know anything of their vows? I'm just trying to understand where you're coming from with a post like the one above. It would help me a great deal in being able to better respond. Thank you.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Are you specifically referring to Pope Francis?

Old 09-20-2013, 11:04 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,453,077 times
Basically this Pope is stating that he can pick and choose which parts of Catholicism he wants to follow. This is completely ridiculous. Either follow a religion completely or don't follow it at all; there is no picking and choosing. Next thing he'll be adding an "acceptable boundaries of Pedophilia" clause to the bible. This Pope is completely full of ****.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:08 AM

507 posts, read 917,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WSPHXPELON View Post
This is completely ridiculous. Either follow a religion completely or don't follow it at all; there is no picking and choosing.
Why not? I don't think you've thought this through, or perhaps you have pointless obsession with ideological purity. But besides that, it is in fact the job of the pope to set doctrine. He can pick and choose whatever he wants.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Everybody wants everybody to like them. The Church is so insecure these days due to the thousand cases of reported and unreported incidents of child abuse..that they are attempting to cut a deal with the devil himself in order to survive. Conservative members of the church don't have a problem with gay....but they do frown on sodomy and abortion.....I can see them softening their stance on homosexuality...but to pair that up with more liberal approach to abortion destroys the last bit of credibility these people have - Imagine....okay two men or two woman can be together....aborting the landings of human angels..(abortion) is not so bad? Talk about pandering.....I think Obama would have made the perfect pandering pope.
You're jumping to far too many conclusions. The Catholic Church, via the Pope, will not be softening their stance on abortion. That just will not happen anymore on them embracing the idea of the death penalty. What you may see, hopefully, is a more modern approach to allowing birth control to avoid conception in the first place.

Further, why do you view the Church as being "insecure? Might it instead be a case of Mea Culpa via Pope Francis and we're going to move forward and ensure evils do not happen under our direct watch again and even greater - move ahead with the belief that the Church, like Christ, should be far more encompassing and forgiving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies