Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:50 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,666,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
I tend to remember this story differently... Goes like: President speaks with his ego, his bluff is called, and because of his ego, he attempts political suicide, and Putin (of all people) negotiates him an out.

This certainly wasn't an Emmy award-winning political performance, as you seem the think.
Sometimes results matter more than style points.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 09:00 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,881,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Sometimes results matter more than style points.
And I would agree, as I think this could have turned out a whole lot worse. But to attribute this to Obama is a stretch. That man wanted badly to strike Syrian forces, and I'm not sure why.

(and before any Obama lovers get defensive, understand that I'm not a conservative, and I don't hate Obama. I just strongly disagree with how the last couple of presidents exercised foreign policy in the Middle East)

Old 09-22-2013, 09:05 PM

2,526 posts, read 3,052,917 times
If we took military action against every country that has engaged in domestic atrocities, we'd be in a state of perpetual war. The only entities that would gain from such a situation are those who profit from the manufacture and sales of the weapons of the war trade.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:09 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,135,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
But hey he deserves it. We do to for having his punk ass elected over nothing more than racism. The time has come to Just Say NO to Obama and his PC clones.

If we don't we better start learning to speak Russian, or produce a real leader sooner than 3 years.
Only on the Internet facts don't matter... The first black president is a racist... boo woo... woe is me...

Old 09-22-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Some_Random_Guy View Post
And I would agree, as I think this could have turned out a whole lot worse. But to attribute this to Obama is a stretch. That man wanted badly to strike Syrian forces, and I'm not sure why.

(and before any Obama lovers get defensive, understand that I'm not a conservative, and I don't hate Obama. I just strongly disagree with how the last couple of presidents exercised foreign policy in the Middle East)
I would agree with that. Clinton, Bush, and Obama included.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:55 PM

27,152 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac_Muz View Post
You surprised?

No! I didn't think so Putin didn't push Bush either... Putin know Obama is that rag doll. No Balls Obama. One look at Obama and you know it's his wife wears the pants in that family unit too.

Until now Obama has just been lucky.

A real question... is it up to the USA to punish Assad ?

Hey, hey!

We are too busy being punished by Obama.

Old 09-22-2013, 09:57 PM

27,152 posts, read 15,327,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Not sure I get the gist of the OP's post.
Assad crossed the red line. Obama personally threatened to bomb the crap out of the Syrian Military structure and give the rebels a decided edge. Obama goes to Russia for an economic meeting and has a closed door meeting with Vladimir Putin. A few days later, Russia and Syria announce that Syria will hand over all it's chemical weapons for destruction under the auspices of the UN. On Friday as per the agreement, Syria handed over a detailed list of their chemical weapons to the UN.

Seems that our president made some tasty omelets out of broken eggs.

What's not to like?

Oh, I get it. Obama hit's one out of the international park. Very bad for republicans. Must put negative spin, spin, spin.

No, the egg is on his face.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
No, the egg is on his face.
The whole issue is a partisan perspective. Depends on where one stands. What's new?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:47 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So we turn a blind eye to the use of weapons of mass destruction just because the geopolitics are messy?
Yes. Because it is not our fight.

If we try to take out Assad without "boots on the ground," it will mean drone or missile attacks, which probably won't hit the target, and if they kill innocent people (quite likely), they reboot anti-American outrage, and juice up a new batch of terrorists.

How many times have our military interventions created lasting peace in a part of the world that did not want peace?

Old 09-22-2013, 10:55 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,765,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I believe in American Exceptionalism..
Ok, sign up and go to it. Do a kamikazie mission. Or send your kid to do it. Neocons are famous for talking tough, when their lives are not on the line.

The problem with American Exceptionalism is that the rest of the world doesn't buy it (nor would you if the tables were turned). They don't want us policing the world. It is a late 20th Century paradigm. Germany and Japan thought they were pretty exceptional in the first half of that century, and Britain thought is was exceptional in the 18th and 19th centuries. China is going to blow by us in the next decade, and this will be their century. Fine with me. That exceptionalism stuff is overrated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies