Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2013, 01:11 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,459,446 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
BTW, I have yet to hear anything about the incident at Sandy Hook being a conspiracy.
Then I guess you haven't been paying attention.

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...erall-wtf.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ter-drill.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-shooting.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ge-caught.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/true-...kh-temple.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...re-staged.html

Basically, there isn't anything that can't be "conspiracy-fied" by anyone with sufficient imagination and motivation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,071,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
I put a lot of the blame on all of the dumb Hollywood productions that portray the government, the president, the military and almost all civil institutions as competant. It's an ongoing, never-ending theme in movies and TV shows. Personally I detest this kind of "entertainment". It effect more people than just Americans. All of this garbage is exported all over the world and believe it or not, the people who watch this crap form their opinions of the USA by it.
There, I fixed it for you.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:21 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,529,442 times
Default Why are conspiracy theories so popular?

Because in America, most of us went to Sunday school and learned about a middle eastern fantasy that the adults tried to convince us was real. Since then, many aren't able to deal with the real world. They prefer a make-believe version.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:31 PM

2,117 posts, read 1,880,118 times
Conspiracy theories are fun, intriguing, and have a level of sinister mystique, with allows people to believe those conspiracies, much the same way a child believes in Santa Clause.

That said, there's a lot of merit behind some conspiracy theories. Example: I firmly believe we know very little truth about the Kennedy Assassination.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:37 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,722,105 times
I saw Elvis down in Denver today.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I saw Elvis down in Denver today.
Was he in that same UFO with JFK and Michael Jackson?

Old 09-24-2013, 02:55 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,510,782 times
It allows people to explain their failures and things beyond their control on some contrived story.

Old 09-24-2013, 02:59 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,631 times
Hmm its probably since some Conspiracy theories actually are proven true. A Conspiracy theory sometimes is a little fact and fiction but its the facts that government LIES to us I think makes Conspiracy theories worth a shot at reviewing.
Now if we didn't catch the government in lies and we all just believed whatever they said we would never find the truth. If we no longer are thinking human beings with the right to find our own answers then why not just give up on life now. FACT is government lies and if we really knew how much they lied to us we would all have to Question authority!

Old 09-24-2013, 03:02 PM

167 posts, read 164,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Anything the government does not want a citizen to question they deem a conspiracy theory. Similarly GW Bush said that if you don't believe him then you must be a terrorist. The OP uses a similar tactic as he identifies anyone who believes in a so-called conspiracy theory as being stupid.

Isn't interesting how he OP introduces this post mixing believable with the bizarre. BTW, I have yet to hear anything about the incident at Sandy Hook being a conspiracy.

Trolling perhaps???

I take offense to the claim I am trolling. I am merely trying to see what others think of them. I do equate stupidity to believing in conspiracy theories because all of them are complete bunk. How do I know they are complete bunk? Because I believe the government tells the truth about events such as 9/11, Sandy Hook, etc. Unless otherwise proven, keyword proven, the government is telling the truth. I suppose you think I am trolling because you don't believe a lick of anything Big Brother government says.

Old 09-24-2013, 03:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,320,820 times
It makes people feel "special", like they're in the know about some great secret that others aren't privy to.

Within the realm of conspiracy theories, information is highly valuable - indeed, it is made valuable by becoming part of of the conspiracy. "What They don't want you to know" is a phrase that is heard and seen everywhere in Conspiracy Land. Because if information is suppressed by Them to keep it away from you it must be secret, it must be rare, it must be valuable. It's the same force that drives people to brag about a band that only they have heard of, or say "I know something you don't know", even though this defeats the purpose; nothing is cooler than knowing something someone else doesn't. The problem with conspiracies is that people mistake such hoarding value for truth value, i.e., if information is suppressed by Them to keep it away from you it must be secret, it must be rare, it must be valuable, it must be true. Therefore the trope continues to be used to add value, and the illusion of truth, to information.
Conspiracy theory - RationalWiki
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies