Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2013, 09:03 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
You and your ilk whine and cry every chance you get. THE SKY IS FALLING!

I find it amusing that you think the President of the United States is an 'utter failure on every level of his life' whilst you type away on CD.

You go.
Did you just make a post on CD criticizing someone for posting on CD?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,884,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
democrats had total control the first 2 years obama was in office, and what do we have to show for it? a health care bill that was rushed through, and more and more americans are disliking. we also have cash for clunkers. that was a resounding success. we have the porkulis bill that people seem to forget about that was an utter failure. I think obama and democrats were doing well enough taking themselves down without any help by this congress. I say pass everything they want. they've proven they have horrible ideas. nope, I didn't contact the old state. I don't think I have ever canceled a registration, so I may be registered in 4 states. I rarely vote though, because it's a complete waste of time. especially in MD, where I live now. this state is full of LWNJ's.
Democrats don't march together in lockstep. Just like Republicans don't. Look at the divisions in the Republican party now, look at people claiming that this politician or that politician isn't a REAL Republican. The fact is that historically, Republicans have been much more cohesive than Democrats, but regardless of which party controls what branch of government, there is rarely a consensus on long-term policies.

I'm no fan of ACA, but healthcare must be reformed, and the Republican approach, do nothing, is inexcusable. Something has to be done, and quickly, and the do nothing approach is irresponsible as well as an attempt to avoid accountability. Whatever issues you have with the current administration, or with liberals in general, I don't think President Obama or Democrats are "taking themselves down".

As for voting, I vote every time I can. And I'm a liberal in the heart of DEEP DEEP CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN territory. My vote may not affect the outcome, but it's not wasted. Elections aren't just about win/lose. Elections are a forum for voters to let the government, and other voters, know where they stand. The fact that my candidates generally (but not always) lose, that policies I don't agree with get passed, does not dismay me. I don't expect to win. But the candidates and other voters know that this LWNJ is among them. Ha!

Old 09-28-2013, 09:04 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
You whine about everything, and like most others of your mindset, remain deaf and dumb about it.

In fact, it is endemic amongst the Tea Party, who can only hear their own shrieks and groans, and nothing else.
I whine about nothing. I observe and laugh.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:07 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Democrats don't march together in lockstep. Just like Republicans don't. Look at the divisions in the Republican party now, look at people claiming that this politician or that politician isn't a REAL Republican. The fact is that historically, Republicans have been much more cohesive than Democrats, but regardless of which party controls what branch of government, there is rarely a consensus on long-term policies.

I'm no fan of ACA, but healthcare must be reformed, and the Republican approach, do nothing, is inexcusable. Something has to be done, and quickly, and the do nothing approach is irresponsible as well as an attempt to avoid accountability. Whatever issues you have with the current administration, or with liberals in general, I don't think President Obama or Democrats are "taking themselves down".

As for voting, I vote every time I can. And I'm a liberal in the heart of DEEP DEEP CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN territory. My vote may not affect the outcome, but it's not wasted. Elections aren't just about win/lose. Elections are a forum for voters to let the government, and other voters, know where they stand. The fact that my candidates generally (but not always) lose, that policies I don't agree with get passed, does not dismay me. I don't expect to win. But the candidates and other voters know that this LWNJ is among them. Ha!
I think republicans wanted to allow health insurance to be sold across state lines. that might help lower the cost, but I have no clue. I agree that health care needs reform, but I don't know enough about obamacare to know whether or not the changes in the bill will do anything. I do know that my costs have gone up.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Actually obstructing the asinine and destructive policies of a pathetic amateur is what's best for this country.
Actually formulating a productive policy, and building a constructive dialogue with the Democrats to move this country forward would be what's best for this country. The Tea Party isn't just obstructing asinine and destructive policies, they are obstructing every policy. That's not what's best for this country. Holding the country hostage is not what's best for this country.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:12 AM

10,029 posts, read 8,347,675 times
Quote:
Actually formulating a productive policy, and building a constructive dialogue with the Democrats to move this country forward would be what's best for this country. The Tea Party isn't just obstructing asinine and destructive policies, they are obstructing every policy. That's not what's best for this country. Holding the country hostage is not what's best for this country.
Really? Harry Reid has absolutely been incredibly amenable to addressing GOP proposals and allowing them to come up for a vote.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
I think republicans wanted to allow health insurance to be sold across state lines. that might help lower the cost, but I have no clue. I agree that health care needs reform, but I don't know enough about obamacare to know whether or not the changes in the bill will do anything. I do know that my costs have gone up.
Insurance costs are only a small part of the problem. Health care costs are multiple times higher in the United States than in the rest of the world because our health care system is inflated, by insurance costs but also by the lack of transparency in how the costs are formulated, by legal costs, by how we expect healthcare providers to recoup their losses on the uninsured, by the entire design of the health care system. We've designed a system that is prone to corruption and price-inflation. And with baby boomers now beginning to retire and of an age where they are increasingly reliant on that health care system, we have a recipe for economic meltdown. No nation can devote as much of its economy to healthcare as the United States does. An economy has limited resources, and when healthcare is consuming the bulk of those resources, other sectors, other PRODUCTIVE sectors, don't have the resources to grow.

Some of the provisions of Obamacare are good, and will help. But some of the provisions aren't good. And we are seeing the bad, right now, with insurance companies spiking coverage rates nationally. It's not just insurance companies that are hedging their costs against the future, health care providers are also doing the same thing, but because we don't have the transparency in health care provider costs that we do have insurance provider costs, that's not getting as much media attention. However, this industry-wide rush to raise prices is a HUGE problem, because as anyone can tell you, raising costs tends to be much easier than lowering costs.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:24 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,419,987 times
Quote:
I kinda thought what was best for the country was allowing our representative form of government work.

Imagine if the tides shifted and republicans were saying "those liberals standing up for abortion rights need to just quit obstructing...."

There isn't anything obstructive about electing people who represent your views.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Really? Harry Reid has absolutely been incredibly amenable to addressing GOP proposals and allowing them to come up for a vote.
I think Harry Reid has not been amenable to most GOP proposals. But a realistic evaluation of the proposals that he's been opposed to are Tea Party proposals that, in my opinion though perhaps not yours, are actually not even representative of the GOP as a whole. Boehner has been letting Tea Party proposals go through in order to keep his position and in order to avoid a complete splintering of the GOP. But the Tea Party's obstructionism isn't good or right, for the GOP or for the United States.

I value the conservative voices in America, and even the ultra-conservative. Because I believe that our government has to hear ALL the voices of the citizens of our great country, in order to formulate balanced policies that truly reflect the American political landscape.

But that does not mean that I think it right for one contingent of the political spectrum to hold everyone else hostage. Our system depends on negotiation and compromise. The refusal to compromise isn't good for the country, it just feeds the egos of those who refuse to compromise. It's a power trip. And it hurts the nation.

Old 09-28-2013, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I kinda thought what was best for the country was allowing our representative form of government work.

Imagine if the tides shifted and republicans were saying "those liberals standing up for abortion rights need to just quit obstructing...."

There isn't anything obstructive about electing people who represent your views.
No, there isn't anything obstructive about electing people who represent your views. But once those elected people decide they will not compromise, will not negotiate, and will not allow the government to function, then that IS obstructionism, and that's not allowing our representative form of government to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies