Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 12:08 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,291 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
How many idiots didn't know Obamacare was going to be unaffordable for the working class? In Obama's own heavily Dem Chicago:Affordable Care Act: High deductibles could pinch consumers - Chicago Tribune
How many idiots think that the working class being on the hook for a $5,000 deductible is worse than having to pay the total bill for catastrophic medical expenses like a one week hospital stay?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 12:33 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
How many idiots didn't know Obamacare was going to be unaffordable for the working class? In Obama's own heavily Dem Chicago:Affordable Care Act: High deductibles could pinch consumers - Chicago Tribune
I, too, have my doubts about these "High-D" policies. I could have written the Trib article myself. Many times in these health care discussions on CD, conservatives have touted these policies. They compare policies that provide anything more than bare-bones coverage to car insurance policies that pay for oil changes. They yap on and on about "personal responsibility". Such policies are available. Many patients at the practice where I work that have such policies want to get antibiotics prescribed, have X-rays ordered, etc w/o having the patient examined because they have to pay for the visit! The chickens are coming home to roost.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:08 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
How many idiots think that the working class being on the hook for a $5,000 deductible is worse than having to pay the total bill for catastrophic medical expenses like a one week hospital stay?
I think you nailed it.

Old 10-15-2013, 01:11 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Yeah, because a "one size fits all" approach is exactly right for every single person in the country. Everyone knows that the people living in rural Nebraska have exactly the same requirements, needs and wants as those living in New York City.
How would their needs differ on a per capita basis?

Old 10-15-2013, 01:19 PM

1,794 posts, read 4,916,146 times
You know what?
Something is better than nothing.
Get it?

Old 10-15-2013, 02:26 PM

398 posts, read 819,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
You know what?
Something is better than nothing.
Get it?
Not necessarily. I wanted a piece of cake. I got a piece of ****. I would rather have nothing if its ok by you.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:28 PM

89,031 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
You cherry pick media stories to support what you want to believe.
Find any Chicago newspaper article that proves the Chicago Tribune wrong about what working class Chicagoans will have to pay for Obamacare insurance. Let's see it.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
They weren't on the hook for that. They had less expensive, lower deductible health insurance until Obamacare ruined that. You must not have read the Chicago Trib article.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I, too, have my doubts about these "High-D" policies. I could have written the Trib article myself. Many times in these health care discussions on CD, conservatives have touted these policies. They compare policies that provide anything more than bare-bones coverage to car insurance policies that pay for oil changes.
The problem is that frequently, the bare-bones "High-D" policies are all the working class people can afford out of the Obamacare policy options. The Trib article clearly stated that 21 of the 22 low-cost policies had those very high deductibles.

Old 10-15-2013, 02:57 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
The problem is that frequently, the bare-bones "High-D" policies are all the working class people can afford out of the Obamacare policy options. The Trib article clearly stated that 21 of the 22 low-cost policies had those very high deductibles.
So? That's what you guys want people to have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
He should. Birth control pills aren't health care.

The only way to decrease the costs of health care is to make everything fee for service except the catastrophic things.

Everyone can pay for a routine office visit, no one can pay for a liver transplant.

People need to stop being dependent on the government for every little thing they want.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
For many people, a high deductible plan is the most sensible decision and financially smart. The premiums are lower because the insurance doesn't pay squat unless you get seriously ill- which is exactly when I need insurance.

I recognize this type of plan doesn't work for everyone, especially those with chronic conditions or minimal savings to cover those high deductibles. But I should be able to choose that type of plan if it fits my needs and financial position.

My car insurance doesn't pay for my oil changes, tune ups or new brakes. It pays for when the car is seriously damaged. I cover the rest out of pocket and from savings from emergency funds. That's how I want my health insurance to be set up, too. Unfortunately, the ACA has effectively taken that choice away from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies