Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:51 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,851,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are correct.

I just see a lot of very young people making poor financial decisions.

Buying items like that at that stage of life and income is taking the first steps towards financial slavery.
We ALL know people like that, many dig themselves into that whole when they are young and dumb.

you cant make that assumption. you dont know if she has money or not. 2,500 means different things to different people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 09:53 AM

2,553 posts, read 2,443,121 times
I'm sure this has been mentioned but, if you actually read the article it explains that Barney's did NOT call police. There were under cover police were already in ghe store and did this on their own.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:54 AM

8,653 posts, read 6,158,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
What about age, clothing etc.?
What about it...

Old 10-24-2013, 09:55 AM

79,138 posts, read 61,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Even if the store had been targeted for use of fake id and Ccards...Barneys has a company policy which triggers the phone call to the police.

It indeed will be interesting to see what the policy is and what the trigger is and whom is the reciepient of these triggered calls.

The Police keep records.
Absolutely. Clearly they had a major prob. with fraud theft. We will eventually find out if the policies they put in place were racist or if they had certain items \ purchase methods or age criteria or if they knew they were being targeted by an organized theft ring like russian mob or irish travelers or a black gang or asian counterfeiters etc etc etc.

I mean, they had 47+ arrests so they have some idea of whom is targeting them.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:56 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,300,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
You are correct.

I just see a lot of very young people making poor financial decisions.

Buying items like that at that stage of life and income is taking the first steps towards financial slavery.
We ALL know people like that, many dig themselves into that whole when they are young and dumb.
I don't disagree, but people still have the freedom to be idiots. Also, the poster I was responding to stated that buying the purse is a dumb move independent of economic status and I don't agree with that position.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,489,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
They didn't know she was law abiding until they checked everything out.
They should have assumed she was law abiding like everyone else first. There is no reason they should have suspected her of anything else.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM

32,909 posts, read 19,601,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
you cant make that assumption. you dont know if she has money or not. 2,500 means different things to different people.
actually we do know she doesnt have much money or means

from the OP's story link

Kayla Phillips, 21, a nursing student from Canarsie......a foundation he runs to give financial aid to students facing economic hardships — people like Phillips and Christian, who are both working their way through college.

Phillips was then working at Home Depot and had recently opened a bank account with Bank of America. She was using a temporary ATM card that didn’t have her name

They kept asking how I could afford this expensive bag and why had I paid for it with a card with no name on it,” said Phillips

btw ...by the pictures...she's pregnant

Read more: Another black Barneys shopper accused of credit card fraud after buying $2,500 purse: claim - NY Daily News

Last edited by workingclasshero; 10-24-2013 at 10:30 AM..

Old 10-24-2013, 10:02 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,489,473 times
Once again people are going to focus on the purchase as opposed to the injustice she suffered.

Blame the victim.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM

835 posts, read 1,044,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
actually we do know she doesnt have money

from the OP's story link

Kayla Phillips, 21, a nursing student from Canarsie......a foundation he runs to give financial aid to students facing economic hardships — people like Phillips and Christian, who are both working their way through college.

Phillips was then working at Home Depot and had recently opened a bank account with Bank of America. She was using a temporary ATM card that didn’t have her name

They kept asking how I could afford this expensive bag and why had I paid for it with a card with no name on it,” said Phillips

Read more: Another black Barneys shopper accused of credit card fraud after buying $2,500 purse: claim - NY Daily News

That doesn't take away from the fact that she was stopped, harassed, and questioned about a legit purchase. Was it a dumb decision to purchase a bag that expensive? Yeah. Did she deserve to be harassed by police for it? No.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 AM

79,138 posts, read 61,269,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I don't disagree, but people still have the freedom to be idiots. Also, the poster I was responding to stated that buying the purse is a dumb move independent of economic status and I don't agree with that position.
I agree. I know someone in my profession that would buy a purse like that. Then again, they are middle-aged and make about 250k a year.

I have a sportscar whose TIRES cost around 1800 for a full set so I'm not throwing any rocks around my glass house about people that like to spend their money as they see fit. I just feel bad if they really can't afford the item and never got a good finanical education and are digging themselves a hole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies