Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2013, 08:46 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,515,594 times

Advertisements

I don't get this policy. How can a department store call the cops on their customers after they already purchased an item that they, the store, approved of in the first place. If she spent that much on a handbag, you have to check ID no matter what. If everything checked out the store would have no liability if it indeed was fraud. I mean, it is only so much they can do. Check id, compare signature, verify with bank even. When I worked at Macy's that was out policy. We would never call the police after the sell was all set and done and customer already left store. The only time we would call the police if at a later point it turned out the card was stolen. But thats a different story.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-24-2013 at 09:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I guess you've never heard of fake IDs.
I usually agree with your posts Ed but not in this case

Retailers does not train their staff to identify fake id's. They have to check that id and signature t match. If the purchase is very large they sometimes have to verify with the bank.

But they should not call the police just because she didn't look like she could afford something. Thats like retail 101 we were all taught during orientation when I was hired at Macys. Treat every customer the same. Some years ago celebrity Viona Ryder was caught shoplifting in a LA or NYC upscale department store. You just never know.

Last edited by glass_of_merlot; 10-24-2013 at 09:06 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:16 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,677,623 times
Quote:
So cops should only stop someone unless they are 100% sure? There is a concept in the law called probable cause.
There's also a concept called just cause.

Last edited by dub dub II; 10-24-2013 at 09:30 PM..

Old 10-24-2013, 09:21 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,557,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I don't get this policy. How can a department store call the cops on their customers after they already purchased an item that they, the store, approved of in the first place. If she spent that much on a handbag, you have to check ID no matter what. If everything checked out the store would have no liability if it indeed was fraud. I mean, it is only so much they can do. Check id, compare signature, verify with bank even. When I worked at Macy's that was out policy. We would never call the police after the sell was all set and done and customer already left store. The only time we would call the police if at a later point it turned out the card was stolen. But thats a different story.
Actually, the opposite happens to be true in my own anecdotal experience. The higher the price of the sale, the least likely salespeople are to ask me for ID (even without the card being signed)

Old 10-24-2013, 09:31 PM

30,317 posts, read 23,796,575 times
Quote:
So cops should only stop someone unless they are 100% sure? There is a concept in the law called probable cause.
Actually, I used to work as under cover store security. If you are NOT 100% sure, you face a big, fat lawsuit on your hands. Is it worth it to profile someone? She bought the bag with her credit card. Do they have proof that she committed fraud, or were they just stopping her for SWB?

Old 10-24-2013, 09:40 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,643,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
If she is receiving financial aid for school and is unmarried and 21 and having her 2nd child and is on any sort of public assistance or got earned income credit this just feeds into the welfare queen stereotype. I'd say no more assistance. I'm all for letting people sink if they continue to waste the resources they are given. That's a whole other can of worms. Perhaps conservators for those who get government funds under certain circumstances. I don't know.

However, if she is doing it all on her own with limited funds and has no plans to receive aid for herself or her kids then by all means, spend away. The transaction was suspicious though (no name on a card is always a red flag) so I'm not opposed to it being questioned, just maybe how it was done.
This sums it up in my opinion. The only way to get a tax refund of that size, in her economic situtation, is through the EIC, which is money she didn't earn and pay in. It is a gift for having a child on little income and the government (you and me) paid for it. And, taking that money and spending it on a $2,500 purse is insane. How they detained and questioned her is another story.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Actually, I used to work as under cover store security. If you are NOT 100% sure, you face a big, fat lawsuit on your hands. Is it worth it to profile someone? She bought the bag with her credit card. Do they have proof that she committed fraud, or were they just stopping her for SWB?
Yes, I remember our LP verifying this. It was times when I witness something I was pretty sure was theft or fraud, but LP couldn't do anything about it.
No they had no proof. They just assumed.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:03 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,042,510 times
Haha!

Liberals eating their own.

Also - Obamacare imploding.

Hello GOP victory 2014 and 2016.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:10 PM

32,820 posts, read 19,518,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post

2. Nobody is dismissing the fact that identity theft is a problem. The problem is that they profiled her with no just cause.

Can any of you tell me why she was profile and handled by cops?
yes
1. prego youth wearing not so nice clothes walks into a high end store
2. buys a 2500 handbag with a debt card WITHOUT A NAME ON IT
3. is a student with a part time job

lots of red flags

Old 10-25-2013, 03:09 AM

835 posts, read 1,041,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
yes
1. prego youth wearing not so nice clothes walks into a high end store
2. buys a 2500 handbag with a debt card WITHOUT A NAME ON IT
3. is a student with a part time job

lots of red flags
Unless the clerk knew her personally, 1 and 3 would have been unknown.

Only one thing left and they could have easily called the bank to check it out.

Also, how do you know what she was wearing at the time of the incident?

There was no reason for this to happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies