Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:48 AM

6,897 posts, read 4,750,310 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equal-Opp. View Post
The issue has nothing to due with these individual finances. It has to due with them being profiled for unacceptable reasons.
Also what exactly do you mean by "the end of the week a whole slew of Black kids will claim discrimination"?
It has become a scam and the black underclass have learned how to work it. Claim discrimination, get a check, slip and fall, get a check. Get it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2013, 04:50 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,121,470 times
Both situations appear to be clear cases of profiling. Whether being based on race or appearance.

If a customer is willing to spend $350 on me, let alone $2,500, there's know way I'd ever do anything to try to demean that person.

Barney's can probably expect to lose some business.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorel36 View Post
In the country that you escaped from the government does not protect people's rights but in America it is unconstitutional to arrest someone just because you "think" they have might have done something wrong. You need probable cause. The 4th amendment protects people from tyranny.
They can be detained for 24 hours.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
What about it...
White or black, I would be suspicious of any 21 yr old spending $2500 on anything.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:12 AM

5,976 posts, read 15,265,276 times
Default Everyone profiles...

Profiling is normal. If you get on a train, or a bus and someone wreaks of body order, do you scan the citizens seeking out the best dressed and groomed persons, or do you look for the dirtiest person? Answer that and you are PROFILING! Of course, I know someone will say they don't look, the smell does not bother them, in which case they are not profilers, just liars.

Old 10-25-2013, 05:41 AM

33,553 posts, read 18,147,060 times
I didn't see $2500 worth of purse.. why would anyone buy that purse ? The rich can afford it so if they want to throw away money they can.. this woman is throwing away money .. even the rich throw away money but they can afford to.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:12 AM

199 posts, read 241,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I didn't see $2500 worth of purse.. why would anyone buy that purse ? The rich can afford it so if they want to throw away money they can.. this woman is throwing away money .. even the rich throw away money but they can afford to.
So what? It ain't your damn business.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:18 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Yeah, there ought to be a law!!!

Any time someone wants to buy something 'expensive', they should have to provide their tax returns to prove they make enough to 'throw away'!

Just gotta love those republicants...always screaming for smaller government, but dreaming of enacting laws that will dictate every second of everyone's life, down to what purse they should or should not buy.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:32 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,475,494 times
It doesn't matter if the purchase make sense or not. Who cares! Why is that even the issue here. To some women a really nice handbag is like a really nice car to some guys. Its a status thing even though they are dirt poor otherwise. But again, this doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if she could really afford it.
You can't detain and accuse somebody of stealing or fraud because they are not financially savvy. Some years ago my husband and I bought a car we could not afford. But we bought it anyways with debt over our ears. STUPID decision on our part. However, do you think the car dealer should have looked at us and said to himself " this people can't afford the payments for this car, not with their current debt......maybe the money isn't really theirs....maybe its fraud...im just gonna sell them the car and then call the police".

This department store seems to have problem with "poor" people that doesn't fit the mold of the rich, buying expensive items. Im not sure why that is. If they had problem with fraud in the past, did they not learn from that and implemented new policy's to prevent it from happening. If fake ID's was a problem for instance, train your staff to identify a fake id. I have a hard time believing the store manager telling their associates to profile as a form of fraud prevention. When I worked retail we were strictly told not to judge the book by its cover, because we just don't know who is going to spend money in the store. And in the end that is the bottom line here. The store is there to make money out of you, nothing more nothing less.

Yes, I know, everybody profile, I do too. It normal. But if you are going to accuse someone of fraud or stealing and detain them, you better be damn sure you are right.

Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,642,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
When I worked retail we were strictly told not to judge the book by its cover, because we just don't know who is going to spend money in the store. And in the end that is the bottom line here. The store is there to make money out of you, nothing more nothing less.
Good post!

It reminds me of the times when my daughter was into rings. She wanted one of each stone (except diamonds; she didn't like those). So for Christmas and her birthday, we'd go to a jewelry store to pick out a new ring. She ended up with about five or six, if I recall.

Although I could well afford to purchase those rings, I do not generally dress like I have money. It's just more of a comfort thing. My daughter and I would go to the mall where there were several jewelry stores. Two of them would NEVER serve us. I would see the clerks looking at me, but they would never come over to help or show us any rings.

One store, though, did treat us exactly the same as someone coming in with a mink coat and diamond necklace. We would make the purchase and walk past the two other stores, waving the bag with the ring in it, just to show them what A-_oles they were!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies