Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:13 AM

46,307 posts, read 27,131,867 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
Those who think they are getting free healthcare are just as ignorant as those on the right who believe it does just that...
SO, you disagree with the links provieded that state exactally that? Not what is the links, but what the link says....

Or how are you going to spin this one?

Who is the ignorant one?

I have attached a screen shot of the actual web page with the FULL web address....
Attached Thumbnails
Where's my FREE HEALTHCARE!!!!-screen-shot.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 09:17 AM

2,982 posts, read 4,103,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just wondering where it is.

I thought that is what Candidate Obama promised when he got elected.

Free Healthcare.

So where is it. I went to the ACA website and I have to pay.

Imagine that... Paying for a service. What a novel idea!

Seriously... As a Canadian, I have been entertained for years by Americans (and some very ignorant Canadians) who seemed to think that the Canadian health care system was free. The Yanks would toss this "fact" around and demand the same in their own country. I guess y'all are learning the hard way that *someone* has to pay the doctors' wages and hospitals don't use black magic to keep the power running.

If it's any consolation, at least you won't be bankrupt after suffering a heart attack and paying for the subsequent bypass surgery. Unfortunately, your current insurance premiums are going to quadruple for you to enjoy that little peace of mind.

Edit: I should point out that we do pay "health care taxes" here in Canada, as well as a 13% tax on all consumer goods an services provided. On top of that, we have (IIRC) a $0.45/liter tax on gasoline, a 24 case of beer is $35 and we pay 20-50% more for electronics, all on top of private health coverage premiums for services not covered by our Health Plan. Can you guess where a great deal of all this extra tax money goes? That's right: health care.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:21 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post
Imagine that... Paying for a service. What a novel idea!

Seriously... As a Canadian, I have been entertained for years by Americans (and some very ignorant Canadians) who seemed to think that the Canadian health care system was free. The Yanks would toss this "fact" around and demand the same in their own country. I guess y'all are learning the hard way that *someone* has to pay the doctors' wages and hospitals don't use black magic to keep the power running.

If it's any consolation, at least you won't be bankrupt after suffering a heart attack and paying for the subsequent bypass surgery. Unfortunately, your current insurance premiums are going to quadruple for you to enjoy that little peace of mind.
Well . . . it's obvious you didn't read the whole thread!

But thank you for your thoughts.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annuvin View Post

Edit: I should point out that we do pay "health care taxes" here in Canada, as well as a 13% tax on all consumer goods an services provided. On top of that, we have (IIRC) a $0.45/liter tax on gasoline, a 24 case of beer is $35 and we pay 20-50% more for electronics, all on top of private health coverage premiums for services not covered by our Health Plan. Can you guess where a great deal of all this extra tax money goes? That's right: health care.
Ohhhhh! So that's the answer to the question...
"where's the money going to come from?"
You sure you don't have the same money trees that Liberals here in America think we have?

Old 11-01-2013, 09:45 AM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Terrific post.
It will be totally ignored by those who chose to remain ignorant.
Proud2beAMom has already admitted she's on board with transitioning the U.S. away from our progressive tax system and into the highly regressive tax systems national healthcare countries use to fund their health care. Are you on board with abolishing our country's progressive tax system and enacting highly regressive taxes, too?

If so, that would make a total of two of you. Now all you have to do is convince the rest of your liberal/Dem kindred to do so, as well.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Ohhhhh! So that's the answer to the question...
"where's the money going to come from?"
You sure you don't have the same money trees that Liberals here in America think we have?
^ ^ ^ All Libs, everywhere, have access to the same money trees. Just different forests.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:54 AM

Canada: where 1/5 of New York hospital patients come from.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:06 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,916,734 times
Quote:
Well . . . it's obvious you didn't read the whole thread!

But thank you for your thoughts.
He was giving his general opinion on the topic of what Americans think of the Canadian healthcare system. It's not a "free system" and neither would be any form of American healthcare whether it is single-payer or a multiple-payer like it is now.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM

577 posts, read 436,279 times
Quote:
Yep. Free healthcare.

I guess someone is going to say that this vid has been edited . . . The man clearly has misled folks all over the country.

And may I remind anyone who keeps clinging to the elimination of pre-existing conditions as the "big success" of ACA . . . that could have been done at anytime, with a piece of legislation, at the STATE LEVEL. Insurance commissioners could have insisted that no one sells insurance in their state if they base policy decisions on past health. Regardless, at the Federal level, a ONE PAGE bill (amendment) would have solved this situation . . . we didn't need 2000 pp of mandates to insist that insurance companies drop that restriction.

Obama has purposely and with great deliberation mischaracterized what ACA was all about . . . he said no one will have to give up their existing policies . . . he said that this would mean lowered healthcare costs when it has actually increased insurance premiums in most cases . . . and has meant diminished COVERAGE (which means more out of pocket costs).

Most folks don't realize that come 2015, employers who offer their employees what the government is calling "luxury" plans (notice how they used a word that implies it is unnecessary???) will have to pay a excise tax on those plans. HUH? YEP!! You read that right!!! They are offering their employees the best coverage out there and they are going to be punished for it! Now why on this earth would the government do that? YOU TELL ME! It is to push those companies into dropping those plans and getting on board with the government exchanges. WHY? FUNDING! So your government is willing to PUNISH those employers who are providing premium insurance policies to employees. WHO THE HECK ARE THE LEGISLATORS WHO CAME UP WITH THIS STUFF?????
First we can debate whether it could be done On a state level,as you say, fore pre-existing conditions. You eliminate those clauses without a mandate to accompany you are the making it okay for people to not have insurance and only getting it when they get sick. That's like saying you don't have to insure your car but if you crack it up on a Monday, then you can go out the following Tuesday and get insurance and no problem we'll fix Mondays accident. Makes no sense.

As for Cadillac plans. Cadillac plan provides for only 1 copay in many cases for a series of tests rather than a copay per test, as an example. It causes lots of abuse in the system with doctors often ordering many tests that may not really be necessary and the patient not caring because it doesn't cost them more. That raises the cost of care for everyone else. I certainly expect copay for every procedure or test run. The more I need the more I pay. Your upset about the few that will loose their Cadillac luxury plans, but your not concerned for the many that have NO plans whatsoever. So that a few lucky ones can keep it, your willing to say to the rest, the hell with you? There are trade offs to be made in a society.

None of this would be an issue mind you if we had a one payer system because we'd all in essence have all the coverage we'd need.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:12 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,214,723 times
Ani...sounded to me like he was providing proof that Canadians do indeed pay quite a bit for their 'free' health care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies