Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2013, 06:36 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The poor pay higher rates than the rich - state and local
They pay slightly higher rates - state and local, but MUCH lower amounts. PLUS they get MUCH more than the rich in state and local government services and benefits. Current effective tax rates; add them together to get the total burden:

A Distributional Analysis of Tax Systems - Local, State, and Federal

Top quintile's total effective tax rate: 35.6%
Bottom quintile's total effective tax rate: 13%
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 06:38 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
You are thinking the same things I am!

I will see if I can find an explanation on all this b/c I have looked and so far, all I can find is charts showing what the salary qualifications (by number of people in family) . . . but no clearly defined statement saying . . . you won't have to pay that high premium every month.
Well its plain and simple then... If the consumer is only writing the check for the smaller amount... there should be NO credit on the 1040. And.. if there is.. the only figure that could be there would be the total dollars spent in total by the consumer. If they credit that.... it means the taxpayers are paying 100% of the premiums.... That does and would look like another EIC scam??????

Old 10-31-2013, 06:41 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,524,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They pay slightly higher rates - state and local, but MUCH lower amounts. PLUS they get MUCH more than the rich in state and local government services and benefits. Current effective tax rates; add them together to get the total burden:

A Distributional Analysis of Tax Systems - Local, State, and Federal

Top quintile's total effective tax rate: 35.6%
Bottom quintile's total effective tax rate: 13%
Great info! Thank you!

I think everyone would be pleased to see our tax rates go down, or a flat rate for everyone up to a certain amount.

Our tax laws are such a mess . . . I read the other day how many new regs were created b/c of ACA and I thought - oh my - like we needed thousands more regs . . .

Old 10-31-2013, 06:43 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Copsgirl73 View Post
Its called sarcasm.

And there are plenty of folks out there who thought this, their mortgage and even gas woud be paid for...with all that ObamaMoney.
Plenty? 1 person said it... and for you and other schmucks listened to Hannity say a bunch of people felt that way and you believed him.

Its sad reading Obama detractors dumb themselves down.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:44 PM

577 posts, read 436,279 times
The big problem is that any healthcare reform or any form of healthcare be labeled "free". There is no such thing.

What we hoped for is a "shared" health care system. What we got was Obamacare. Not perfect, but a step in the right direction.

America isn't ready for what we really need. What we got was government regulation of health insurance industry. Too many , however, have no clue what it is and that is blamed on right wing pundits who have trashed it from its inception purposefully spreading misinformation and distortions about it.

Ironically, the model that we got was originally put forth by the conservative group Heritage Foundation that even stated that an individual mandate was needed. As we all know, Romney built the model of ACA in his home state. But, of course, when Obama was elected anything they were once for, they were suddenly against.

Facts are irrelevant. Any actual factual information pointed out to those that hold so tightly to their "hate" of Obamacare, is automatically dismissed as being "liberal" . Apparently facts have a liberal bias. .. LOL

I read the law, I have in on my Kindle and I'm FLOORED at how much misinformation and outright lies are thought to be fact out there.. its' quite sad really.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:47 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,659,336 times
Quote:
Great info! Thank you!

I think everyone would be pleased to see our tax rates go down, or a flat rate for everyone up to a certain amount.

Our tax laws are such a mess . . . I read the other day how many new regs were created b/c of ACA and I thought - oh my - like we needed thousands more regs . . .
I agree on a flat tax but the rich aren't fans of that or it would be in place.

Taxes are at historic lows already...
THE HISTORY OF TAXES: Here's How High Today's Rates Really Are - Business Insider

Old 10-31-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
Well its plain and simple then... If the consumer is only writing the check for the smaller amount... there should be NO credit on the 1040. And.. if there is.. the only figure that could be there would be the total dollars spent in total by the consumer. If they credit that.... it means the taxpayers are paying 100% of the premiums.... That does and would look like another EIC scam??????
I am so confused at this point . . . I guess the IRS will be tracking everything through our SS #s . . . and verifying that the people claiming the subsidies truly qualified.

I guess if you claim the subsidy and then let's say you get a bonus that puts you over the line with qualifications, you owe the IRS money to replace the subsidy they paid on your behalf.

?????

Old 10-31-2013, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I agree on a flat tax but the rich aren't fans of that or it would be in place.

Taxes are at historic lows already...
THE HISTORY OF TAXES: Here's How High Today's Rates Really Are - Business Insider
Well, my experience has been, paying that Alternative Minimum Tax SUCKS. It would be a lot less taxes to pay if they would just eliminate the AMT.

And then if everyone paid 15% flat tax, that would actually be a HIGHER effective rate for a lot of folks. So that is not good!!!

I wish I understood how Corporate America fits into all this but I have no problem admitting that I don't understand corporate taxation.

All I know is . . . folks on the bottom to the middle are suffering and there has to be a better way.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:55 PM

3,997 posts, read 4,145,823 times
Quote:
I am so confused at this point . . . I guess the IRS will be tracking everything through our SS #s . . . and verifying that the people claiming the subsidies truly qualified.

I guess if you claim the subsidy and then let's say you get a bonus that puts you over the line with qualifications, you owe the IRS money to replace the subsidy they paid on your behalf.

?????
I'm just trying to follow the money trail.... It will be interesting to see which particular section of the 1040 this "credit" will be attached.... And you know that it will be one of those "worksheets" which make it impossible to follow in a simple way.

Old 10-31-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus10 View Post
I'm just trying to follow the money trail.... It will be interesting to see which particular section of the 1040 this "credit" will be attached.... And you know that it will be one of those "worksheets" which make it impossible to follow in a simple way.
Of course! It wouldn't be the IRS, otherwise, lololol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies