Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 11:44 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
How is ACA a whole stinkin' mess simply if in your case you pay slightly higher premiums, if it guarantees you the ability to buy insurance at about the same cost (okay in your case slightly higher) if you lose your job, which would be impossible had ACA not passed? Sure, maybe you have a really secure job and your only worry are the slightly higher premiums but for others who can finally get insurance after being denied for many years, it's not a whole stinkin' mess for them.
FUMBLING . . . you have obviously not read the whole thread. I WANT MY FREE HEALTHCARE. But since I can't have that . . . I WANT MY OLD POLICY BACK. I can't have it back b/c it isin't offered any more. Stop with the crazy talk about how 2000 pp of legislation were really only about pre-existing conditions. It would have taken a FEW SENTENCES to create that mandate. We didn't need all the regs and IRS involvement if all that was needed (and that anyone seems to LIKE) is to force insurance companies to drop the pre-existing conditions clause. So stop the madness. Obama promised me - and millions of others - that I COULD KEEP MY HEALTHCARE POLICY . . . and sorry . . . HIS MANDATES have now forced my insurance company to DROP that policy. So stop trying to convince me how happy I should be about the LIES. I will never be pleased about being lied to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:59 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,606,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
FUMBLING . . . you have obviously not read the whole thread. I WANT MY FREE HEALTHCARE. But since I can't have that . . . I WANT MY OLD POLICY BACK. I can't have it back b/c it isin't offered any more. Stop with the crazy talk about how 2000 pp of legislation were really only about pre-existing conditions. It would have taken a FEW SENTENCES to create that mandate. We didn't need all the regs and IRS involvement if all that was needed (and that anyone seems to LIKE) is to force insurance companies to drop the pre-existing conditions clause. So stop the madness. Obama promised me - and millions of others - that I COULD KEEP MY HEALTHCARE POLICY . . . and sorry . . . HIS MANDATES have now forced my insurance company to DROP that policy. So stop trying to convince me how happy I should be about the LIES. I will never be pleased about being lied to.
Okay, I would be irked too. But the fact remains that I would also realize that heaven forbid, you lose your job, AT LEAST YOU CAN STILL GET INSURANCE WITH ACA WHEREAS BEFORE YOU COULDN'T! I know that doesn't apply to you right now but it does apply to other people right now and yes maybe there are people mad as hell like you but there are others who are thankful as hell.

Last edited by fumbling; 10-30-2013 at 12:46 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,323,443 times
Quote:
Just wondering where it is.

I thought that is what Candidate Obama promised when he got elected.

Free Healthcare.

So where is it. I went to the ACA website and I have to pay.

You got a link to back up what you are claiming? Obama promised affordable care not free.

Old 10-30-2013, 02:37 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,327,118 times
I don't call my 65% increase "affordable".

I give it the name of "oppressive".

Old 10-30-2013, 06:44 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,977,255 times
Quote:
But what does this MILLIONAIRE stuff have to do with FREE HEALTHCARE?

I asked where my FREE HEALTHCARE IS . . . I can't even get reasonably priced healthcare.

All Obamacare is offering is HEALTHCARE INSURANCE and it sure as heck is not free. Maybe it is free for some folks out there but it isn't free for me. Nor do I get a subsidy.

So is there someone getting free healthcare out there?

Seems like everyone has to get insurance, then even folks who were on Medicaid are not getting anything free, either. Or maybe the subsidy makes up for it.

CONFUSED.
The national model is now somewhat based on the Massachusetts model before Obamacare. The state required everyone to have some form of health insurance or be fined some negligible amount on their tax return. Of course not everyone in Mass. could afford the market rate of health insurance and so the state provided subsidies according to income level. So someone making $9 an hour, hardly a liveable wage but the best they could do, would get partial subsidy; someone unemployed with no assets would get a full subsidy. Those making 30 or 40 grand a year could still get a subsidy depending on the number of dependents and amt of assets. This program allowed nearly all people in the state to be covered by insurance.

People rant about having to kick in for subsidies for others, but it has been apparent in my state at least that if taxpayer money is not spent on healthcare it's spent on other social safety net programs which have been in place to prevent social conditions leading to crime and chaos. When too many people fall into poverty it sorely affects the middle class especially. Historically the upper classes have understood this and have not been so opposed as the middle class has been to public subsidies.

The common perception of free health care comes out of the hyping media and public fears. The stereotype of the minority woman with 15 kids on subsidies is always there, always possible, but the majority of people getting help with health insurance have been vastly underemployed or unemployed. If they did not get health insurance subsidies through the state that match the healthcare subsidies provided by employers to employees, a rapid state of degeneration would ensue. One way or another, through one federal or state program or another (taxpayer funded health clinics for the poor, etc), taxpayers will pay in for those at the bottom.

None of this is sustainable in the long run, of course, just like other federal programs such as SS and Medicare are not sustainable in the long run. We are headed for a cliff or we have arrived at the cliff and are dangling by a thread. America has serious social problems that have emerged with the capitalist system turning on the middle class relatively recently. With the upper classes untouchable, it's the strained middle class that has to foot the bill.

I share your anger and bewilderment, but it is what it is.

Last edited by RiverBird; 10-30-2013 at 06:52 AM..

Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 AM

2,502 posts, read 3,407,050 times
Under ACA, my husband and I will not be allowed to keep our affordable health care plan. We will be required to sign up for a more expensive one that we do not need or pay a significant penalty. Do we pay this penalty each year for the rest of our lives? An ACA 'expert' in California told a family member that it is an annual penalty.

What happened to the promise that "if you like your current plan, you can keep it"? Apparently, Obama and his cronies knew that wasn't going to be the case at all. They lied before the elections and now they don't give a d*mn what American citizens think or how it affects them. Obama's agenda--by ANY means necessary.

If this fraud--or Benghazi or the IRS scandal--had been performed by a conservative president, liberals would be hysterically demanding he/she be impeached. Why isn't anyone holding Obama accountable? His arrogance is staggering.

Last edited by Fern435; 10-30-2013 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 10-30-2013, 07:50 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
You got a link to back up what you are claiming? Obama promised affordable care not free.
Nah, the poster claims to work for a company that advises other companies to drop their insurance to increase their profits.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
I don't call my 65% increase "affordable".

I give it the name of "oppressive".
Depends on how much it was before, a 65% increase on $20-30 a month isn't that big of a deal, though if you were paying a couple thousand a month, then it would be a huge increase.

Old 10-30-2013, 08:02 AM

46,302 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on how much it was before, a 65% increase on $20-30 a month isn't that big of a deal, though if you were paying a couple thousand a month, then it would be a huge increase.
WOW....you know that 65% will not hurt someone, who cannot alreadynot afford healthcare or having a hard time making the current payment...

LOL....

Old 10-30-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
WOW....you know that 65% will not hurt someone, who cannot alreadynot afford healthcare or having a hard time making the current payment...

LOL....
Well then that person could probably qualify for Medicaid or possibly subsidies come tax time to reduce their cost in health insurance if their income is low enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies