Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2013, 09:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,198,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sorry. What you are saying is nonsensical. No one is going without healthcare insurance. Have you not noticed? We will all be under a single provider soon, anyway. That is where this is all leading! Please explain to me how it is of benefit to employees to charge them $9000 more a year in order to keep an insurance policy? Plus the employer has to pay additional premiums on that side, as well. No one wants to do that! At least this way, employees are freed up to use the exchanges to individually get whatever policy best suits their budgets and with the least offensive coverage. That still doesn't mean I do not WANT MY OLD POLICY BACK. MY OLD POLICY WILL NO LONGER BE OFFERED BY THE INSURANCE COMPANY!!!!! Are folks just not connecting the dots, or what??????
So you aren't losing your health insurance so your employer can save a few bucks and increase their own profits? Oh and I support the single payer plan, I wish the Democrats would have stuck to the original plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 10:45 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you aren't losing your health insurance so your employer can save a few bucks and increase their own profits? Oh and I support the single payer plan, I wish the Democrats would have stuck to the original plan.
Everyone, including the employer as well as the employees, would have had to pay more for a lesser plan and unless something changes (and I think it will) the ACA exchange we will pick up next year will not be as robust as the current plan (if folks decide to purchase something for the same price). The employer will have as part of the benefit package *allowance* for a new insurance policy. This is what employees as well as management felt was the reasonable thing to do.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:59 AM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
Quote:
It is rhetorical, but based on the anticipation that I will lose my Employer's policy after this year. The powers that be have allowed folks to keep the existing policy (with an increase in premium) for this year but have told everyone to be doing our research for next year.

Comparing my current policy's premium and what that would buy now . . . is not encouraging. My premium will go up but I will still not have the coverage I do now. However, I will have a lower deductible but see - I don't care about that. I am into wealth insurance, which is what health insurance really is. The deductible looks like it would be about $2000 less than our current policy.

Hubby has some health issues. Without getting into the specifics, I can relay that a procedure that presently will cost us over $100K and which we will have 90% coverage on will, under the new policy, only provide 80% coverage for that same procedure. That means - an additional $10K + out of pocket. That is significant.

Add that to the higher premium . . . and that is just one example. The procedure will also require other procedures and scans, and those will not be covered at 100%, but rather 80%.

It will be significantly more expensive and take a big hit to savings whereas the present policy would make things much more manageable financially.
Okay, let's say the new policy isn't as much to your liking as the old policy. What if you lose your job? You would lose your policy anyway. You both have pre-existing conditions, and pre-ACA you would not find insurance at any price after a job loss. At least with ACA you are guaranteed to be able to replace your insurance with the new policy instead of going without insurance, right? And during your job search I imagine you should qualify for health care subsidies.

Old 10-29-2013, 03:47 PM

2,294 posts, read 3,431,422 times
Obamacare can't do a damn thing right now, the website is down *again* so far I've been able to register but due to 'site technical issues' I haven't been able to shop for a policy. I refuse to call it the ACA when it clearly isn't, this was his idea, his baby, his route into the history books so he can deal with the biggest failure in US gov history being given his name.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumbling View Post
Okay, let's say the new policy isn't as much to your liking as the old policy. What if you lose your job? You would lose your policy anyway. You both have pre-existing conditions, and pre-ACA you would not find insurance at any price after a job loss. At least with ACA you are guaranteed to be able to replace your insurance with the new policy instead of going without insurance, right? And during your job search I imagine you should qualify for health care subsidies.
Bingo, and this is why the Cons hate ACA so much, they want to return to the good old days when people withh
out insurance through their employer could be denied insurance for the dumbest of reasons.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Alaska View Post
Obamacare can't do a damn thing right now, the website is down *again* so far I've been able to register but due to 'site technical issues' I haven't been able to shop for a policy. I refuse to call it the ACA when it clearly isn't, this was his idea, his baby, his route into the history books so he can deal with the biggest failure in US gov history being given his name.
You should write your Republican governor and thank him for dropping the ball by not creating a state exchange program like the Democrat governors created for their own states which would you to enroll through a state created program rather than having to go through the federal site.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:38 PM

7,508 posts, read 5,756,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I have been fine with it, though I have been able to get my insurance through my wife's company. Though in Oregon when we move back, it is very much affordable, so I am really looking forward to that.
Hey! Your now in a 5% group !!! Good for you buckaroo! How does it feel?

Old 10-29-2013, 08:01 PM

6,125 posts, read 7,477,620 times
This is the perfect storm! The outcome is absolutely brilliant for Obama! SINGLE-PAYER (government) health care (paid by working taxpayers) will happen almost right away due to the website debacle and millions of insured people being dropped by their insurance companies. As poor people jump on the free Medicaid plans and previously insured people are dropped by their insurance companies because their plans didn't meet the ObamaCare standards...and very few young people sign-up for ObamaCare at inflated premiums - there is only one thing that can be done. The U.S. government will start right away taking care of American's health care insurance. And that is what is called SINGLE-PAYER, which is exactly what Obama wants! The perfect storm...and no one 'gets it' yet! This is a big F***ing deal!

Last edited by highcotton; 10-29-2013 at 08:19 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
This is the perfect storm! The outcome is absolutely brilliant for Obama! SINGLE-PAYER (government) health care (paid by working taxpayers) will happen almost right away due to the website debacle and millions of insured people being dropped by their insurance companies. As poor people jump on the free Medicaid plans and previously insured people are dropped by their insurance companies because their plans didn't meet the ObamaCare standards...and very few young people sign-up for ObamaCare at inflated premiums - there is only one thing that can be done. The U.S. government will start right away taking care of American's health care insurance. And that is what is called SINGLE-PAYER, which is exactly what Obama wants! The perfect storm...and no one 'gets it' yet! This is a big F***ing deal!
Yep. You are totally correct. That is where this whole stinkin' mess is headed.

Old 10-29-2013, 11:07 PM

2,189 posts, read 2,607,072 times
Quote:
Yep. You are totally correct. That is where this whole stinkin' mess is headed.
How is ACA a whole stinkin' mess simply if in your case you pay slightly higher premiums, if it guarantees you the ability to buy insurance at about the same cost (okay in your case slightly higher) if you lose your job, which would be impossible had ACA not passed? Sure, maybe you have a really secure job and your only worry are the slightly higher premiums but for others who can finally get insurance after being denied for many years, it's not a whole stinkin' mess for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies