Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 10:41 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Education paid for, Student loans fulfilled.
Retirement handled.
Guaranteed vacation.
Helping the health of this country.

There are many good doctors making Officer pay right now in the Military that are living very nice lifestyles.

Listen it is just a model, but I believe America system is flawed by greed and mostly by our law system, which goes hand in hand with AMA's guidelines.

AMA is driven by defensive medicine and protecting Doctors from malpractice, that is a major flaw on top of the insurance companies greed.
Oh I know,our best friend is a Major in the Marines,apart from the small matter of having been away from his family half the time it is a great life...

I am not trying to beat you down or anything I am simply trying to show that the alternative might end up being worse than what we have now....

I worry about government involvement in my life,having dealt with gov't agencies when going through the naturalisation process.

Having thirty or so people 'forgotten' for two or three years doesn't inspire confidence.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:47 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Actually, they are officers because the military makes them so

What you might find interesting though, is how many make the military a carreer. It is a very small percentage. Many military physicans go into the military because their medical training / school was obtained through government programs (like ROTC). They make a 6 year committment to serve.

Most leave the military to go to private practice after that
Sure becuase they can make 250k a year doing the same thing.
However, the counter balance with that is they now have to deal with the AMA, insurance companies and worst of all, malpractice lawsuits.

Personally I think Doctors are paid a lot for their stress and much of that comes from defensive medicine and avoiding lawyers.
Constant struggling with insurance companies about getting paid would suck too.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:49 AM

How would you handle malpractice in your system?

Could a person sue?

Old 11-28-2007, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How would you handle malpractice in your system?

Could a person sue?
Well you know that Active Duty can't sue the government right?
Personally I would say do away with all of the malpractice suits, if a Doctor does something wrong due to negligence they get fired and lose their license, AFTER going before a Medical Review Committee.

The Lawsuits are out of control and is a bad way to balance healthcare IMO.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Well you know that Active Duty can't sue the government right?
Personally I would say do away with all of the malpractice, if a Doctor does something wrong due to negligence they get fired and lose their license.

The Lawsuits are out of control.
Well perhaps THIS might be done first and then we see what happens to the cost of medical care....

I agree by the way that lawsuits are out of control,problem is quite a few of our politicians are...........lawyers.

Old 11-28-2007, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Well perhaps THIS might be done first and then we see what happens to the cost of medical care....

I agree by the way that lawsuits are out of control,problem is quite a few of our politicians are...........lawyers.
The horrible thing is the AMA actually has to put unnecessary processes in place to avoid malpractice lawsuits.

Why do you think the C-Section rate in this country is so high? Because Doctors cannot chance an irregular birth because they could lose the baby and get sued.

Anyway I don't want to argue about C-Sections I am just using it as an example.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:03 AM

It is also why more and more OB/GYN's are leaving the specialty....

Reap what you sow.

I am sure someone will pass legislation forcing Doctors to become OB/GYNs...

Afterall that is seen as the answer,more gov't.

I am unsure if as many people would become Doctors if there wasn't a definite financial benefit to it.

Also something to remember about the military,on top of their pay they receive VERY good benefits in re: to housing allowances...in some places you live for 'free'(the allowance pays your rent/mortgage)

Old 11-28-2007, 11:05 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
You cannot legislate to prevent someone from suing another person if they have been harmed.

You CAN limit PUNITIVE damages. You CANNOT limit COMPENSATORY damages.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
It is also why more and more OB/GYN's are leaving the specialty....

Reap what you sow.

I am sure someone will pass legislation forcing Doctors to become OB/GYNs...

Afterall that is seen as the answer,more gov't.

I am unsure if as many people would become Doctors if there wasn't a definite financial benefit to it.

Also something to remember about the military,on top of their pay they receive VERY good benefits in re: to housing allowances...in some places you live for 'free'(the allowance pays your rent/mortgage)
I am not advocating a Doctor live in a shack and eat noodles so they can say "I help Americans stay healthy". They need to be paid nicely for their work, but 300k+? Come on, living on the beach right next to the Lawyer that protects them...that is an American thing.

UK Doctors get paid nicely, not insanely like ours, but nicely. Officers get nice beni's too.

Old 11-28-2007, 11:09 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
I am not advocating a Doctor live in a shack and eat noodles so they can say "I help Americans stay healthy". They need to be paid nicely for their work, but 300k+?
I'm sorry but, I know many real estate agents who make FAR MORE than 300K a year -

I cannot, and will not, ever CAP what ANYONE can make

If a Pro Ball player can make 10 / 15 / 20 million a year, so can a doctor if they can
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies