Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2013, 10:46 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,823,034 times

Advertisements

I wouldn't think of trying to use children out trick-or-treating to advance a partisan political agenda.

Why on Earth would you?

It's a night for children - they don't care what the message is (and they probably don't really understand it, anyway), they just want to have fun.

You know the neighborhood jerk who can never, never, set his political fixations aside?

Don't be that guy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2013, 11:55 AM

30,549 posts, read 16,240,407 times
doesn't look like the OP is coming back. Hope he at least backs off the idea.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I'm actually wondering about this.....I have an idea for Halloween tomorrow, and that is to have flyers about the negatives of Obamacare and the Obama administration, and about his war on coal here in WV and information about a protest against VP Biden this Saturday. And also flyers from a church and religious messages. I wonder if its okay to include these along with candy and give them to trick or treater and their parents, especially their parents. I would love to spread the word about how terrible Obama is for this country, and the specific things he has done to hurt our economy and our health care.

Do y'all think Halloween would be a good opportunity to spread this information? A lot of people out there truly are not educated about things like the illegal alien Dream Act, the deficit, Obamacare, Obama's war on coal, the Democrats urban centric policies and the negative impacts that they have on basically all Americans outside of his urban base.
It makes you sound demented. Handing out flyers about Obama's war on coal to four year olds?

Old 10-31-2013, 12:03 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,031,664 times
Hey - look at this. The conservatives and the liberals on here ALL agree that this is a monumentally bad idea. For the OP, absolutely do NOT do this. It will do nothing but cause anger towards you and whatever protest you are advocating for. Use the proper venues if you want to publicize a protest - the newspapers, media, etc. Kids should always be off limits.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:12 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
I'm actually wondering about this.....I have an idea for Halloween tomorrow, and that is to have flyers about the negatives of Obamacare and the Obama administration, and about his war on coal here in WV and information about a protest against VP Biden this Saturday. And also flyers from a church and religious messages. I wonder if its okay to include these along with candy and give them to trick or treater and their parents, especially their parents. I would love to spread the word about how terrible Obama is for this country, and the specific things he has done to hurt our economy and our health care.

Do y'all think Halloween would be a good opportunity to spread this information? A lot of people out there truly are not educated about things like the illegal alien Dream Act, the deficit, Obamacare, Obama's war on coal, the Democrats urban centric policies and the negative impacts that they have on basically all Americans outside of his urban base.
I agree people are not educated and this could mean disaster for many, but NO, it is not OK. This is the kids night, the night they enjoy living in their make believe world and having a few hours of fun, it is not the time to push our political or religious views. In fact our church does a trunk or treat night and there is no religious material at all.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:16 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,911,625 times
Quote:

You could do that but you'd be an obnoxious & selfish jerk when you should just be helping those kids have a nice holiday which they've waited all year for. Keep your politics to yourself for one evening and just let the kids enjoy the night.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:27 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,098,442 times
Short answer: No.

Long Answer: No, this is wrong. While you have every legal right to do this, let's look at how everyone else would see it. Snobbish. It's that simple. Your pushing a political agenda on a holiday for kids. It's comparable to handing out flyers at a Chuck E. Cheese's for a kids birthday party. Even if it's for the parents, it's not the right time to do it. There's a time and place for everything, and this isn't one of them. I'd imagine that even many of the people who AGREE with your agenda would find handing out flyers during trick or treating as generally inappropriate.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:09 PM

Location: NYC based - Used to Live in Philly - Transplant from Miami
2,307 posts, read 2,769,524 times
Definitely No.
Why does everything have to be infused by political propaganda?

Aside of that, I think the OP is a troll.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:28 PM

1,214 posts, read 1,697,607 times
Halloween should just be about fun, not pushing a political or religious agenda onto others. I'm a devout Christian saying this. Leave your politics behind, and let people have fun. If you want people to go to your church, just ask them politely or better yet hold a community gathering at your church for everyone on Halloween.

Old 10-31-2013, 02:35 PM

6,933 posts, read 8,498,655 times
Quote:
Is it okay to include political and religious handouts in Halloween
treats?

If you want to .. or someone else wants to ... yes, I think it's okay. The recipient isn't obligated to read what's provided, but in return for some treats ... why not a few tricks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies