Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2013, 07:02 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,415,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
+

That ended two years ago The state began "means testing" in 2011 and if you were worth too much they cut you off. Previous to that they only used line 37 on your 1040 to see if you qualify. I'm retired; so little income, no earned income. That's how it worked. I don't know how much people are getting here these days. But prior to Sept 2011 it was a lot.

The good news is that ObamieCare will cut my health insurance bill by about $420 a month for the same coverage. Better'n food stamps.

Keep calling me a liar and I'll run for POTUS. After all, probably the most important trait for the job these days (of course Hillary's a shoe in).
You'd never have a chance to win the Presidency. Exactly where did I call you a "liar"? And where is your proof that you received $280 per month for an individual receiving food stamps? Certainly you can come up with something.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:15 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
You'd never have a chance to win the Presidency. Exactly where did I call you a "liar"? And where is your proof that you received $280 per month for an individual receiving food stamps? Certainly you can come up with something.
I called him a liar.
I maintain my position until he presents factual data.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:27 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
I called him a liar.
I maintain my position until he presents factual data.
I am a decent human being. I don't call people liars without proof that they are. Are you in the habit of labeling people liars outside the internet?

Old 11-02-2013, 07:34 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,274,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am a decent human being. I don't call people liars without proof that they are. Are you in the habit of labeling people liars outside the internet?
The poster claimed he was getting $280/month from SNAP as a single person. I called him a liar and backed up my position. If you lie to me I will call you a liar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post

Yeah, but when I had foodstamps (until they started looking at your bank accounts [drat!..that was the end of it for me]) I was enjoying standing rib roasts and eating more steak then a football player in the Big Ten. Then there were the top shelf olive oils, European style butter (yum) and things like $5 a box muesli, and yummy peach pies at $10 a hit, West Virginia brand hams, veal..I could on and on... $280 goes a long way for one person. I was cooking with Martha Stewart priced stuff.
Quote:
You are a liar. SNAP pays a max of $200 for one person and that's today. The benefits used to be less.

Eligibility

Old 11-02-2013, 07:35 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,317,668 times
I am glad they are cutting food stamps. It is hard to keep going to work, being independent, and watching other people take and take. My friends who are teachers talk about the free lunch program. No one checks the figures provided by the parents. You have kids eating free, on Medicaid, and welfare who use I-Phones, dress well, and their parents have nice vehicles. What is wrong with this country that we can't correctly police our public assistance programs? I have no trouble helping the truly needy, but we are doing something wrong.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:38 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,911,312 times
Quote:
The poster claimed he was getting $280/month from SNAP as a single person. I called him a liar and backed up my position. If you lie to me I will call you a liar.
Well, he did admit to scamming us taxpayers; admitted he was a thief. A good chance he lies too.

Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 PM

423 posts, read 415,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Clearly you live in a world I am grateful I don't inhabit. I call people who are forced to work for minimum wage unfortunate.
Forced to work????

You should quit eating your screen name.

No one is forced to do anything.

Since you seem to know every damned thing, why don't you tell us all how those people are forced to be working minimum wage jobs?

Try and be as specific as you're able. We promise to be reasonably kind.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:17 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,152,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgianbelle View Post
I am glad they are cutting food stamps. It is hard to keep going to work, being independent, and watching other people take and take. My friends who are teachers talk about the free lunch program. No one checks the figures provided by the parents. You have kids eating free, on Medicaid, and welfare who use I-Phones, dress well, and their parents have nice vehicles. What is wrong with this country that we can't correctly police our public assistance programs? I have no trouble helping the truly needy, but we are doing something wrong.
Without knowing the statistics of the estimated 1.3% of actual Food Stamp fraud and abuse, how can you make a statement such as that? Do you think that the other 98.7% deserves to be punished? I agree that there should be ways to determine actual abuse and put an end to it, but this is not the way and it's not even going to make a big difference other than have an adverse affect on the people that need it.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:24 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,240,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Without knowing the statistics of the estimated 1.3% of actual Food Stamp fraud and abuse, how can you make a statement such as that? Do you think that the other 98.7% deserves to be punished? I agree that there should be ways to determine actual abuse and put an end to it, but this is not the way and it's not even going to make a big difference other than have an adverse affect on the people that need it.
Not disputing your numbers as I really don't know, but how are these numbers determined? is it based on people actually caught or based on some statistical model? Either way I wonder if it is as accurate as the alleged number of illegals in the country?
I don't know that actual number either and I doubt anyone really does. How can they. It isn't like people come forward and admit to the Fed that they are scamming the system.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:43 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,415,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Diamond View Post
Forced to work????

You should quit eating your screen name.

No one is forced to do anything.

Since you seem to know every damned thing, why don't you tell us all how those people are forced to be working minimum wage jobs?

Try and be as specific as you're able. We promise to be reasonably kind.
"Since you seem to know every damned thing"........and you expect me to answer YOU? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.