Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 04:24 PM

4,586 posts, read 5,615,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Maybe the parents didn't have day care available for that day. Who knows why they sent the child to school instead of keeping him home? Maybe the local JW church should provide day care on those days. However, the idea of a school devoting an entire day to celebrating Halloween or any other holiday is a little mind-boggling as well. My school district allows two holiday parties a year and they are confined to the last hour of the day. One of these parties wasHalloween at my kids' elementary school; kids would bring their costumes and put them on right before the party.
I would agree with that in bold above for the sake of that kid...it becomes a matter of majority versus minority, and that's not really fair.

The party wasn't all day, but they had the stuff up, and apparently that kid wasn't allowed around any of it. So weird. For example, a few parents offered to decorate the classroom, and they were told not to bring anything but pumpkins, but no ugly Halloweenie type Jack O Lantern designs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Ever seen this?
Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays? Americans Divided on That, Too

Retailers urging Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas?-Truth! & Fiction!

I am not sure if it is out of pure boredom or what, but why can't we leave things alone exactly?

I relayed the story as I heard it told to me, and considering the history of this issue as seen above, it wasn't hard to react to it!
Christmas is ONE day in a month with many different holidays, so happy holidays is completely appropriate.

12,265 posts, read 6,477,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The song "The Twelve Days of Christmas" cracks me up. As soon as the shopping is done and the presents (material junk) are opened, the holiday seems to be pretty much over these days.
Not to mention that it`s one of the most annoying Christmas songs. Just sayin`.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:36 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,654,320 times
Quote:
Publix is not a school! Or is it?

Did you understand from my original post that that kid was sent to an empty of any decorations room for the entire school period that day? That kid was completely isolated from his class for the whole day! Wasn't it simpler for those parents to just keep him home? how does that compare?
Someone told me they were Jehova's Witnesses or something of that nature...they brought their religion to school, and the school had to figure out how to accommodate for that! The school was already decorating, and celebrating Halloween! (All tho Halloween is not a religious holiday per what I know; so what was wrong with decorating a Pumpkin?).

Here's the thing; if we have these sects complaining about Christmas decorations, (which is quite silly IMO) then no decorations should go up for any other Holiday...Halloween, Valentine's day, Easter, 4th of July etc, all of these have been lumped together and every single grocery store decorates for each one. What's next? someone that got dumped complaining about Valentine's day to Publix, and asks Publix to stop baking heart shaped cupcakes? This is one of those instances where one idiot has to ruin it for everyone else...nothing more.
You seem to want to force a private company to decorate how you choose they should and then you seem to want to force a kid in school to stay out of school because of his religion. Why are you in this country if you seem to have a problem with the very basic rights of individuals and companies?

And as to your "All tho Halloween is not a religious holiday per what I know" comment.
Halloween can be traced back to the RELIGIOUS ceremonies of the ancient Babylonians, the pagan RELIGIOUS spread throughout the world from there. Maybe you should do some research before spouting off all the time.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:40 PM

764 posts, read 597,497 times
It's really dumb to get worked up either way. The people who think its wrong to say "Merry Christmas" and the ones who have to go out of there way to say "ITS NOT HAPPY HOLIDAYS. ITS MERRY CHRISTMAS." are both annoying...

Old 11-06-2013, 04:41 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Not to mention that it`s one of the most annoying Christmas songs. Just sayin`.
I agree.

Old 11-06-2013, 04:45 PM

872 posts, read 1,263,670 times
I really dislike seeing Christmas decorations in October, but if it means that or not having them at all, hang them in July. Hell, have them up year-round!

Old 11-06-2013, 04:47 PM

7,108 posts, read 8,978,509 times
If a store decides to not decorate for Christmas, it doesn't affect my life at all. If I want to decorate at home and keep decoration up all year, that's my business.

People want everyone to cater to traditions but don't want anyone to disagree with their thoughts.

Life doesn't work that way.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:26 PM

5,029 posts, read 7,232,184 times
Quote:
Publix called, and explained that they will put the decorations up, including a Christmas tree, and will stop saying "Happy Holidays" and will actually say: "Merry Christmas"! (No they won't say: "Merry Christmas instead of "Happy Thanksgiving"!)

Thanks Publix!
Speaking as the owner of Publix, I'm glad this issue has been resolved. Not only will every store have a Christmas tree tastefully set up next to the Ragu spaghetti sauce (Buy One, Get One Free!), I will order all of my employees to wish you a Merry Christmas from now until New Year's Day.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:30 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,541,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
You mean CHRISTMAS?
Well that didn't take long! Soon it will be time for the 200 'let's put the Christ back in Christmas' threads along with the "War on Christmas'; then we have the Happy Holidays vs. Merry Christmas threads . . and don't forget about the "Holiday Trees"!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies