Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymonk View Post
Politicians who give away the most free stuff is the winner.
Politicians who satisfy their constituents get more votes and are the winners.

From the LA Times about why Romney lost, according to Romney:

Quote:
Mitt Romney told his top donors Wednesday that his loss to President Obama was a disappointing result that neither he or his top aides had expected, but said he believed his team ran a “superb” campaign with “no drama,” and attributed his rival’s victory to “the gifts” the administration had given to blacks, Hispanics and young voters during Obama’s first term.
Ironic. These Romney donors gave him gifts of $900 million to pass policies that help them.

Romney was shocked that young voters preferred Obama who cut banks out as student loan middlemen and expanded Pell Grants, over Romney wanted to eliminate federal education funding and slash the Department of Education. As an alternative, Romney suggested that if you want to go to college, borrow money from your parents (clueless to anything but the insulated world he lives in where parents have that kind of money.)

The idea that voters shouldn't vote in their best interests but instead vote in the interests of the plutocrats, is absurd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 06:07 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
None. As a matter of fact I think they will win seats. There is a whole year for people to forget about the website bugs.
They won't forget about higher deductibles and losing their doctors...

Old 11-11-2013, 06:13 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,943,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It hasn't been established that there are higher deductibles and people will lose their doctors. The plans are generally better than the plans they replaced. I know you don't want to admit that but it's so.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,788,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It hasn't been established that there are higher deductibles and people will lose their doctors.
Is that some kind of joke? Have you not been watching the news? Even the MSM is now covering the news of Obamacare's high deductibles and the loss of access to doctors and hospitals...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/09/23/he...ices.html?_r=0

Old 11-11-2013, 06:23 AM

11,770 posts, read 5,783,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
It hasn't been established that there are higher deductibles and people will lose their doctors. The plans are generally better than the plans they replaced. I know you don't want to admit that but it's so.

I'd really like to know how you figure this? It's been well established that the deductibles and out of pocket is much more expensive than what most people are paying. The plans are not better to 99% of the people as they do not need maternity care, childhood dental care, mental care ect...

Does MTA stand for Metro Transit Authority in NYC - Since NYC survives by draining the rest of NY State, you think it's justified to spread it nationwide.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:27 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,604,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
I think they will win seats. Fell free to correct me in a year if I was wrong.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:30 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,004,356 times
Of course, a lot can happen between now and next November.

I agree that, for now, the shutdown will recede from the public's memory as time passes, yet, the Government is only funded until January 15th, and the debt ceiling reached again in February. If another shutdown occurs, who knows?

Obamacare? Again, who knows. I imagine that by early 2014 the Federal website will be fully operational, so I doubt that will be much of a factor in November. Other aspects of Obamacare may end up costing Democrats some seats, as things unfold.

I feel no need to start a new thread about this thought of mine: could one reason for the disastrous debut of the Federal exchange be, in part, due to sabotage? I keep thinking about Snowden, and how he felt he should appoint himself the guardian of the American public from the activities of the NSA, hence his theft and release of secret information. We seem to have more and more individuals who believe that they are the 'self-appointed' guardians of the Republic.

Could not one, or more, of the programmers have the same type of thought? Meaning, you have a programmer who thinks "I disagree with Obamacare, so I shall make sure that the website does not work October 1st". I know nothing about writing computer programs, but is it possible?

Old 11-11-2013, 06:37 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,364,164 times
I am not sure it is possible with out leaving a trace, but you should write the WH with your idea of a new talking point. They could say the system was hacked and it was those evil {R}s, even if it was untrue half the political imbeciles would slurp it up.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:48 AM

1,473 posts, read 3,571,263 times
Next to black citizens who tend toward bloc voting, the over 65 vote heavily. So upcoming elections might well be determined by seniors who are influence by 2 biggies: Medicare and Social Security. If those 2 programs are damaged or people think they are, then look out incumbents.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:53 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,666,120 times
Since you can't fix stupid, probably none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies