Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2013, 02:17 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,713,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
What tools were you given to make good food choices?? Was it your parents?? A class in school?? Trial and error on your part??
Actually, yes, a large part of my knowledge did come from my parents who made a point of not buying soda, for example, and also made a point of buying a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables, lean meats, etc.
I was very lucky.

I did also take a home economics class back in the dark ages when I was in the sixth grade. Those don't really exist any more.

There are many people who never had the benefit of either of these experiences. Where would you have them learn healthy choices when oftentimes their parents and grandparents lacked this knowledge as well?

Quite frankly, my parents worked very hard to overcome the deprivations that they experienced as the children of parents who were trying to survive during the depression. My grandparents suffered many health problems due to their diets much like those exhibited by the family in the OP. I've no doubt that their bouts with obesity, diabetes, heart conditions... were the result of compensating later in life for that early food insecurity.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,134,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Problem is, there's no evidence that "cutting foodstamps" or other forms of aid would reduce the birthrate among former recipients. The areas of the planet with the very highest birthrates (like Niger, Afghanistan, etc.) have no social welfare systems to speak of. And the US birthrate even among the lowest income quintile has been dropping in recent years rather than rising.

If food stamps caused people to have more kids, we'd be seeing a baby boom right now instead of a bust, since the rate of usage has risen so much since 2008. But we see the opposite.

You can always find individual cases that gall you or get up your dander, but as a policy, you have to look at the entire system, and the birthrate among American poor people is dropping.
Ok. So what does that mean? It means that the population replacement rate is in negative territory while government dependency is growing by leaps and bounds. Tell me how you reconcile that this is a good scenario for the future of this country?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:18 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Only if somone on the Left says it.... if someone on the right says it... it's racism.
It's "racism" if a conservative talks about fat, white, camo-wearing rednecks driving pickups with guns mounted in the back windows who call themselves "conservative"?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:20 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Californian34 View Post
doesn't this isht ever get old to you RWNJs? are these poor people really the ones threatening the prosperity of the shrunken middle class? no. the real death of America is coming to you courtesy of the rich elitists and their henchmen, the politicians, who are doing everything they can to destroy the middle class while telling you to "look over there! she's taking all your money getting over on food stamps!"
Too many of their brain cells have been killed listening to people like Limbaugh, Beck, et al.

They no longer think for themselves - they just regurgitate RW talking points.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:22 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,411,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
so you are familiar with all of those gun toting fat rednecks in NC, but you apparently never saw the fat black diabetics in greenville, greensboro, hillsboro, durham, wilmington, elizabeth city, fayette-nam, hickory, etc. all of those fat white gun toting rednecks voted for obama in 2008. you should move up to the northeast where they simply don't allow blacks. now the italians and the irish? that's another issue.
My family moved away from N.C. when I was a very little girl. Thank god. But I'm still in the South. I was fortunate enough to live in Miami for a few years, but I no longer live there. Of course the owner and physical location of Stormfront is just a little north of Miami in West Palm Beach.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:24 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,495,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Oh, I didn't miss the point. Not even close. It appears that in fact it is YOU who missed the point....which is liberal ideology leading to a net drag on society through government handouts. You folks OWN this woman and her problems. The sad part is that you actually embrace these problems instead of seeking to fix them.......all because you want a vote from these leeches.
It's not a liberal philosophy ...it's a conservative philosophy when right-wing politicians receive all that campaign money from ADM and Frito-Lay to push "cheap calories" onto an "unsuspecting public" in the name of "freedom to eat what you want", even if it will kill you, and then those politicians complaining about rising medical costs that result from their idiot actions!

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
My family moved away from N.C. when I was a very little girl. Thank god. But I'm still in the South. I was fortunate enough to live in Miami for a few years, but I no longer live there. Of course the owner and physical location of Stormfront is just a little north of Miami in West Palm Beach.
why are you thankful you don't live in NC? do you hate liberals and NYC? because those carpetbaggers have infested and destroyed the state. you'd love it now. miami sounds great if you are cuban, and love sweating.

76,971 posts, read 47,659,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
A doctor's appointment after eating a breakfast paid for by food stamps? Gee, I wonder who will be paying for that medical visit!

Of course, when a conservative steps up to try to put a stop to this madness, Democrats and liberals demagogue them (us) to death for trying to deprive little Juan or Tyrone or Jimmy of his Fruity Pebbles!

This woman is the THE PERFECT example of failed liberal ideology. She's the child of immigrants. She's fat. She's disabled. She does not work. She receive's food stamps. She has 5 obese children.

Is there a more perfect example of how liberals and liberalism are the death of America?

How the food stamp diet is leaving the Rio Grande Valley both hungry and obese | The Washington Post
Texas, that liberal cesspool. How dare they eat breakfast

10,942 posts, read 10,259,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan83 View Post
Education and easy access to contraception are the keys to lowering birth rates among those who cannot afford to have children, which is why you are seeing a declining birthrate among these groups.
I support FREE birth control to any and all - no income requirements or anything - just a quick medical exam for those methods that require it.

But, you know, they don't want to pay for contraception, even though it would be a fraction of what it costs to support a child until it's 18.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:25 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,755,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
It's not a liberal philosophy ...it's a conservative philosophy when right-wing politicians receive all that campaign money from ADM and Frito-Lay to push "cheap calories" onto an "unsuspecting public" in the name of "freedom to eat what you want", even if it will kill you, and then those politicians complaining about rising medical costs that result from their idiot actions!
so liberals don't pass laws for their friends? jesus christ. I have no words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.