Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM

30,249 posts, read 23,719,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
conservative website so i dismiss the story outright unless there is some independent confirmation.
Oh for Pete's sake, a 30 second Bing search found it:

WA woman cited as ACA success frustrated by sign-up process | KING5.com Seattle

Here, from the liberal mecca:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...gn-up-process/

Quote:
Washington state resident Jessica Sanford was bursting with pride when President Obama mentioned her story during a Rose Garden event on health care reform last month at the White House...

..."I was ecstatic. I couldn't wait to call the doctor for an appointment on January 2nd..

Her heartfelt letter made it to the President's hands and then into his October 21 speech.

"'I was crying the other day when I signed up. So much stress lifted.'"...

...her monthly insurance bill had shot up from $198 a month (she had initially said $169 a month to the White House but she switched plans) to $280 a month for the same "gold" plan offered by the state exchange.

...she decided to purchase the new plan and thought everything was fine.

...Last week, Sanford received another letter...stating there had been another problem, a "system error" that resulted in some "applicants to qualify for higher than allowed health insurance premium tax credits."

...The result was a higher quote, which Sanford said was for $390 per month for a "silver" plan with a higher deductible. Still too expensive...

...I had a good cry," Sanford said about her reaction to the latest news from the state.

..."This is it. I'm not getting insurance," Sanford told CNN. "That's where it stands right now unless they fix it."
Any more hand holding needed or can you do some of your own work from here on out?

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,218,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
conservative website so i dismiss the story outright unless there is some independent confirmation.
WA woman cited as health care success story frustrated by sign up process - Local News - Seattle, WA | NBC News
Maybe MSNBC is a better source for you

Old 11-19-2013, 09:32 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
About 60% of the DNC, and 40% of the RNC pools.

Your training is complete grasshoppa.

remember that florida lady who was the right wings example on obamacare and how bs that turned out to be.

forgive me for not buying everything that is produced on these right wing sites.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:43 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,781,054 times
I just logged back into healthcare.gov for first time in 30 days.

Site is probably 30% faster. Still some hiccups clicking through.

What's interesting is out of 148 plans available. Only 1 is HSA compatible.

This is no secret. Dems do not like hsa plans. The only hsa plan offer is also a rip off. Around $670/month. $9000 up front deductible (with 30% co pays) for max of $12700 in network.

Compared to my 2013 plan of around $750/month with a max $6000 in network deductible. Absolutely. Zero co pays in network after $6000.

If I want a $6700 deducible (which isn't HSA compatible) it will cost me $1200/month.

Do the simple math. Almost a 40% increase to try to maintain same $6000-6700 deducible. Also I would lose HSA compability with the new $1200/month $67000 deducible plan. I routinely put the max $6000 plus each year into my hsa. That would be I would lose a $2000 tax savings if I stray away from hsa plans.

Very sneaky of the ACA. This is the Dems backdoor way of getting rid of HSA plans altogether.

Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Their dislike for HSA plans were made known right up front when they were campaigning for the bill.

FSA and HSA accounts got more unfavorable treatment under Obamacare.
The threshold for your taxable out of pocket expenses got raised to 10% from the 7.5% it was previously in order to get any tax breaks.

These were arguments made to show that Obamacare was not making anything cheaper.
But the loyal followers didn't read and wouldn't listen to "the other side".

Old 11-19-2013, 10:12 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,673,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Rude Awakening for Federal Way Woman Who Got Shout-Out From President

A Washington state single working mom named Jessica Sanford was so overjoyed when she signed up for Obamacare that she broke down in tears.. She signed up for a Gold plan offered by Premera Blue Cross on Oct. 3. The premium was to be $169/mo. She was so ecstatic that she sent a letter of thanks to Pres. Obama. "So much stress lifted," she wrote.

His speech writers found the letter, and called to ask if they could use her story. On Oct. 21, Obama read parts of her letter at a Rose Garden event. She said it was the proudest moment of her life.

Last week she got a letter from the state saying it was all a mistake. She did not qualify for a subsidy. With her $50K income as a freelance court reporter, she is one of the rich that needs to pay her fair share. After weighing her options she decided that the only viable one was to remain uninsured. Not only is she still without coverage, now she gets fined $95 for it.
I believe her fine will be 1% of $50,000 or $500, which will be deducted from her 2014 tax return.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:16 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Obama: "...we've seen more than 100 million Americans already successfully enroll in the new insurance plans."

Wow.

PLEASE tell me someone called Obama on this?
Its like ron burgandy in anchorman. He reads whatever the prompter says.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

This is no secret. Dems do not like hsa plans. The only hsa plan offer is also a rip off. Around $670/month. $9000 up front deductible (with 30% co pays) for max of $12700 in network.

Compared to my 2013 plan of around $750/month with a max $6000 in network deductible. Absolutely. Zero co pays in network after $6000.

If I want a $6700 deducible (which isn't HSA compatible) it will cost me $1200/month.

Do the simple math. Almost a 40% increase to try to maintain same $6000-6700 deducible. Also I would lose HSA compability with the new $1200/month $67000 deducible plan. I routinely put the max $6000 plus each year into my hsa. That would be I would lose a $2000 tax savings if I stray away from hsa plans.

Very sneaky of the ACA. This is the Dems backdoor way of getting rid of HSA plans altogether.
Welcome to the big rip. Heads up, health insurance in this country has always been a rip. Now millions more will feel the pain. The dems do not own insurance companies. ACA does not own insurance companies. These are the very same for-profit health insurance companies that have been F*^%*&^ Americans for decades. I'm just a little surprised these companies could not wait at least a year to put the big squeeze on. Now be a good tool and pay your premium every month with no pay out from these legal organized rackets.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:23 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,448,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I agree, but how do you know? I go to the doctor maybe once every year, if that. But being over 60, you never know. I am not trumpeting Obamacare here, but I have never faced this kind of choice in my insurance coverage. We have so many plans here with all kinds of nuances and combinations of this and that. I am really stuck about what I should do. I tell myself that the worst I could pay is 6350/12700 and I would save a good deal of that amount on the lower premium in a cheaper plan. Plus, there are HSAs that would make all the medical costs tax deductible and I am in a marginal bracket where that would be attractive.
This is the decision us on individual plans have had to deal with for yrs. its what insurance is risk vs cost. Those so called junk plans were risk vs cost.

Old 11-19-2013, 10:25 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

In my state, the one of the HSA plans (bronze, $2500 deductible/person, 50% coinsurance above that) was the most economical way to go, even knowing some claims are coming. My Obamacare-compliant policy is the worst insurance I've ever had, it will pay just $3,750 on a $10,000 medical episode. But I'd be poorer if I went to gold or platinum, based on outrageous premiums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies