Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 06:24 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoke View Post
You can't spell student. Not only that, but your grammar is atrocious.
Humans aren't perfect.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:28 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,011,664 times
It is odd what some people get all upset about. Recall that in the first Sherlock Holmes story, Watson is outraged that Holmes was unaware that the Earth rotated about the Sun. Holmes is unabashed, stating that whether the Earth rotates around the Sun, or vise versa, was immaterial to his work (Watson was still trying to work out what Holmes did for a living).

Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Canada is the neighbor of America.

You don't see that as important?

Maybe you are just not geopolitically and economically minded.

Many liberals are not.

That is why we ended up with Barack Obama as president.
Perhaps you should review your Elementary School history and learn what actually puts the POTUS in the White House, it's apparent you're clueless.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:44 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I love geography and maps, and I am pretty disgusted by the geographic illiteracy of many Americans - including ones you would think who would know better.

But the premise of the OP is yet again another feeble and silly attempt at trying to pin an issue on political ideology, or bashing liberals, when there isn't really one. Yet another foolish stab by the One Who Refers to Himself in the Third Person.
I love geography too. It was my favorite subject in high school and middle school. I've participated in geography bees. To say the least I have a passion for it.

And like you, I am not happy with the way this has been turned into a political problem, as a reason to bash those who are liberals.

Lack of geographic literacy is not surprising. This is not a Harvard problem. This is a problem in America as a whole. I remember when I took geography classes. I got the feeling many of my fellow students simply didn't care.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:46 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
What's the capital of Canada? Watch Harvard students struggle to answer

LOL!

This must explain why President Obama thought there are 57 states.

Obama Claims He's Visited 57 States - YouTube

Harvard graduates a lot of liberals.

No wonder a disaster like healthcare.gov was created by them.

It is par for the course.

Isn't that where Terrence and Phillip are from?

Old 11-21-2013, 06:48 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
I did not know the capital of Canada. Most Americans really don't care about Canada. It's not that Americans couldn't remember the capital of Canada if they wanted to. Just there is no reason to care about anything Canadian.

Also, you said "liberals prove that their only tactic is to deflect" .. In my "which group is the most disfrachised in the US" thread, you were pretty much calling out errors left and right about spelling, grammar, etc. So you must be a liberal?
And there you have it! Ignorance comes from all quarters and not just the Liberal side of the aisle. American Liberals don't have a lock on the "ignorance franchise"; it's pretty much pervasive across the political spectrum..

Old 11-21-2013, 06:56 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Quote:
What's the capital of Canada? Watch Harvard students struggle to answer

LOL!

This must explain why President Obama thought there are 57 states.

Harvard graduates a lot of liberals.

No wonder a disaster like healthcare.gov was created by them.

It is par for the course.
President Obama "thought" there were 60 states, not merely 57.*

He said he'd campaigned in 57, was set to go to 1 more, and wouldn't go to 2 (Alaska and Hawaii). Wingers can't even get the facts behind their jabs at Obama correct.

*except he didn't really think this. He stumbled on the word forty and what came out was fifty.

47 + 1 + 2 = 50

Anyway, you could go to any college in the United States and find students who don't know the capital of Canada. You really grasp for anything to ding Obama with, pretty pathetic.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:08 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,231,338 times
Perhaps the Harvard students who were questioned were members of this:

| The webpage of the Harvard Conservatives Lunch Club and friends

A group so smart they still have a main menu link to "Romney 2012", despite the fact their blog is recently updated.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:09 AM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
In addition to what I said in my last post, there is one thing no one, and I mean NO ONE has thought of so far. Harvard lost its geography department in 1948, and as far as I know, there is just a research center for geography, in 2006.

ArcNews Spring 2006 Issue -- Crossing Borders: Geography Returns to Harvard

Home § Center for Geographic Analysis, Harvard University

Harvard Geographic Society - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Considering America's lack of geographic literacy, only having a geography department restored a few years ago doesn't help either. Lack of geographic literacy has nothing to do with Harvard's liberal slant. UC-Berkeley is very liberal and has a geography program.

Geography at Berkeley

Harvard students not being knowledgeable in geography has alot to do with Harvard not having a geography program since 1948. It has a geographic research center now, but the university doesn't have a geography major as far as I know.

As far as I know, most people who go to Harvard aren't interested in Geography, and those that are interested aren't going to Harvard. Politics has nothing to do with it, so keep politics out of this.

Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
Really? Show me his college records and prove it.
I would ask you to do the same, since you think he went to college on Affirmative Action. Based on that notion you would expect someone that got into Harvard with AA would finish school in the bottom rung if they even finished at all. Since, you know, they aren't "qualified" to attend. Who would expect someone that graduated from Harvard Law magna c*m laude to be a beneficiary of AA? But as usual your bias is showing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies