Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-21-2013, 02:27 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,826,104 times

Advertisements

Eh....I don't know the capital of Canada off hand. I don't think the majority of people would know, most would guess Toronto. I know it's not Toronto but that would be the obvious guess for most.

I don't think many people consider geography to be all that important in the grand scheme of thing. I was made as a 6th grader to memorize all the states and state capitals and all the countries in the world's and their state capitals. A lot has changed in world geography since the late 1980s and memories fade so I don't remember hardly any of them. Oddly enough, I was also made to memorize all the prepositions and I actually do remember those due to a song made up by our teacher where we sang them all to a melody.

I know our local geography more than most in the area due to me travelling a lot to construction/development sites but that is all I need to know in my day to day life and most people around here don't even know much about the local layout let alone Canada's capital.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:29 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I just asked my extremely Republican father (who has a PhD and 2 Master's degrees) the capital of Canada and he had no idea and told me he didn't care.

What does that say about Republicans?
Are his PHDs and Master's Degrees from Harvard?

Old 11-21-2013, 02:31 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Humans aren't perfect.
Niether is dinner ware. Hurricane Kid is a good cup, but Harrier is a cracked pot.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:47 PM

73,031 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Eh....I don't know the capital of Canada off hand. I don't think the majority of people would know, most would guess Toronto. I know it's not Toronto but that would be the obvious guess for most.

I don't think many people consider geography to be all that important in the grand scheme of thing. I was made as a 6th grader to memorize all the states and state capitals and all the countries in the world's and their state capitals. A lot has changed in world geography since the late 1980s and memories fade so I don't remember hardly any of them. Oddly enough, I was also made to memorize all the prepositions and I actually do remember those due to a song made up by our teacher where we sang them all to a melody.

I know our local geography more than most in the area due to me travelling a lot to construction/development sites but that is all I need to know in my day to day life and most people around here don't even know much about the local layout let alone Canada's capital.
There is this to consider. Canada has petroleum resources, particularly in the province of Alberta. The Detroit-Windsor corridor is a very important commercial link on the USA-Canada border, a center for trade.

It is important to know that geography is more than just state capitals. It's places, people, things, resources, trade, climate, geology, and many other things. It is so broad, and it needs to be stressed more in the schools.

Old 11-21-2013, 02:58 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,529,744 times
I think can probably name the capitals of almost every country in the world--probably would miss a few though in Africa and maybe some of the smaller islands...

Though this fact hasn't helped me one bit in my life in terms of my career or social life or anything... Though it's great to meet someone from Armenia and go, "Ah Armenia, your capital city is Yerevan..." Or to know that Malaysia's capital city is Kuala Lampur yet the seat of the federal government is Putrajaya...

Old 11-21-2013, 03:03 PM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
World Capitals Quiz | JetPunk Quizzes and Trivia

I named 169 capitals in 10 minutes.

Then again, I never went to Harvard.

Old 11-21-2013, 03:05 PM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post

Harvard graduates a lot of liberals.

No wonder a disaster like healthcare.gov was created by them.

It is par for the course.
Okay - I went to both MBA (Kelley/IU) undergrad (Computer science)

and Canada had never came up. I mean. . .maybe in High School

Who cares if someone doesn't know the capital of specific countries?

I certainly didn't waste time on it, couldn't name the Capital of Canada or the Capital of Brazil.

and it hasn't impacted my earning potential at all. . .

Old 11-21-2013, 03:08 PM

2,801 posts, read 2,310,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Neither is dinner ware. Hurricane Kid is a good cup, but Harrier is a cracked pot.
I understand it is "technically" against the rules here but .... Harrier is a TROLL, he says stupid stuff just to get people started, what every one needs to do is literally or figuratively put him on ignore.

From what he has said in other threads I believe he is seriously sexually conflicted and needs to speak to a professional about it so he can come to terms with the true feelings he has been fighting so long.

He wants to marry his cat, and thinks he should be allowed to, but two consenting adults of the same gender is NOT allowed ... He doesn't want any relationship with a human female, Clinicians call that a Tell.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:35 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,184,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
And I'd be thrilled for you ... if you could afford to send your children to Harvard! All the best.
Well I can't afford it, and although they are good students, they aren't that good! So my kids are in both of Texas' flagship universities. We're pleased.

Old 11-22-2013, 11:58 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,550,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Most selective colleges in the US:

1) Harvard

Are you really going to try to convince us that attending Harvard is a bad thing? If you're going to be this silly and petty, what does it say about you that you can't spell "student"?
The lunatic fringe always disparages education and science.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies