Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 01:09 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
I beg to differ, Natalie. Every year that my youngest has been in school so far, up to and including sixth grade, has included map reading. If it was available, I'd photograph and post the hand-drawn, geo-political map of Canada my son completed this week for Social Studies. If I remember correctly from my older children's middle school years, next year they will continue world geography with a focus on Asia, Africa, and South America.
Thank goodness!

Old 11-24-2013, 01:11 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Thank goodness!
I'm glad you approve. BTW, around here we all know the capital of Canada, along with its territories and provinces and their corresponding capitals.

Quote:
Also, I'm pretty sure that using a compass was covered in either fourth or fifth grade science.
Update: My son just informed me that his physical education class practiced using coordinates by navigating an outdoor compass course. Furthermore, math classes at all levels have included units that require map reading skills. Maps are even covered in language arts classes. In fourth grade, I vividly recall my son and his peers creating a map of the travels described in a novel called Walk Two Moons, in which the main character traverses the northern United States from the Midwest to the Pacific Northwest in search of her mother.

Who are these public school children who do not study geography? At this point I'm struggling to come up with a class in which it has NOT been covered in some way or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
37% of Americans Can’t Find America on a Map!”
“Stuart Weiss, senior sociology professor at Boston College, said although these findings may be surprising to some, they’re by no means atypical. “The sentiment of many Americans is that there’s little intrinsic value in studying a map of a place you’re already at,” noted Weiss. “It’d be like driving to Graceland and then asking for directions once you’ve arrived. Not much point.”

Shirley Matheson, a part-time Arby’s employee residing in Dayton, Ohio, agreed with Weiss’s assessment. “I live in the U.S.A., so why would I need to know where America is? Or the United States for that matter?” Added Matheson: “As long as there’s still room on that map for all three of those countries, I’m sure everyone will keep getting along just fine.”
37% of Americans Can't Find America on a Map! | Alternative
Shirley is either an idiot or someone who slept her way through school. Shockingly, given I grew up and attended public school in Dayton, Ohio, I can place the United States of America on a world map, along with many other feats of geographic knowledge, including naming the capital of Canada and using a compass to navigate my surroundings effectively. But perhaps all is not lost; at least Shirley appears to know the difference between "America" and the U.S.A. It's a start.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-24-2013 at 02:37 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 03:33 PM

Quote:
37% of Americans Can’t Find America on a Map!”
“Stuart Weiss, senior sociology professor at Boston College, said although these findings may be surprising to some, they’re by no means atypical. “The sentiment of many Americans is that there’s little intrinsic value in studying a map of a place you’re already at,” noted Weiss. “It’d be like driving to Graceland and then asking for directions once you’ve arrived. Not much point.”

Shirley Matheson, a part-time Arby’s employee residing in Dayton, Ohio, agreed with Weiss’s assessment. “I live in the U.S.A., so why would I need to know where America is? Or the United States for that matter?” Added Matheson: “As long as there’s still room on that map for all three of those countries, I’m sure everyone will keep getting along just fine.”
37% of Americans Can't Find America on a Map! | Alternative
I'm embarrassed to admit that I took this article at face value and responded as such; however, I was so bothered by it that I did a little research, revealing the article as satire by comedy writer Steve Sahari first published by Huffington Post on December 15, 2008. That's right, folks, there is no Shirley Matheson. The article is nonsense, but to our shame has been portrayed and accepted as truth all over the web.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-24-2013 at 03:50 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 03:49 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times
Shirley is either an idiot or someone who slept her way through school. Shockingly, given I grew up and attended public school in Dayton, Ohio, I can place the United States of America on a world map, along with many other feats of geographic knowledge, including naming the capital of Canada and using a compass to navigate my surroundings effectively. But perhaps all is not lost; at least Shirley appears to know the difference between "America" and the U.S.A. It's a start.[/quote]

You do realize that not all public schools (if this is where you and your son went to) do not teach geography and if your school does is there something that they are not teaching as well. There is not one high school in Pittsburgh which is a much bigger city that teaches geography and I can imagine that there are more inner city schools that don't as well. Just consider you and your son fortunate to have such a good education.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:51 PM

Quote:
MSNBC did too - and you liberals think that they are a legitimate news source.

Anyways, just watch. The liberals have had their false rumor entirely eviscerated, but they will sulk off and begin repeating the story tomorrow.

Liberals never let inconvenient facts get in the way of a good lie.

...And many fox followers are willing to accept their lies over any truth.

Old 11-24-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
So why are you blaming NBC? FOX News said some pretty vicious things about her lack of intelligence in that clip, including the Africa thingie.
And righties think FOX is a legitimate news source.

Even when they went to court giving them permission to lie to the public

Fox News gets okay to misinform public, court ruling | Media ...

This bit of information does not hamper their ability to think on their own

Old 11-24-2013, 03:56 PM

Quote:
It was when Harrier was in elementary school.

Liberals really have managed to dumb down public education in a short period of time.
Really? What party or group of people are systematically cutting funding to the schools, here in Pa it is our beloved governor Corbett (R)

Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ, Natalie. Every year that my youngest has been in school so far, up to and including sixth grade, has included map reading. If it was available, I'd photograph and post the hand-drawn, geo-political map of Canada my son completed this week for Social Studies. If I remember correctly from my older children's middle school years, next year they will continue world geography with a focus on Asia, Africa, and South America. Also, I'm pretty sure that using a compass was covered in either fourth or fifth grade science.

I meant to ask you is this a public school or a charter school?

Old 11-24-2013, 03:58 PM

Simetime, the article is satire as I revealed above, and I would like to know what you assume my children's education is missing while their teachers weave a little geography into the curriculum. Is it really that overwhelming to point out the location of Milford, Connecticut, the setting of The Minister's Black Veil, before students dive into the Hawthorne short story? That's what my daughter did Friday in her freshman language arts class.

Last edited by randomparent; 11-24-2013 at 04:39 PM..

Old 11-24-2013, 03:59 PM

6,331 posts, read 5,211,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What's a stident? Knowing what that is will help us understand why they don't know what the Capitol of Canada is.
what's worse, not being able to name the capital of Canada or not being able to spell student??????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies