Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2013, 08:34 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,324,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
But do the majority of our nation's children attend urban schools? Certainly I can't speak for every major metropolitan region, but I can relay that total enrollment for my city's district is ~81k. The combined enrollment for the largest four suburban districts surrounding the city is ~250k. My kids' district alone accounts for ~50k of those students. The vast majority of kids in my metropolitan region attend suburban schools.

Agreed, but I still think it's valuable knowledge. I'm just not willing to write someone off as an idiot because he doesn't have Ottawa on the tip of his tongue, and I bet every single one of those young people in the OP's video link grabbed a smartphone and began Googling as soon as the camera was off. I know I certainly would have had I been caught out!

This is a troll post from the begining. You made a valuable point, if you don't know an irrevalent question you should be smart enough to find out, which like you said they proably looked it up afterwords

Old 11-24-2013, 08:50 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
This is a troll post from the begining. You made a valuable point, if you don't know an irrevalent question you should be smart enough to find out, which like you said they proably looked it up afterwords
Exactly. I learn things all the time simply because it bothered me that I didn't know the answer when the question was raised. My day isn't complete without a handful of TIL's (Today I learned...).

Old 11-24-2013, 09:30 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Betting you didn't know the capital of Canada until that story came out.
You have lost that bet.

Harrier bets the same amount that you will never contact Harrier to pay him.

Now you owe double money.k

Old 11-24-2013, 09:39 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,907 times
Harvard was the first university to abolish its Geography program, and many universities followed suit. It took a long time for schools to start bringing back geography.

But I have a geography degree and I couldn't think of what the capital was off the top of my head. Does that actually matter? It's just trivia, and I'd bet 95% of Americans don't know.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:49 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,193,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Harvard was the first university to abolish its Geography program, and many universities followed suit. It took a long time for schools to start bringing back geography.

But I have a geography degree and I couldn't think of what the capital was off the top of my head. Does that actually matter? It's just trivia, and I'd bet 95% of Americans don't know.
Heck, I would bet that 98% of Americans couldn't name all 50 capitols in this country and I will admit I am one of those people. I can name all 50 states and many of their capitols, but I could not do all 50 capitols.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:52 PM

764 posts, read 597,443 times
Need some help reaching those straws? I thought Canada didn't matter.

Oh, and there's nothing liberal about the health care bill. Not even close. Nor is it a Government takeover. The same scumbag insurance companies that have been screwing over people for years are still running their own businesses. This isn't up for debate. It's NOT a takeover...

Old 11-24-2013, 11:34 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Heck, I would bet that 98% of Americans couldn't name all 50 capitols in this country and I will admit I am one of those people. I can name all 50 states and many of their capitols, but I could not do all 50 capitols.
Harrier can.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:48 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post

I mentioned far back in the earlier parts of this thread that Harvard doesn't have a geography program. I'm surprised someone else has thought of this. For some reason, that is one thing NO ONE has considered about Harvard.

BTW, I also have a degree in Geography. I know the capitals, however geography is so much more than that. And that is one thing I'm trying to tell people. So far, the concentration seems to be on political semantics.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 AM

1,509 posts, read 2,429,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I mentioned far back in the earlier parts of this thread that Harvard doesn't have a geography program. I'm surprised someone else has thought of this. For some reason, that is one thing NO ONE has considered about Harvard.

BTW, I also have a degree in Geography. I know the capitals, however geography is so much more than that. And that is one thing I'm trying to tell people. So far, the concentration seems to be on political semantics.
I think this is also something people misunderstand. I took an Intro to Geography class my freshman year at college - it wasn't a requirement, aside from fulfilling my general education requirement, and unless one was a Geography major it's unlikely they would go beyond this course. Countries/capitals wasn't a feature of the course. It was much more of a broad survey to the study/profession of geography, mapmaking, various projections, GIS, cultural/environmental geography, discussion of the different fields of geography, etc. When I was the TA for an Intro to Political Science course, we did do map tests, but they were a fairly small portion of the grade and they were countries only.

Old 11-25-2013, 07:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,376,228 times
I would be interested in learning more about your degree, green mariner, because I must confess that I can't imagine what a post-secondary degree program in Geography would look like. What were the major components of your program, and what career field did you pursue after graduation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies