Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2013, 05:33 PM

47,036 posts, read 26,117,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
thee is a similar quote concerning a gernman general as to why the Swiss were left alone.
If by "similar", you mean apocryphal and impossible to trace, yes.

The Swiss heartland would have fallen in case of a serious Axis attack, and no one, including the Swiss general staf, thought otherwise. Their plan was to abandon the lowland (where the cities and people and industry is) and dig in deep in the Alps and just make it too damn costly to unseat them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2013, 05:35 PM

2,672 posts, read 2,723,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
Question is, what country has the desire to invade the US nowadays and how would that be a gain to them?
They would have a lifetime supply of mobility scooters and oxygen tanks...

Old 12-01-2013, 05:47 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,404,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Oh, for Cripes' sake. I will state the obvious: Hawaii wasn't invaded. It was subject to a combined air and submarine attack, and civilians with firearms made f.ck-all of a difference there.
Lol, thanks I needed that!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,940,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
If by "similar", you mean apocryphal and impossible to trace, yes.

The Swiss heartland would have fallen in case of a serious Axis attack, and no one, including the Swiss general staf, thought otherwise. Their plan was to abandon the lowland (where the cities and people and industry is) and dig in deep in the Alps and just make it too damn costly to unseat them.
Like England? The Brits said they'd NEVER surrender. All that came back and bit the Nazis in the butt.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:12 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,858,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
So how did that quote come to be?
I'm guessing someone made it up so it sounded cool. It's easy enough to believe.
But to think that armed civilians can fight against a modern army and win is just silly.
The US army can kill you from 20 miles away with a Howitzer.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:16 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,751,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I'm guessing someone made it up so it sounded cool. It's easy enough to believe.
But to think that armed civilians can fight against a modern army and win is just silly.
The US army can kill you from 20 miles away with a Howitzer.
How any examples form history do you really want

Old 12-01-2013, 07:56 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,940,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
How any examples form history do you really want
Vietnam's 1 example tho IF the US government REALLY wanted to win, it'd be a different end.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:01 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,686,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Vietnam's 1 example.
The logistics of fighting a war on the other side of the Pacific was a deal breaker for us. The world's most powerful army by a factor of 10 is right here, on site and this country is their AO. They are expert at destroying things and killing great numbers of people, efficiently. I wouldn't mess with them.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:42 PM

50,509 posts, read 47,285,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Interesting, head out for an area they can live off the land. Just where might that be? Some place Jeb and Jethro are waiting for ya, just to help out?

Maybe the national forests where the Columbians have set up areas the police and federal law enforcement are afraid to go? (look up the direct quotes yourself from Attorneys General).

Those places no longer exist. None of them would join any military that remains either. Those Red Dawn movies are believed by way too many people.
Ya, farmers and ranchers would just give up, just like in your beloved movie. I've got 2000 acres in Colorado in the middle of nowhere and I'm pretty sure I'd be off any radar for a while.All I gotta do is get there. Grain bins with wheat, well water and decent cover. Do I think it can happen, nope. Am I sure it can't happen, nope.

Every Country has had an underground during war.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:59 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,497,540 times
This is why we haven't had an alien invasion. The space aliens are afraid of our guns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies