Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-06-2013, 01:54 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry CHRISTmas View Post
Then why do businesses decorate for Christmas and ask for Christians money??
How many people will die and have heart attack if they were greeted with "Merry Xmas" on Christmas Eve?

America is predominately Christian, so why would non-Christians be offended or surprised?
If I go to Israel during their holiday, I would expect being greeted with Jewish holidays, and in India for Diwali, and in Iran for Ramadan.

They don't ask for anyone's money. They sell goods. Christians decide to buy those goods. BTW, Christmas is celebrated by non-Christians too.

Also, Hanukkah, Diwali and Ramadan are celebrated in America by Americans too.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:55 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That's not what she said, that's your distortion of her words.

What this person is referring to is the slow but steady, deliberate effort to make Christmas as generic as possible, replacing merry christmas with more secular phrases like Season's Greetings.

For someone that might be in their mid 20's to 30's, they might not even notice the changes, because it's occurred slowly over time, as the public have been conditioned to behave in more "diversity conscious" ways to replace whatever is characterised as too relgious, in favor of other terms and behaviors.

But not all the efforts are so subtle ... I don't think there is anything subtle about the Fredom From Religion Foundation, and efforts by other groups who overtly advocate a total ban of any type of religious message or symbolism in public.
Dude, it became generic when the stores decided October was a grand time to start advertising for Christmas, cities started putting Christmas decorations up in October & Christmas music started playing 24/7 on some radio stations November 1st.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:58 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Dude, it became generic when the stores decided October was a grand time to start advertising for Christmas, cities started putting Christmas decorations up in October & Christmas music started playing 24/7 on some radio stations November 1st.
Yep, and the more holidays that Christmas consumes, the more reason to say happy holidays.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:58 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:

What this person is referring to is the slow but steady, deliberate effort to make Christmas as generic as possible, replacing merry christmas with more secular phrases like Season's Greetings.

For someone that might be in their mid 20's to 30's, they might not even notice the changes, because it's occurred slowly over time, as the public have been conditioned to behave in more "diversity conscious" ways to replace whatever is characterised as too relgious, in favor of other terms and behaviors.
While I don't rely on Wikipedia for 100 accuracy, I don't have enough interest in this topic to do more searching. You claim that secular phrases like "Season's Greetings" are fairly new. People who are in their mid 20's to 30's might not notice the changes.

In other words, as I was pointing out before, the phrases are nothing new.... the faux outrage is.

For other meanings of "Season's Greetings", see Season's Greetings (disambiguation).
"Season's Greetings" is a greeting more commonly used as a motto on winter season greeting cards, and in commercial advertisements, than as a spoken phrase. In addition to "Merry Christmas", Victorian Christmas cards bore a variety of salutations, including "Compliments of the Season" and "Christmas Greetings." By the late 19th century, "With the Season's Greetings" or simply "The Season's Greetings" began appearing. By the 1920s it had been shortened to "Season's Greetings,"[SIZE=2][56][/SIZE] and has been a greeting card fixture ever since. Several White House Christmas cards, including U.S. President Dwight D. Eisenhower's 1955 card, have featured the phrase.[SIZE=2][57][/SIZE]"

Christmas and holiday season - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In other words, as I was pointing out before, the phrases are nothing new.... the faux outrage is.

Old 12-06-2013, 01:59 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Why does it appear that I'm having a 6 way conversation with residents of a mental institution that just received their powerful daily meds?
You may want to consider the one constant in the equation.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
By a tiny minority....
Who cares? People and business are allowed to say Happy holidays, Seasons Greetings, merry Christmas, or anything else they decide to say.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:02 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
GuyNTexas,

It's clear that there is a war on Christmas. Even if the *******s don't want to admit it.

Obviously the thing has been going on for decades.

What do you think would end this war?

Is it as simple as always saying Merry Christmas? And if that's the case, who should take control of the corporations and enforce those rules?

As of right now, only 90 some percent of Americans apparently celebrate it, and of those 90 some percent I'm going to guess only about 2% even believe there is a war so we clearly have a lot of fighting ahead of us. How do we win this war?
Guns. Lots and lots of guns.
That should do the trick

Old 12-06-2013, 02:03 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
If the "silent majority" of Christians doesn't disavow the loudmouth minority, then that loudmouth minority becomes your public persona.
The only problem is I learned a long time ago to not sweat the way people view you. If you concern yourself with it too much you'll waste a lot of time and energy. I'll throw out the occasional "ahem" statement, especially on here where many people who throw their religion around seem to forget what the base of the faith truly is, but anyone who judges an entire group of people based on the ramblings of a few people on the internet or in the media say has already made up their mind and their probably not going to change it, regardless.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:05 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
If the "silent majority" of Christians doesn't disavow the loudmouth minority, then that loudmouth minority becomes your public persona.

GMAB It is only those who lack the intelligence to understand differences in human beings who believe all people of a particular group are the same.

Old 12-06-2013, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Because 96% of Americans celebrate it + it is a national holiday.
You might want to read the first amendment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies