Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 11:53 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
I really don't see how it can't be done. You have touch screens up front and you punch in your order. I mean you will have to have one person standing there to help out if need be but most folks in today's world are used to dealing with technology. How hard is it to hit a button for the number one combo? It prints out in the kitchen and walla. These greedy folks are geeding themselves out of jobs. You can design the software to make it easy for stupid people. So one guy stands there and makes fifteen bucks an hour and three folks lose their job. That is where it's all going.
Maybe that is where it's going. Like i said earlier, banks have largely automated, but they still have lots of jobs available in my area.

It might go the way you say, or the way I say. But the truth is that it's likely to fall somewhere in between our positions.

Still though, McDonald's was ALWAYS gonna automate anyway regardless of labor trouble. So I'm not blaming the laborers for asking for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2013, 11:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Happy Tex...you and I aren't having the same discussion.

I'm only addressing THE RIGHT to ask for more. That's it...period, point blank.

What right do I have (or you have) to tell them that they can't ask for more? I don't care if the demand is unrealistic ...I don't have a copy of the balance sheets anyway. I don't know what McDonald's can or can't afford to pay. And I'd venture to guess that you don't know either. To say that they can't afford it is pure conjecture on your part (if you're making that assertion...and I don't know if you are).

I don't want the government to force anyone to do anything. I see no need for the government to even get involved. But please, don't say that Americans can't look into McDonald's business practices abroad and not demand the same for themselves.

Are Aussies or Europeans better than Americans?
Fair enough. And no one denied their "right".
I have not read of mass firing of those workers that didn't work for that one day.

Well for across the board raises that is either union or government mandated.
Personally I think how much you make and how often you get raises should be done individually.
Slackers don't deserve the same raise as individuals that go above and beyond their job duties.
But only the immediate manager knows who works and who doesn't and who just does the bare minimum.

There's more to living than just salaries.
Australia has a high COL.
The high salaries have resulted in high costs.
$90 USD for a pair of Levis ?
They're $40 here.
And before you say "import/export" Levis are not made in the US except for the more expensive high end styles.

Last edited by HappyTexan; 12-08-2013 at 12:08 PM..

Old 12-08-2013, 11:57 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,350,826 times
I wish they'd invent a "touch screen" method for maintaining the shake machine so you can get a shake there once in a while...

It's a crap shoot at our local McDonalds whether you can order a shake or not. Their shake machine is frequently out of order. I heard it's because they don''t clean it that often.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:00 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,008,695 times
But, but, I always ask to have my Oreo McFlurries put in a bag. What robot will accommodate my special request at the drive through window? Will the greenies make me buy special sustainable Oreo McFlurry bags that I bring from home?

Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I hope they hire somebody to clean them regularly.

The last thing I want to do before I grab my burger and fries and eat them is rub my hands all over a communal screen.
That's why I say that automation has only so much potential here for a million reasons.

Americans want real live humans to do certain things. And even the most automated stores will still need bodies to fill orders, cook the food, run the drive thru, correct bad orders, clean the store and lot, etc...there will still be plenty of jobs available.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:02 PM

50,286 posts, read 47,032,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm not so sure how tablets and this kind of automation will work. A few years back when my local Home Depot went to automated checkout, the thing took my money and ran. No change, no nothing. They had to call a live body over to fix it. I never went back and never will. I went to Lowes, which had live people manning the checkouts.

Same with grocery stores which have automated checkout. I never use those lanes and rarely see people using them. The lines with full carts are still at the checkouts that have flesh and blood cashiers.

In time it could work, but in my neck of the woods, people still seem to prefer dealing with people.
I RARELY use anything but self checkout. It appears home dump now has more people on the floor to help find things. Love that place.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:04 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Maybe that is where it's going. Like i said earlier, banks have largely automated, but they still have lots of jobs available in my area.

It might go the way you say, or the way I say. But the truth is that it's likely to fall somewhere in between our positions.

Still though, McDonald's was ALWAYS gonna automate anyway regardless of labor trouble. So I'm not blaming the laborers for asking for more.
Yes banks are a good example. It's so much easier to just hit an ATM than go in or even the drive through. Fast food already "automated" a bit when they hand you a cup and you go get your own drink and the like. That eliminated a few positions. Next up if they do the automated registers that will eliminate a few more. I don't like the deals at grocery stores or walmart or what have you that you swipe your own stuff but it appears that is where we are headed. Folks need to take advantage of what is offered and go improve their skill set or they will be left out in the cold is all I'm saying. You either get into the tech field or you are gonna be left out.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Fair enough. And no one denied their "right".
I have not read of mass firing of those workers that didn't work for that one day.

Well for across the board raises that is either union or government mandated.
Personally I think how much you make and how often you get raises should be done individually.
Slackers don't deserve the same raise as individuals that go above and beyond their job duties.
But only the immediate manager knows who works and who doesn't and who just does the bare minimum.
Well, across the board pay raises would be dumb IMO. The pay raises could be incentive and longevity based. That kinda stuff can be worked out in a good CBA. And McDonald's could do themselves a favor by getting out ahead of it now. Not to mention the good P.R. from undertaking an agreement like that.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Yes banks are a good example. It's so much easier to just hit an ATM than go in or even the drive through. Fast food already "automated" a bit when they hand you a cup and you go get your own drink and the like. That eliminated a few positions. Next up if they do the automated registers that will eliminate a few more. I don't like the deals at grocery stores or walmart or what have you that you swipe your own stuff but it appears that is where we are headed. Folks need to take advantage of what is offered and go improve their skill set or they will be left out in the cold is all I'm saying. You either get into the tech field or you are gonna be left out.
Brother, everyone can't go into the tech field. I know I couldn't. It's not for everybody.

We still need millions of regular old laborers. Our economy depends on it.

Don't forget, McDonald's does pay the much higher wage and benefits abroad.

Old 12-08-2013, 12:13 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I wish they'd invent a "touch screen" method for maintaining the shake machine so you can get a shake there once in a while...

It's a crap shoot at our local McDonalds whether you can order a shake or not. Their shake machine is frequently out of order. I heard it's because they don''t clean it that often.
My first job was McDonalds
They taught us how to make shakes.
Now that machine spits it out already made.
We made them as they were ordered on an individual basis.

I can still make a mean shake today thanks to McDonalds

I used to make chocolate egg creams for myself with the ingredients..milk, syrup and seltzer water..New York style !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies