Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 08:15 AM

34,279 posts, read 19,380,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I'm surprised they didn't pull his passport. Very strange that the father didn't know they left and was cooperating and wondering why they left since I believe the video came to light after they went missing. Now the mother has some problems also, you would think that the boy would be glad to get off with that last sentence. He should have been in rehab.
Actually....as part of your probation you have to have permission to leave the country, BUT your passport isnt pulled, as your probation officer CAN give you permission.

He went to rehab. Didnt seem to help.

Reality though? Going to a party would have gotten him at most 30 days in jail. This? Fleeing to another country? This ones going to hurt. Because my understanding is that the family isn't quite as rich as it used to be. He might face something closer to the justice the rest of us receive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 08:21 AM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I'm surprised they didn't pull his passport. Very strange that the father didn't know they left and was cooperating and wondering why they left since I believe the video came to light after they went missing. Now the mother has some problems also, you would think that the boy would be glad to get off with that last sentence. He should have been in rehab.
The article noted that Mexican authorities were unsure if the mother and son were in the country legally; or, without a passport. I suspect that 'mules', or whatever they are called, can smuggle people into Mexico, as easily as out.

I saw an interview with a bounty officer last week, who said that they would be easy to catch. For one, he said that the boy probably would not resist using his cell phone (which was apparently true). Second, he said that sooner or later they would run out of money and have to use credit cards or such.

I predict: he will now go to prison. Be released after a number of years. Get drunk or such, go back to prison, repeat.

I hope that while in prison he may get treatment to control his self-destructive urges, but, sadly, by the time a person is 18 (as he is) such behavior and frame of mind is pretty entrenched. People can change, of course, but I doubt it in this case. It is probably hard to discard years of the "I'm special and can do what I want" mentality that this young man had instilled in him by his parents. It would have been nice if, after being granted probation, this young man had issued a statement of remorse and a declaration of taking charge of his life. He did not, however. I imagine that he viewed the death of those four people as simply being inconvenient to his pursuit of happiness and self-indulgence. I would even hazard the guess that their deaths meant as much to him as deaths that occur on his video games.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:03 AM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Rich teen gets probation after DUI crash kills 4 - Sun Sentinel

A judge sentenced a 16-year-old boy who killed four people while driving drunk to 10 years' probation in lieu of jail time, saying the boy suffered from "affluenza" because he grew up so wealthy, according to WFAA.com.

Ethan Crouch and his friends had just stolen beer from a Walmart in Burleson, Texas and were on their way to get more when the crash happened. Crouch's blood alcohol level was at .24 as he drove his white pick up truck at about 70 miles per hour, CBS-DFW reports.

Crouch hit and killed four pedestrians -- a youth pastor, a mother and daughter, and a 24-year-old woman -- and injured nine other people, including two of his friends who were in the truck.
---------------------------

I was in shock when I heard about this verdict!

I wonder what other people think about this ...
Shocked?

Celebrities and politicians get this treatment all the time.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:07 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
Rich teen gets probation after DUI crash kills 4 - Sun Sentinel

A judge sentenced a 16-year-old boy who killed four people while driving drunk to 10 years' probation in lieu of jail time, saying the boy suffered from "affluenza" because he grew up so wealthy, according to WFAA.com.

Ethan Crouch and his friends had just stolen beer from a Walmart in Burleson, Texas and were on their way to get more when the crash happened. Crouch's blood alcohol level was at .24 as he drove his white pick up truck at about 70 miles per hour, CBS-DFW reports.

Crouch hit and killed four pedestrians -- a youth pastor, a mother and daughter, and a 24-year-old woman -- and injured nine other people, including two of his friends who were in the truck.
---------------------------

I was in shock when I heard about this verdict!

I wonder what other people think about this ...
"Justice" has always been for sale. Not just in this country- but in all of them as far as I can tell.

I dunno why this would surprise anybody.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
What the hell does anyone expect in this Mammon worshipping society? Wealth buys privilege after it has bought everything else.

A poor White, Black or Hispanic kid that stupid would have probably been lynched for that stunt.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:23 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,770,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
What the hell does anyone expect in this Mammon worshipping society? Wealth buys privilege after it has bought everything else.

A poor White, Black or Hispanic kid that stupid would have probably been lynched for that stunt.
That's all true. But can you name a country where this wouldn't be the case? I can't.

I think it's just human nature. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:28 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
4 laws

for the wealthy.

for the politicians

for the middle class

for the poor

Old 12-29-2015, 09:30 AM

39,230 posts, read 27,618,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I agree with this judge. This kid will most likely be a "job creator" when he gets older, so we can't mistreat him! I bet the judge and his father are golfing buddies or something
he most likely will be a real loser when he gets older.

disgusting loser who has blood on his hands.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:58 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,080,699 times
A nice lengthy prison stay should cure this poor boy of the terrible affliction of "affluenza." His mother is similarly afflicted and needs the same "cure."

Last edited by JAMS14; 12-29-2015 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 09:59 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times
If this kid is a drunk at 16 he most likely will be a druggie at 18 and remove himself, to the betterment of all, from the gene pool by age 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies