Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 09:24 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
It is interesting that the very people who support the business model that leans on cheap foreign labor to increase the company coffers at American expense, want to destroy the country that supplies the cheap foreign labor. Can't have it both ways.
Are you suggesting that I "support the business model that leans on cheap foreign labor...?" If so, you are egregiously wrong in your assertion. Which means your point is moot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2013, 09:35 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,977 times
Never would have tried this with Bush in office!

Obama is a weak leader.........an empty suit!

Old 12-13-2013, 09:36 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
This particular incident, no, does not warrant a war. But that's not the point. The point is that China apparently feels that it has enough resolve and capability to directly challenge the United States without any sort of retribution. Are we now a paper tiger because of our national debt?
What do you think will happen if you sink a Chinese ship and kill a few hundred to maybe thousands of their people on it?

Oh, and are you also one of those conservatives who now bashes Obama as a war monger? And now you're advocating his administration start more?

Old 12-13-2013, 09:41 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,117,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
What do you think will happen if you sink a Chinese ship and kill a few hundred to maybe thousands of their people on it?

Oh, and are you also one of those conservatives who now bashes Obama as a war monger? And now you're advocating his administration start more?
I have made clear that I am not advocating war with China. But I have also made clear here, and elsewhere, that the United States (no matter who is President) should stop the appeasement attitude and start taking actions to neutralize the Chinese threat, including a prohibition on the purchase of US companies and US land, as well as reassert our dominance in Asia and Africa. At this very moment, China is defeating the United States in ways that we MUST act to defend against. Do you think China works hard to stay out of international news by happenstance? No, they do it because quietly they are working to topple the United States economically. We are reaping what we sow by ignoring the Chinese threat, and it will not go away unless we take a bold approach to protect our interests.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes, as history has shown empires can and do fall. We are spreading ourselves dangerously thin. Personally I think our falling will be on our own doing, and from within. But having said that, if we do not learn from history, we will continue to repeat it.
Agree completely.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:50 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,446,358 times
Quote:
I have made clear that I am not advocating war with China. But I have also made clear here, and elsewhere, that the United States (no matter who is President) should stop the appeasement attitude and start taking actions to neutralize the Chinese threat, including a prohibition on the purchase of US companies and US land, as well as reassert our dominance in Asia and Africa. At this very moment, China is defeating the United States in ways that we MUST act to defend against. Do you think China works hard to stay out of international news by happenstance? No, they do it because quietly they are working to topple the United States economically. We are reaping what we sow by ignoring the Chinese threat, and it will not go away unless we take a bold approach to protect our interests.
The USA has already toppled itself economically a long time ago when generations of useless Republicans and Democrats looked the other way while corporate interests conducted the wholesale exportation of jobs to - surprise - China. Who do you think designed this system where Americans with former good jobs go into debt buying cheap crap manufacturer by the Chinese? Those same "1%" who rule this nation and have gotten very rich by this economic hollowing out.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:52 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,481,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emcee squared View Post
Agreed. Our countries are definitely dependent on each other. I just wanted to dispel the myth that China is an extremely large holder of government debt. If they held more than half of our debt, then I'd be concerned.
Agree with this also.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:54 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,983,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Agree completely.

Unfortunately, and please don't take this as a diss to your country, but if we were to collapse it wouldn't bode well for Canada either. At any rate, I would hope that the light would go on with people in this country, and stop voting for the status quo candidates on both sides of the aisle.

Old 12-13-2013, 09:59 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,080 times
Quote:

I actually tend to agree with you. I was against opening trade with China back in the late 1970s and early 1980s (the promise was that we would be selling our goods to China; of course, when Coca Cola announced that it was opening a bottling plant in China, that promise went south very quickly).

One problem we face is that times have changed from the Coca Cola days. China remains the main supplier of 'rare earth minerals', which we need for many of our products (cell phones, for instance). I have no idea what to do.

On the one hand, we now find ourselves in the deplorable position of needing these rare earth minerals from China, with disruption of supply potentially causing huge problems for us. On the other hand, China obviously recognizes that we are beholden to them in several areas (rare earth minerals, and even financing our debt), hence flexing their muscles.

Here is an article that speaks to the rare earth mineral problem:

Rare earths: West bids to challenge China's monopoly, but is it too late? - Telegraph

China Seeking to Trim Exports of Rare-Earth Minerals - WSJ.com

At least the first article notes that we (USA) are trying to find and produce our own rare earth minerals.

Old 12-13-2013, 10:00 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Chinese Naval Vessel Tries to Force U.S. Warship to Stop in International Waters | Washington Free Beacon

This is very serious and should have been the major news story of the day and week. While operating in recognized International waters, the Chinese Navy attempted to stop a US Navy war ship, even going so far as to try to block it's path causing the ship to quickly evade the ship instead of stopping or colliding with the Chinese ship blocking it's path.

The Bay of Tonken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies