Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-25-2013, 11:09 AM

37,184 posts, read 41,398,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Statistics support hypotheses.

Hypotheses are failable theses.
You fail to understand the scientific method, too. Evidence supports hypotheses.

Statistics help you understand the significance of the evidence.

Here is the explanation of the scientific method, simplified for children.

Steps of the Scientific Method

Old 12-25-2013, 12:09 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,760,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What you said is that deaths of infants, the elderly, and those who are already ill are insignificant. If that is not what you intended to say, perhaps you woul like to clarify your position.

CDC - CDC Reports About 90 Percent of Children Who Died From Flu This Season Not Vaccinated | News and Spotlights | Influenza (Flu)

About 105 children died from flu related illnesses last year. About 90% had not had the vaccine. Sixty percent of those who died had underlying health problems, but 40% were otherwise healthy. But according to you, those 105 deaths are not worth considering. I suspect their parents feel differently.

In children, flu vaccine is 77 to 90% effective. That means if those kids had been vaccinated, perhaps 77 to 90 of them would still be alive.

CDC - Flu Vaccine Effectiveness: Questions and Answers for Health Professionals | Health Professionals | Seasonal Influenza (Flu)

No, they understand quite well. You fail to understand basic statistics. Try the Khan course.

The fact that you mention it at all means your sources of information are suspect. You are concerned about "substances" in vaccines for which there is no proven harm and trivialize the very real risks of the diseases prevented by vaccines.

To quote a poster in another forum, denying your children vaccines is akin to hiding them in a swamp full of alligators to save them from attacking ninjas.

Have you finished the statistics course yet? Let us know when you have.

I mentioned whooping cough just as a reminder that infectious diseases kill babies. Anti-vaxers tend to push that fact under the rug.

Pharma makes vaccines because they work. They are content with the profit from them. Of course, that flies in the face of your argument that money is everything, does it not?
- No, you're lying & it's a clear sign that you're losing this argument. I never once said "the deaths of infants, the elderly and the ill are insignificant", you said that, not me. Let's review....Your exact quote: "The problem with catching the flu is that a significant number of people end up dead from it.". Anyone reading your post understood the context, which was to exaggerate the probability of dying from the flu & the scare people into believing a high # or % of people with the flu end up dying, which they don't. It seems you're now trying to say that if even one person in the country dies from the flu that it is a "significant number", which was not your point at all until you started losing this debate. Perhaps it's you who should clarify your statement.

- ABOUT 105 children died from the flu last year? We can't even debate on an ACTUAL number? Your argument is all just hypothetical?

- ABOUT 90% had not been vaccinated? You can't even tell me how many were or were not vaccinated? Your argument is all sizzle, no steak.

- You accuse me of calling infant deaths insignificant and then selectively proceed to list the alleged figures for child vaccination rates, rather than the lower infant vaccination rates. This type of selective science & massaging of numbers is why people like me are so skeptical in the first place. People with a good case don't have to massage the numbers, lie or twist people's words. The facts are self evident, which in the case of the flu vaccine, they're not.

- So let's use the 66% figure (their figure, which we've already established is just a guess) for argument's sake. That's 66% of only 3 flu strains that they guessed last year, would appear this year. There are dozens of flu strains that strike people every year, with new ones morphing every winter. So that 66% effectiveness over 30 strains is actually pretty weak sauce, even if you believe their estimated numbers.

- You mentioned whooping cough as a distraction and to be dramatic, because you couldn't make your point with just the flu.

- You stated that Big Pharma ensures they'll make a nice profit off these vaccines or else they won't produce them and I full wholeheartedly agree! Only a fool would think these corporations are benevolent and care about your health. They care about maximizing profits, period. You said they'd make less money by forcing everyone in the country to take the shot & that's crazy talk. By your own definition they will not do something that will be a net loss for them, so how can you try to convince me that they're taking a loss on mandatory vaccinations?

- Big Pharma is content with the profit from flu vaccinations? Of course you can't possibly know this, just more unfounded nonsense for m you. But, just for fun put your thinking cap on for a minute... You really believe that any mega-corporation is content with profits? You really believe that? Is Walmart content with profits? Is ExxonMobil content with profits? Don't tell their shareholders they're content with their profits or their stock price will crash in a hurry. No they're absolutely not content with their profits which is why they spend more money lobbying than on R/D. If they can pay our politicians to mandate/force us to get injected than they can make, much, much, more money.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:33 PM

15,141 posts, read 8,673,964 times
Quote:
If there were no vaccines, big pharma would be even bigger. It would be much more profitable to treat sick people than it is to prevent them from getting sick in the first place. You can pay for a lot of vaccine for what a single day in an ICU would cost.

The nurses who post here will tell you they have never seen a death from a vaccine. Some have seen babies die from whooping cough, though.
You never disappoint .... you can be counted on no matter what, to promote absurdity in every conceivable form .... hahaha. And it would be comically entertaining if the matter were not so serious and important.

But really ... you want to float the idea that pharmaceutical corporations would deliberately act to reduce their own profits for the sake of it's aultruistic desires to prevent illness is truly over the top, even for you SuzyQ. That led zepplin won't get off the ground.

This does highlight an important point though .... the true goal of vaccines cannot possibly be attributed to the benevolent desire to promote wellness by a cartel that has too often been caught covering up the dangers posed by their poisons ... those that understand this , more often than not falsely believe that the true motive is purely about profits of these greedy and uncaring corporations, when the reality is far more sinister.

The vaccine program is a key component in the larger goal of eugenics and population control/reduction. Now for most people, this is a very difficult reality to consider, because it is so psychopathic in nature, they cannot conceive of this type of evil existing. Yet this requires a hefty set of blinders since such evil is exposed every day in the daily news.!

The truth can be so disturbing that people actually prefer lies. They refuse to consider the facts or ask themselves simple questions like "who are these scientists and microbiologists who work tirelessly in laboratories cooking up weaponized biological agents whose only purpose is to infect grave harm on people these psychopaths couldn't care less about. Who made the gas to exterminate 6 million jews? It was a german pharmaceutical corporation!!!

I could go on and on about how 200 million people were murdered in the 20th century alone ... by their own loving governments!

Oh yes ... such evil surely does exist, and some of them do wear white coats and have letters of credentials after their names. Once people overcome this aversion to the harsh reality we're dealing with, lots of other things that don't make sense ... such as giving Hep-B vaccine to infants just hours after birth, all of a sudden do make sense, when you understand that the actual goal is not to prevent an infection primarily contracted by intraveneous drug use and sexual activity which infants are unlikely to be engaging in, but is intended to chemically castrate the undeveloped immune systems of these poor defenseless babies.

This is the evil we're dealing with, and it must be dealt with by educating and deprogramming people who have been manipulated into believing that poisoning their own children is a healthy thing to do, when it is nothing short of shear insanity.

Old 12-25-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mason3000 View Post
- No, you're lying & it's a clear sign that you're losing this argument. I never once said "the deaths of infants, the elderly and the ill are insignificant", you said that, not me. Let's review....Your exact quote: "The problem with catching the flu is that a significant number of people end up dead from it.". Anyone reading your post understood the context, which was to exaggerate the probability of dying from the flu & the scare people into believing a high # or % of people with the flu end up dying, which they don't. It seems you're now trying to say that if even one person in the country dies from the flu that it is a "significant number", which was not your point at all until you started losing this debate. Perhaps it's you who should clarify your statement.

- ABOUT 105 children died from the flu last year? We can't even debate on an ACTUAL number? Your argument is all just hypothetical?

- ABOUT 90% had not been vaccinated? You can't even tell me how many were or were not vaccinated? Your argument is all sizzle, no steak.

- You accuse me of calling infant deaths insignificant and then selectively proceed to list the alleged figures for child vaccination rates, rather than the lower infant vaccination rates. This type of selective science & massaging of numbers is why people like me are so skeptical in the first place. People with a good case don't have to massage the numbers, lie or twist people's words. The facts are self evident, which in the case of the flu vaccine, they're not.

- So let's use the 66% figure (their figure, which we've already established is just a guess) for argument's sake. That's 66% of only 3 flu strains that they guessed last year, would appear this year. There are dozens of flu strains that strike people every year, with new ones morphing every winter. So that 66% effectiveness over 30 strains is actually pretty weak sauce, even if you believe their estimated numbers.

- You mentioned whooping cough as a distraction and to be dramatic, because you couldn't make your point with just the flu.

- You stated that Big Pharma ensures they'll make a nice profit off these vaccines or else they won't produce them and I full wholeheartedly agree! Only a fool would think these corporations are benevolent and care about your health. They care about maximizing profits, period. You said they'd make less money by forcing everyone in the country to take the shot & that's crazy talk. By your own definition they will not do something that will be a net loss for them, so how can you try to convince me that they're taking a loss on mandatory vaccinations?

- Big Pharma is content with the profit from flu vaccinations? Of course you can't possibly know this, just more unfounded nonsense for m you. But, just for fun put your thinking cap on for a minute... You really believe that any mega-corporation is content with profits? You really believe that? Is Walmart content with profits? Is ExxonMobil content with profits? Don't tell their shareholders they're content with their profits or their stock price will crash in a hurry. No they're absolutely not content with their profits which is why they spend more money lobbying than on R/D. If they can pay our politicians to mandate/force us to get injected than they can make, much, much, more money.
I understand that you feel any deaths from influenza are acceptable and that mythical complications from flu vaccine should be a bigger concern than real deaths from flu.

I believe that any child's death from a preventable infectious disease, including flu, is unacceptable.

An analysis of vaccine profits:

Big Pharma supports the antivaccine movement

A comment on "researching" vaccines by anti-vaxers

Denialism: ‘Researching’ the case against vaccines | Losing In The Lucky Country

You might want to read about the Dunning-Kruger effect:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-kruger-effect

Old 12-25-2013, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
You never disappoint .... you can be counted on no matter what, to promote absurdity in every conceivable form .... hahaha. And it would be comically entertaining if the matter were not so serious and important.

But really ... you want to float the idea that pharmaceutical corporations would deliberately act to reduce their own profits for the sake of it's aultruistic desires to prevent illness is truly over the top, even for you SuzyQ. That led zepplin won't get off the ground.

This does highlight an important point though .... the true goal of vaccines cannot possibly be attributed to the benevolent desire to promote wellness by a cartel that has too often been caught covering up the dangers posed by their poisons ... those that understand this , more often than not falsely believe that the true motive is purely about profits of these greedy and uncaring corporations, when the reality is far more sinister.

The vaccine program is a key component in the larger goal of eugenics and population control/reduction. Now for most people, this is a very difficult reality to consider, because it is so psychopathic in nature, they cannot conceive of this type of evil existing. Yet this requires a hefty set of blinders since such evil is exposed every day in the daily news.!

The truth can be so disturbing that people actually prefer lies. They refuse to consider the facts or ask themselves simple questions like "who are these scientists and microbiologists who work tirelessly in laboratories cooking up weaponized biological agents whose only purpose is to infect grave harm on people these psychopaths couldn't care less about. Who made the gas to exterminate 6 million jews? It was a german pharmaceutical corporation!!!

I could go on and on about how 200 million people were murdered in the 20th century alone ... by their own loving governments!

Oh yes ... such evil surely does exist, and some of them do wear white coats and have letters of credentials after their names. Once people overcome this aversion to the harsh reality we're dealing with, lots of other things that don't make sense ... such as giving Hep-B vaccine to infants just hours after birth, all of a sudden do make sense, when you understand that the actual goal is not to prevent an infection primarily contracted by intraveneous drug use and sexual activity which infants are unlikely to be engaging in, but is intended to chemically castrate the undeveloped immune systems of these poor defenseless babies.

This is the evil we're dealing with, and it must be dealt with by educating and deprogramming people who have been manipulated into believing that poisoning their own children is a healthy thing to do, when it is nothing short of shear insanity.
Did Santa bring you a new tin hat, Tex?

Old 12-25-2013, 01:11 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,473,441 times
Quote:
If there were no vaccines, big pharma would be even bigger. It would be much more profitable to treat sick people than it is to prevent them from getting sick in the first place. You can pay for a lot of vaccine for what a single day in an ICU would cost.
No. Only a tiny fraction of people get ill. And you make nothing from all the healthy people who didn't get vaccinated. You make more money vaccinating entire populations than you do treating a few sick people. That's how insurance works. Vaccinations are insurance.

It's irrelevant what a day in an ICU costs because the people who profit from the vaccines are not the same people who profit from the ICU. You don't go to the ICU to get a vaccination. The proper comparison is the cost of the vaccination versus the cost of the medication taken while sick. The rest of the cost of the hospital stay isn't part of the equation.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:21 PM

7,713 posts, read 4,760,943 times
Quote:
I understand that you feel any deaths from influenza are acceptable and that mythical complications from flu vaccine should be a bigger concern than real deaths from flu.

I believe that any child's death from a preventable infectious disease, including flu, is unacceptable.

An analysis of vaccine profits:

Big Pharma supports the antivaccine movement

A comment on "researching" vaccines by anti-vaxers

Denialism: ‘Researching’ the case against vaccines | Losing In The Lucky Country

You might want to read about the Dunning-Kruger effect:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-kruger-effect
So if one single child dies because of the flu, then the other 349,999,999 people in our country should be mandated to receive a vaccination that statistically, probably won't prevent them from getting the flu? I'm starting to think you really are a paid corporate shill.

It's the same paranoia mindset as the people who believe in the "War on Terror", "Global Warming" or that we need a Domestic NSA spy program. All emotionally driven, no logic or facts involved.

Remember, I'm not the one trying to force you to not have a flu shot. By all means, live in constant fear, inject your children with chemicals if you're that terrified of the flu. It's you, who's trying to force your beliefs on us. That means the burden of proof lies on you to prove your pint and you simply can't. Not only can you not prove your point, you can't even tell us the baseline data to begin a legitimate scientific debate such as how many people die from the flu, how many cases are prevented, etc. You literally have no facts or proof to prove anything. Fine, believe in the boogeyman, but when you try to force your kookery & voodoo science on my kids I'm going to fight you over it & win. I've got 3 kids with no flu vaccine attending school every day, deal with it.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:52 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,133,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post

Geeze.... Turn in your Texas card, you are no longer welcome. Go to Arizona or Nevada, they seem to support conspiracies more.

But please, link some citations to support to your ramblings....

Old 12-25-2013, 04:16 PM

13,310 posts, read 7,890,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Geeze.... Turn in your Texas card, you are no longer welcome. Go to Arizona or Nevada, they seem to support conspiracies more.

But please, link some citations to support to your ramblings....
Texas is full of believers.

You sound like one of them.

It is a very authoritarian state.

The Christian equivalent of Saudi Islam.

It's the law.

Old 12-25-2013, 04:23 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,133,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Texas is full of believers.

You sound like one of them.

It is a very authoritarian state.

The Christian equivalent of Saudi Islam.

It's the law.
Bahahaha says the person who can't say where they actually get their information from. Run along now....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies