Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2013, 10:10 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,037,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiovo View Post
This isn't about conservatives and liberals calling each other names. This is about a public figure that represents Houston and the people of Houston stooping down to the level of middle schoolers. I get that the comments are personal for her, but she still needs to be professional.

What I find ironic is people getting all upset about some comments a reality show "star" said in an interview. Get over that.
She expressed her views in an interview and reaffirmed then on twitter. She didn't set out to defame the guy she was just asked what she thought about it and responded candidly.

I'm just pointing out the double standard that right wing politicians and pundits have done for years red baiting liberals and calling them anti American, questioning loyalty, insinuating nefarious things, jabs, etc. nothing was ever said.

The calls for "civility" among cons is just a cop out to me. They get all upset and react like hurt children.

I agree that the media shouldn't pay too closely to what a fool like Robertson said but that was Parker's point! That what some redneck wing nut says about homosexuality is irrelevant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2013, 10:13 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,974,756 times
Lets keep this on Mayor Parker...

Old 12-22-2013, 10:17 AM

14,887 posts, read 10,063,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Why in the heck are a lot of you so shocked that someone called a guy a wingnut? I thought all that was a badge of pride for some of you on the right end of the spectrum? I mean the double standard is so transparent. Cons like to dish it out but ever like taking it when its dished back.

Get over it.
I'm not shocked and what she said isn't why I started this thread. She's the mayor of Houston and she openly degraded someone using social media numerous times. She's an elected official and should act like one.

Old 12-22-2013, 10:23 AM

14,887 posts, read 10,063,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
She expressed her views in an interview and reaffirmed then on twitter. She didn't set out to defame the guy she was just asked what she thought about it and responded candidly.

I'm just pointing out the double standard that right wing politicians and pundits have done for years red baiting liberals and calling them anti American, questioning loyalty, insinuating nefarious things, jabs, etc. nothing was ever said.

The calls for "civility" among cons is just a cop out to me. They get all upset and react like hurt children.

I agree that the media shouldn't pay too closely to what a fool like Robertson said but that was Parker's point! That what some redneck wing nut says about homosexuality is irrelevant.
And what some ignorant, overweight lesbian says about rednecks is also irrelevant but that's not the point of this thread. Mayor Annise Parker isn't just some ignorant, overweight lesbian... she's an elected public official and whether she likes it or not she's supposed to show some level of professionalism. I'm paying attention to what Mayor Parker said a lot more than to what the Duck Dynasty guy said because he's just a guy on a reality show with no ability to affect anyone's lives. Mayor Parker on the other hand is an elected official and she works in our local government to create and enforce legislation that could potentially affect all of our lives.

Phil's comments don't embarrass me in the least bit, Mayor Parker's comments embarrass me as a resident of the Houston area.

Old 12-22-2013, 11:29 AM

705 posts, read 1,262,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
Mayor Parker on the other hand is an elected official and she works in our local government to create and enforce legislation that could potentially affect all of our lives.
This.

A part of the population of Houston that Mayor Parker was elected to represent and serve are "redneck wingnuts" and have the same beliefs as Robertson. But I guess they're irrelevant to her because they don't share her same personal beliefs.

I do not not know Mayor Parker personally, but my husband does work for the City of Houston. Her comments and behind the scene attitude against anyone that does not agree with her are out right despicable.

It'll be interesting to see if Parker decides to run for another office (state or federal level) after this. I have no doubt this tweet will come back to haunt her.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:08 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,091,169 times
That isn't true because most rednecks have moved out of the city limits, living in unincorporated areas. City council is very democrat leaning. The white conservatives in Spring Branch are the closest thing to rednecks the city has.

Parker worked in the energy industry so she knows what built the city.

Quote:
This.

A part of the population of Houston that Mayor Parker was elected to represent and serve are "redneck wingnuts" and have the same beliefs as Robertson. But I guess they're irrelevant to her because they don't share her same personal beliefs.

I do not not know Mayor Parker personally, but my husband does work for the City of Houston. Her comments and behind the scene attitude against anyone that does not agree with her are out right despicable.

It'll be interesting to see if Parker decides to run for another office (state or federal level) after this. I have no doubt this tweet will come back to haunt her.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:37 PM

568 posts, read 903,349 times
I couldn't care less really. I don't vote for politicians because they are politically correct.

Old 12-22-2013, 02:59 PM

705 posts, read 1,262,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
That isn't true because most rednecks have moved out of the city limits, living in unincorporated areas. City council is very democrat leaning. The white conservatives in Spring Branch are the closest thing to rednecks the city has.

Parker worked in the energy industry so she knows what built the city.
So you're saying there are no rednecks at all living inside Houston city limits? No citizen of Houston that shares the exact same views as Robertson?

Old 12-22-2013, 03:32 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,704,517 times
I think she got him pegged just right.

Old 12-22-2013, 03:42 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,157,700 times
Quote:
Once again this was not just a tweet. Someone interviewed her and she stated her opinion.

This was her actual tweet, "When i called Phil Robertson of Duck Dynasty a redneck wingnut whose views are completely irrelevant" I was serious. Who cares?-A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies