Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-24-2013, 12:50 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,374,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
People would rather bring up unrelated stuff then accept the fact that the current minimum wage puts a stress on the governments welfare program. If you paid someone 10 an hour they could live and pay for college and move up in life without food stamps.
No they couldn't. The people making $10 an hour would then demand $15. Those making $15 will demand $20, those making $20 will demand $27. Inflation follows and everyone is right back where they started.

So then you say that it doesn't have to be that way.....it does. Someone making $7.50 takes on extra responsibilities to get a raise to $10. Screw that if you can make $10 anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 12:51 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,374,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JettNexus View Post
And I would like to add. That wages clearly haven't kept up with col.
This is true but the problem is the government doing things to artificially raise prices. Those making $7.50 an hour would have a far easier time of it if the government wasn't inflating the markets which increases the prices of commodities and housing.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:52 PM

237 posts, read 192,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Then raise them ALL, not just one group. You like fair right?????
That's called communism. We live in a mixed market economy. The governments job is to keep it fair for all parties. Your post are very ignorant.

Old 12-24-2013, 12:53 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,487,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No they couldn't. The people making $10 an hour would then demand $15. Those making $15 will demand $20, those making $20 will demand $27. Inflation follows and everyone is right back where they started.

So then you say that it doesn't have to be that way.....it does. Someone making $7.50 takes on extra responsibilities to get a raise to $10. Screw that if you can make $10 anyway.
People that say you can live and go to college on 10/hr, most likely part time, must be kids. They have no idea what it's like out there.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:02 PM

7,545 posts, read 5,794,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
Sorry, I find no humor in people loosing their jobs, especially at Christmas.
They have the right to protest under the law, just as the owner has the right to pay the wages he chooses, and I would not be surprised if this gets challenged in court under the labor laws. You generally don't fire people when you close to remodel, you lay them off and call them back when you reopen. I hope the employees sue.
It's an at will state. Nothing to sue over

Old 12-24-2013, 01:04 PM

237 posts, read 192,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
People that say you can live and go to college on 10/hr, most likely part time, must be kids. They have no idea what it's like out there.
Exactly. They think your chasing an iPhone. No, most people are trying to grab there next meal. You can attend community college and live almost decently on $10 an hour. University though forget about it.

$7.45 is definitely not working today.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,060,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to work for somebody too gutless to fire an employee in person. Email is the coward's way out.

Radio Shack did the same thing several years back, and I know several people (myself included) who will never spend another nickel with them.
I agree but in today's age that is how things are done. If I have a problem with somebody or my boss has an issue with me I want to hear it from em but everything is done via email anymore or online. One sad thing about technology. Many have come to the point of not being able to communicate anymore.

And I hate Radio Shack too. It's like a cult you walk in and three folks jump you asking what you need and follow you all around the store. Even if you say your just looking around they "hover". lol

Old 12-24-2013, 01:08 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,287,131 times
Quote:
Thank you I feel the same, I am glad so many here feel so much compassion for their fellow man.
I have compassion; when its called for. Its not here. These moron's protested, wanted more money, working at a sandwich shop? They got fired for it. Its the owners right to fire whom he/she see's fit, so long as its not due to race, religion, etc.

If they wanted a higher paying job, they should have gotten off their combined lazy butts, and went out and found them. They rolled the dice and it came up Snake Eyes. No compassion needed and/or warranted.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:18 PM

37,820 posts, read 41,136,907 times
If they are actually in the business part of Chicago, a lot of people (who work in Chicago) have off the week between Christmas and New Year, so I believe them when they say it's their slow time. But if they do remodel, I wonder how many of the workers would have had a chance to still be employed if they didn't go protest.

If these employees were the sharpest tools in the shed, they would have known how easy it was to replace them. I'm thinking they got as much notice as they gave their boss when they didn't show up for a few days.

Old 12-24-2013, 01:20 PM

4,003 posts, read 6,125,605 times
Quote:
Sorry, I find no humor in people loosing their jobs, especially at Christmas.
They have the right to protest under the law, just as the owner has the right to pay the wages he chooses, and I would not be surprised if this gets challenged in court under the labor laws. You generally don't fire people when you close to remodel, you lay them off and call them back when you reopen. I hope the employees sue.
illinois is an at will state you dont need any reason to fire people and as long as its not violating a protected class you cant do anything about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies