Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2013, 11:39 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,875,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

The pharmacist is not responsible for your child and their well being. You as a parent are. And this is not some young child, we are talking about a 14 year old. Don't punch the pharmacist for your ignorance.
Punch him for necessary expedience.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:41 PM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
[/b]

The pharmacist is not responsible for your child and their well being. You as a parent are. And this is not some young child, we are talking about a 14 year old. Don't punch the pharmacist for your ignorance.
and if the thing broke or was ineffective- you will watch a child die to save your job? that's why Id punch the pharmacist, n do it myself -she can put me in jail later . saves her job n my kid!

Old 12-31-2013, 11:42 PM

32,072 posts, read 15,077,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
and if the thing broke or was ineffective- you will watch a child die to save your job? that's why Id punch the pharmacist, n do it myself -she can put me in jail later . saves her job n my kid!
But nothing broke or was ineffective. You are talking about what ifs instead of facts.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:02 AM

35,710 posts, read 21,076,200 times
as the question would go--what would you do? maybe you forgot, maybe it fell out, maybe you though the gal had hers on her?? point is you need one NOW seconds not hours NOW_ she ran to where she though she could get help- emergency is ON!
did she go in there wait her turn and say kindly say-"give me an epi-pen" I seriously doubt it,,, I have seen this in action -it's a stab and it is NOW ! The pharmacist KNOWS if they need it NOW- it's life or death - it is in his hands - yes- he keeps his job - but wonder how he will sleep.
there are rules and the is mercy- someone is in some sort of affliction I will stop and do what I can... what will you do if it happening in front of you? and BS on he didn't go outside,,, I am sure that woman begged and he could have come around that counter... I have seen my grand take a bite of a peanut cracker when the older sis brought from school and it is NOT pretty. and even after the epi-pen stab -it's a beeline to the ER

Old 01-01-2014, 08:38 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
You guys are misstating the issue. There was an attempt to absolve the Pharmacist without regard to what actually happened. That is at least morally untrue. A Pharmacist, given full knowledge, could have chosen to assist and could be found morally wanting for not doing so.

As the facts unfolded it turns out the specifics were such that the Pharmacist did not have full knowledge. So he or she could not be expected to assist without knowledge of what was happening.

The major contention however remains. The Pharmacist would have been morally required to assist with full knowledge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
Exactly, there were many arguing the pharmacist was blameless even if he knew it was a life or death situation.
in the end, IF the pharmacist knew the situation was truly dire, and that fast action was needed, and since the law allows the pharmacist to dispense certain meds without a prescription under certain circumstance, then i would expect the pharmacist to do something, and since mom knew of the allergy, and the required medication to help abate the symptoms, then go with it, and deal with the consequences later. but again that assumes that all the facts are present at the time the decision has to be made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Emma Sloan, 14, dies of nut allergy in Dublin after pharmacist refuses to hand over injection without prescription | News.com.au

Legally, the pharmacist actions were correct. Morally, he killed her. With peanut allergies, there isn't enough time to get to a hospital. Why didn't she have the pen or prescription with her? The article doesn't say. Perhaps she had already used it and hadn't had a chance to get another? Perhaps with the rush of the holiday season it slipped their minds. The article states they went to the pharmacy because it was right around the corner from the restaurant. After being sent away, the girl collapsed outside the pharmacy. A passing doctor and ambulance tried to save her but it was too late. Legally, nothing will be done to the pharmacist, but they should put that poor girl's photos in the pharmacy where they can see her every day
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Nut allergy girl didn't need script for life-saving jab - Independent.ie
News flash, prescription not needed in this situation. Pharmacy under investigation.
again the pharmacist didnt know the situation was dire, he didnt see the girl and the mother didnt communicate the urgency of the situation, and thus the pharmacist was under no legal or moral obligation to break the law.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
They should have trusted those that knew her THAT THERE WAS!!
so then you advocate that anyone should be able to walk into a pharmacy, and get any medication without a prescription, if they can bring someone with them to "vouch" for the person wanting the drugs? so then i should be able to walk up to the pharmacy counter and ask for and get oxycontin for pain without a prescription because i get someone to vouch for me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
The only use of an EpiPen is for an emergency.
yes the only use of an epipen is for emergencies, whats you point? people buy epipens all the time before they are needed for a variety of reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Epi-pens should be of minimal costs,,,. my daughter has to pay from $75 to $200 depending where n insurance, the ins pays for part of it, but its a real GAME - No ins. they wanted to charge $400--(*#$#)--- we are very careful with my grandson at 5 but it's not like you can carry these huge suckers every where you go--- or you can forget... what when he is older? then they expire... its a nightmare.
they should put it in the same category of fibula-tors. everywhere you go readily available for emergencies of a child.
right because all businesses have the needed space for every medication under the sun that might be needed for a customer, and of course every business has trained and licensed personal available to properly dispense the meds. portable defibrillators are easy enough to learn to use, and are designed to actually tell the person using it when to defibrillate and when not to defibrillate.

Quote:
I don't know overseas what laws they have,- but I would have punched the pharmacist and administerd this child meds.
so you would be willing to go to jail on several felony charges, assualt and battery, grand theft, theft of controlled substances, etc. and my next question would be, what happens when you do this to save the life of your grandson, and you grad the WRONG medication and instead of helping, you end up killing your grandson after you have assaulted the pharmacist and stolen the drugs you needed? or what happens if you are wrong and the child doesnt need the epipen and you give it to them anyway and kill them, again after you have committed the crimes listed and more?

Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 AM

30,072 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
DUBLIN, IRELAND – A teenage girl died on the street after a pharmacy refused to hand over a life-saving adrenaline injection to the girl's mother because she didn't have a prescription.

Emma Sloan, 14, suffered an allergic reaction to peanuts after mistaking satay sauce for curry sauce at a Chinese restaurant in Dublin. She told her mother, Caroline, she was having difficulty breathing.

Girl dies after pharmacist refuses to give EpiPen without prescription | Fox News

What would have happened to the pharmacist if she had died as a result of the Epi-Pen? Does the law allow the pharmacist to dispense meds without a script?

Old 01-01-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
yes the only use of an epipen is for emergencies, whats you point? people buy epipens all the time before they are needed for a variety of reasons.
Professional stupidity is the most bullet-proof legal immunity in the United States.

Matter of fact, any defendant who you can maintain an appearance of stupidity (or ignorance) in any court in this country will be exonerated.

It took root in the Reagan Administration, and has now become legal science.

A pharmacist usually has had to spend five years in college to earn a Certificate of Limited Knowledge.

Most all professional disciplines require total abandonment of that elusive thing called "common sense".

Professionals have earned their ignorance, and it is protected by the courts.

Old 01-01-2014, 12:41 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,858,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
Professional stupidity is the most bullet-proof legal immunity in the United States.

Matter of fact, any defendant who you can maintain an appearance of stupidity (or ignorance) in any court in this country will be exonerated.

It took root in the Reagan Administration, and has now become legal science.

A pharmacist usually has had to spend five years in college to earn a Certificate of Limited Knowledge.

Most all professional disciplines require total abandonment of that elusive thing called "common sense".

Professionals have earned their ignorance, and it is protected by the courts.
you seem to enjoy insulting anyone who is not you. it may take five years to get a pharmacy certificate, but how much of that time is dedicated to pharmacy law, and the nuances of those laws? remember the colleges are training these people to dispense medications and to answer any questions regarding those medications, and are given BASIC law courses in regards to what is allowed and what isnt in general terms.

and just so you know, common sense isnt a defense in court.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
you seem to enjoy insulting anyone who is not you. it may take five years to get a pharmacy certificate, but how much of that time is dedicated to pharmacy law, and the nuances of those laws? remember the colleges are training these people to dispense medications and to answer any questions regarding those medications, and are given BASIC law courses in regards to what is allowed and what isnt in general terms.

and just so you know, common sense isnt a defense in court.
ABANDON YE ALL COMMON SENSE WHEN ENTERING HERE

You sound like one of Sgt Schultz' personal security guards.

It seems to be YOUR legal opinion that pharmacists are lessor persons than ordinary folk.

And, in the instance of this Epic Pen case, I would tend to agree with you.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What would have happened to the pharmacist if she had died as a result of the Epi-Pen?
There seems to be no statistic to support your speculation.

Rather, it seems to go entirely the other way.

https://www.google.com/#q=EpiPen+dea...stics&start=10
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies