Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 06:01 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I am sorry. Without reservation or qualification. I apologize to the Romney family.

MSNBC Host Apologizes for Segment Mocking Romney’s Adopted Black Grandson | TheBlaze.com

It appears to me to be a sincere apology. One should get credit for that.
Yeah right, msnbc hosts now are required to pre tape an apology , so they have it ready to go every week. How would you like that dimbulb broad teaching your kid? I believe she is a college "proffessor"!

Old 12-31-2013, 06:12 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
There can be NO doubt that this was totally planned.
The segment was called - Nerdland plays Caption That! - MSNBC

Do your own search - you won't find any reference to the Romney Christmas Family photo as a "most talked about photo" of 2013. It was a deliberate slam against Romeny, his family and his new Black Grandchild. No excuses for Melissa Harris Perry and her band of bigots. She has a long history of this sort of thing. Carefully planned and carefully executed.

Second to the "stay safe and be healthy - don't drink and drive. The life you save could be your own, and living with causing the death of another with Drunk Driving has to be the worst of the worst.
I so agree with you also, but we all know that people are going to drink, past tells us this. I don' have but maybe one glass of champagne or maybe a glass of wine, true and that is it. And we stay home.

Past we have experienced too many drunks on the road for New Years, rather stay home. But people are going to drink, if they do, rather have them safe then sorry.
But I do agree with you.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:21 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Be fired just like the sexist pig Bashir who did get fired.

I don't think a person should necessarily be fired for one idiotic moment on television, particularly when the objective of shock television and radio is to tiptoe on the boundaries of what is and isn't appropriate. The lines are going to be crossed sometimes, and they certainly were this time, and I think you've seen nearly universal criticism of the segment. I agree that MSNBC is probably guilty of blatant hypocrisy when it comes to matters of race, but they're not the only ones being hypocritical, either.

My biggest problem with this, with Fox, with MSNBC, with television and radio "entertainment" in general is that the quality of American political discourse is just trashy. The result is that the average person can't get legitimate news and politics has become this charade in which there are two teams or two soap opera characters, with one half of America cheering for one character and the other half rooting for the other. This is a stupid, neanderthalish way to look at the world. Lots of people from lots of different point on the ideological continuum have good ideas. We need to stop using mass media to troll each other and try to understand and respect different viewpoints.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 01-05-2014 at 06:01 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 12-31-2013, 06:41 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,134,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Agree, brentwoodgirl. After the Bashir, Baldwin and Harris-Perry recent incidents, one wonders what kind of philosophy MSNBC's management really holds about women, homosexuals and racism.
The funny part is that whatever MSNBC is Fox News is worst... MSNBC borders what's acceptable on the left and Fox News borders and more often then not crosses the line on the far right side...

They should have just left it alone because that kid will most likely get from cruel school children growing up...

Old 12-31-2013, 06:42 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
A few points.

1. The issue here isn't really MSNBC; it's the quality of American political discourse. It's terrible. The average political debate descends into an asinine conversation pretty quickly, and it's probably in large part because these shows that pretend to be news are really nothing more than glorified versions of the Jerry Spring show. MSNBC's hardly the only violator; Fox News and CNN are no better.

2. Turns out that the commentators in question were black, which raises the issue of a double standard among minorities and the Left - and I basically am saying this as someone who's voted more left than right in recent years. It's getting pretty tired to say the least to have people assume that they get a free pass to be a douchebag and say snarky things that involve race just because they have a certain DNA profile or because they claim high ground for supporting some leftist not-for-profit organization. And no, I'm not trying to play a violin for white people or suggesting that somehow whites should have greater latitude to be a-holes in return. I think I'm saying that if it's wrong for one person to be a smug, insensitive jerk, then it's wrong for everyone else. Nothing more, nothing less. I only bring this up because I assume that a white republican journalist would have been insane to have even considered going there, knowing the consequences.

3. To the conservatives reading this and piling on liberals just because now you think you finally have something to chew on in terms of political flame bait, get over yourselves. If you really, truly cared about trying to turn this negative into a positive, you'd gladly and humbly appreciate the willingness of "the left" to acknowledge the inappropriateness of MSNBC's trash talk, without reservation. You wouldn't be piling on talking about how this is proof positive about how evil liberals are, which makes me think that you are actually just as much a part of the problem as Ed Schultz, Martin Brashir, or Meliss Harris-Perry - or anyone else you despise on the network.

4. #Respectability. I'm really sick and tired of taking to Twitter to apologize. That is just some lame-assed weak stuff right there. A tool for narcissists who can't stand being told that they have faults and don't want to be held accountable. I might be old fashioned, but absent of actually apologizing to someone in person, I'd much rather someone come on the air or do a Skype interview with the offended person - heck, a phone call would suffice. Putting a post on FB or Twitter just makes dishonorable speech even less honorable. I am not necessarily a Romney fan. I didn't vote for him. But honestly, I respect him more than the people who ridiculed his grandchild - by a mile. At least he's had the balls to face people and say whatever's on his mind to their faces. At least he's actually created something, put people to work. What have these idiots ever done?

Old 12-31-2013, 08:00 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,605,343 times
Meaningless apology from the Doltocrats.........the Libstinkers HATE Romney.

Old 12-31-2013, 08:45 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
It was. Rush did the right thing and apologized to Hillary also. The point first of all being that offering up a sincere apology was the right thing for both to do.

After all of these years Rush is still maligned for his statement so I guess this lady has the same to look forward to?
She's liberal. The mainstream culture is liberal. So it will be forgive and forget with her.

Just like Bush Sr's "no new taxes" and the liberal claim that Bush Jr lied about WMD in Iraq went on for year after year after year. But when it comes to Obama's "if you like your insurance you can keep it" it becomes well all politicians lie so it's no big deal.

Old 12-31-2013, 11:24 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,464,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
A few points.

1. The issue here isn't really MSNBC; it's the quality of American political discourse. It's terrible. The average political debate descends into an asinine conversation pretty quickly, and it's probably in large part because these shows that pretend to be news are really nothing more than glorified versions of the Jerry Spring show. MSNBC's hardly the only violator; Fox News and CNN are no better.
Yes they are better. MSNBC is in a class by itself.
Quote:
2. Turns out that the commentators in question were black, which raises the issue of a double standard among minorities and the Left - and I basically am saying this as someone who's voted more left than right in recent years. It's getting pretty tired to say the least to have people assume that they get a free pass to be a douchebag and say snarky things that involve race just because they have a certain DNA profile or because they claim high ground for supporting some leftist not-for-profit organization. And no, I'm not trying to play a violin for white people or suggesting that somehow whites should have greater latitude to be a-holes in return. I think I'm saying that if it's wrong for one person to be a smug, insensitive jerk, then it's wrong for everyone else. Nothing more, nothing less. I only bring this up because I assume that a white republican journalist would have been insane to have even considered going there, knowing the consequences.
This is the culture we live in. Put in place and supported by liberals. You get liberals holding the vast majority of positions in education, journalism, and entertainment and this is the culture you get. You get a culture where a food network lady admits to using the N word 20 years ago and gets fired over it, while Charlie Rangel calls caucasians white crackers in an interview at the same time and nobody cares.
Quote:
3. To the conservatives reading this and piling on liberals just because now you think you finally have something to chew on in terms of political flame bait, get over yourselves. If you really, truly cared about trying to turn this negative into a positive, you'd gladly and humbly appreciate the willingness of "the left" to acknowledge the inappropriateness of MSNBC's trash talk, without reservation. You wouldn't be piling on talking about how this is proof positive about how evil liberals are, which makes me think that you are actually just as much a part of the problem as Ed Schultz, Martin Brashir, or Meliss Harris-Perry - or anyone else you despise on the network.
Then you think wrong.

When someone does X to you a hundred times, and then finally has X done to them it is only human nature to find some satisfaction in that. It's "just desserts". When a villain gets their comeuppance at the end of a movie, people cheer.

The liberals aren't afraid to go gangbusters with their negative campaigning. Republicans want to throw grandma off a cliff, want to put black people back in chains, want to wage a war on women, want children with downs syndrome to fend for themselves, etc. They have been saying these things with impunity for years. The Republicans' negative campaigning was to say that Obama was an incompetent whose policies didn't work. The Democrats' negative campaigning was to say that Romney was a tax cheat who murdered people. There is a world of difference there.

There is absolutely nothing hypocritical about conservatives being glad that liberals are finally getting called out for their outrageous violations of civil discourse while they claim to be the open minded and tolerant ones.
Quote:
4. #Respectability. I'm really sick and tired of taking to Twitter to apologize. That is just some lame-assed weak stuff right there. A tool for narcissists who can't stand being told that they have faults and don't want to be held accountable. I might be old fashioned, but absent of actually apologizing to someone in person, I'd much rather someone come on the air or do a Skype interview with the offended person - heck, a phone call would suffice. Putting a post on FB or Twitter just makes dishonorable speech even less honorable. I am not necessarily a Romney fan. I didn't vote for him. But honestly, I respect him more than the people who ridiculed his grandchild - by a mile. At least he's had the balls to face people and say whatever's on his mind to their faces. At least he's actually created something, put people to work. What have these idiots ever done?
They don't have to do anything. Simply by virtue of being liberal they are morally superior to conservatives in their own minds. It's the "I'm only intolerant of intolerance" defense, where you can be exactly as narrow minded and offensive as you want as long as your behavior directed towards politically correct targets.

Old 01-01-2014, 01:39 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times
I think her apology was sincere, and I do think she may have some race issues as a previous poster mentioned, but it has not been mentioned that Melissa Perry has a white mother, so she is bi-racial. I dont think she is a racist.

Old 01-01-2014, 04:22 AM

24,415 posts, read 23,070,474 times
Just toss the idiot off the air and let her enjoy obscurity peddling her hate and isolated views on a blog somewhere.
Sadly you could at least a half dozen MSNBCers that are just as bad and are also deserving to be tossed on the dung heap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies