Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2014, 08:17 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rush99 View Post
min. wage hurts the poor especially blacks and latinos and the youth.
Because they can't get a $2/hr job?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:20 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Not if Obamacare siphons off a substantial amount of their earnings, which it will. The Dems will lose middle class votes as realization dawns that Obamacare is brutally expensive, premiums + deductibles + care provider limitations.
Oh that's so October, when the news was filled with the Obamacare website disaster. Now, millions who couldn't get insurance have signed up. Moreover, others are finding that their new insurance is better than their old insurance. Some are finding it cheaper; others are finding it about the same cost; and others are paying more. There is no consensus that comparable insurance is more expensive under Obamacare. That's just right-wing propaganda and wishful thinking -- since the right is still mad they lost the health reform debate.

The Obamacare success stories you haven't been hearing about - Los Angeles Times

Old 01-06-2014, 08:23 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Oh that's so October, when the news was filled with the Obamacare website disaster. Now, millions who couldn't get insurance have signed up. Moreover, others are finding that their new insurance is better than their old insurance. Some are finding it cheaper; others are finding it about the same cost; and others are paying more. There is no consensus that comparable insurance is more expensive under Obamacare. That's just right-wing propaganda and wishful thinking -- since the right is still mad they lost the health reform debate.
But Fox News tells me the Democrats are doomed because of Obamacare!

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,975,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
And the rent keeps going up and up while the mortgage payment stays constant, unless you refi at a lower rate and reduce your payment. Yes, taxes and insurance generally rise but they generally do not constitute most of the cost structure. Rent inflation means landlords can capture wage increases whether or not costs rise accordingly. I lived in a house for more than 10 years; there was no mortgage and so the rent was a huge profit stream; about $100K over 10 years with no major expenses during that time.
How did that "no mortgage" come about then? Because the landlord saved up for YEARS and paid cash, I'm guessing? Yes, the rent was a profit stream, because of careful planning, saving and sacrifice.

And as a homeowner, I can tell you that taxes and insurance most certainly constitute a good portion of the cost structure. As is maintenance and repairs.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,142,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
??? Why should I have bad credit when I have had NO credit activity in over 10 years?
Because by your own self-admission here on CD over and over you admitted that you are still hiding from your past creditor's, have made no attempt to rectify nor even acknowledge the fact that you owe, and you do nothing but whine about what's not fair in your life. If you continue to act like a deadbeat your lot in life will never change. And neither will your credit rating.

Personally, I've had it with dead beats, whiners, and locust. I've spent over 1/2 my life 1000's of miles away from home, living in this RV which this morning has ICE inside the walls. I watched this morning as my husband went out the door in sub-freezing temperatures at 4:30 am to put in another 80 hour work week so we could make a living, take responsibility for us and our family, only to listen to people make excuses about, "why it isn't fair?" PPffttt.... and they want more money to work in their hometown in a warm fast food restaurant?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
How did that "no mortgage" come about then? Because the landlord saved up for YEARS and paid cash, I'm guessing? Yes, the rent was a profit stream, because of careful planning, saving and sacrifice.

And as a homeowner, I can tell you that taxes and insurance most certainly constitute a good portion of the cost structure. As is maintenance and repairs.
Most real estate is bought with borrowed money, not money saved for year and years. In the case of landlords, the renters are paying the mortgage, interest and taxes -- which the landlord gets to deduct and not the renter. On top of that, the landlord can depreciate the property also. That's one example of how the tax laws are skewed towards the wealthy.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:37 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Depends on the location, in NYC $15/hr makes sense, Kansas $10.71 is more realistic.
Make what sense?

Labor is a form of product. Why is it OK for the government to mandate a minimum cost for a product? Why not mandate milk should be sold at $50/gallon to help the dairy industry?

Old 01-06-2014, 08:40 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,855,263 times
The Dems are waging a "War on Income inequality" ... the Repubs will lose this battle also.

Old 01-06-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Make what sense?

Labor is a form of product. Why is it OK for the government to mandate a minimum cost for a product? Why not mandate milk should be sold at $50/gallon to help the dairy industry?
In actuality, the government does mandate minimum milk prices.

No, labor is not a form of product. In most markets, unskilled laborers have little say in the rates they are paid and have little power to demand higher rates, since they are disorganized. If worker "A" demands higher wages, the employer can easily find someone somewhere willing to work for that rate or less.

This is not beneficial to society as it encourages spiraling down labor rates and puts pressure to be economically deflationary.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:05 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,620,776 times
I think any minimum wage hike proposals should automatically include a mandatory 20% raise for anyone currently making between the old minimum wage and the new proposed minimum wage. How is it fair for someone making $9.25 ($2.00 over minimum wage), when the minimum wage goes up to $10.00 and his/her wage is instantly 'reduced' to minimum wage? You're reducing the buying power of everyone making between the old and proposed wages, which is extremely unfair to them.

Should be interesting to see this hike when applied to the real world, when the unemployment rate starts increasing again due to the layoffs, hiring freezes and closings caused by a 20% increase in labor costs forced on businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies