Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Who the fk buys $5 loaves of bread?

This is a prime example that you should NEVER enter into a business.. Or maybe you should so we can laugh at you when it fails in weeks 1 and 2 rather than years out like most.
But he can spend of rest of his life saying "I paid my employees more than minimum wage, right up until the day I went out of business".

Old 01-10-2014, 11:12 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So the chest beating about minimum wage employees not being paid higher than 1967 is not emotional. Uh, because they are.....
Nope, just based on facts. The less money people earn from their place of employment the more they need from government assistance. I have no interest in funding businesses that can't afford or choose not to pay their lowest wage employees below the cost of living wage.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:14 AM

Quote:
OK, so the business doesn't make enough to earn a profit. You want to pay employees more, but are taking in less. So where exactly does this cash come from, to pay your employees?
If a business isn't earning a profit, they have more problems to worry about and no lowering of the minimum wage is going to fix that.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:16 AM

Quote:
But he can spend of rest of his life saying "I paid my employees more than minimum wage, right up until the day I went out of business".
You have obviously never had Dave's Killer Bread, it is worth the extra amount. Also why would I hire employees just for the sake of hiring? I would want to make sure my business is stable before adding new employees so that I can afford to pay them a good wage and still turn a profit. This isn't rocket science.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:18 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Nope, just based on facts. The less money people earn from their place of employment the more they need from government assistance.
Only if you accept that false dilemma, which is founded on the premise that everyone is owed something by everyone else virtue of simply existing, thus being born makes you either slave or enslaver. Is that your position? That I am the slave of someone else because they exist?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:26 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So you can afford to pay more than minimum wage but you don't want to.
Urbanlife78,

Like I said before, labor is just another product. Would you pay 20% more for the same TV, DVD, groceries, cloths, furniture etc. sold in Costco than the ones sold in WalMart? It really doesn't matter your answer is yes or no because you aren't running a business.

When we are running a business, we are constantly looking for ways to reduce our cost, meaning buying cheaper products. If Vendor B sells the same product cheaper than Vendor A while providing the same level of customer service and support, there's no reason for me not to switch. Doing that would maximize my profit, and that profit would be used to pay the employees who work for me.

Same thing goes with the labor. If I can pay Gentleman B less than A for the same position both are applying for, unless A can provide a better service, I am going to hire B.

It's not "I don't want to", and it's not a personal decision made out of spite. It is a rational business decision all geared towards maximizing the profit so that my company can grow/survive and my employees can get a raise/bonus.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Only if you accept that false dilemma, which is founded on the premise that everyone is owed something by everyone else virtue of simply existing, thus being born makes you either slave or enslaver. Is that your position? That I am the slave of someone else because they exist?
For some people, their mere existence entitles them to other people's asset, particularly after they find out that they can vote to take other people's asset.

Old 01-10-2014, 11:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,659,014 times
Urbanlife. You still haven't said what your job/business is? You say why be in business if you can't pay employees, we'll why be in business if you can't afford employees which is your situation. I never said no to a raise, I can make that difference up in charging 10 cents more for everything.

When someone goes to school that spends time and money to earn an education and get a degree , they earn a reward of good pay not minimum wage.

When someone doesn't do this at all why she he or she make a great pay when the abilities are limited and don't produce profits?

Should I pay the person working a register as much as a chef that took a culinary class ?

Old 01-10-2014, 11:59 AM

I was born so you have to feed me.
I have job that requires no skills and every Joe Blow with 2 brain cells can do but you still have to pay me at least $X/hour.
I don't have money so you have to give me some.
I have babies and I don't know who the fathers are, even I do, they have no money so you have to feed them and my babies in addition to the one I am about to pop.
I have no health insurance but you need to cover it for me.
I don't pay taxes but I think everybody else isn't paying enough, and you need to make them pay more tax.

If you don't agree, you are a heartless right wing nut job who only cares about money.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:13 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

When we are running a business, we are constantly looking for ways to reduce our cost, meaning buying cheaper products. If Vendor B sells the same product cheaper than Vendor A while providing the same level of customer service and support, there's no reason for me not to switch. Doing that would maximize my profit, and that profit would be used to pay the employees who work for me.

Same thing goes with the labor. If I can pay Gentleman B less than A for the same position both are applying for, unless A can provide a better service, I am going to hire B.

It's not "I don't want to", and it's not a personal decision made out of spite. It is a rational business decision all geared towards maximizing the profit so that my company can grow/survive and my employees can get a raise/bonus.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies