Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 05:50 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't understand why you think we should we be at 60-70% now. We're not at 60-70% unemployment because companies/firms raise prices in response to higher costs of doing business. I can assure you that prices have increased 60-70% since the 50s.

I'm not talking about rampant unemployment or depression here, I'm just saying that raising it, I suppose in the case of Washington, would result in maybe 2,000 to 3000 existing jobs being eliminated plus jobs that will never be created because of the increased cost.
And how many jobs will Washington create seeing it is a growing economy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2014, 05:56 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,078,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
You can tell which customers pay for their own groceries and which are on food stamps. The people paying for their own groceries actually look at the prices before putting the item into their cart.
That's not always true. I've been on foodstamps at times and I'm just as smart a shopper as Swingblade. Many people who get foodstamps work

Old 01-17-2014, 06:03 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,899,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And how many jobs will Washington create seeing it is a growing economy?
It will be slightly less. So when businesses hire, they want employees whose added value will exceed their cost. What this means for a state of 6-7 million in an intermediate term is a few thousand IMO. The largest impact will be felt by those making close to that wage. In the grand scheme, it's negligible, but a few low income folks will be negatively impacted.

Old 01-17-2014, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
It will be slightly less. So when businesses hire, they want employees whose added value will exceed their cost. What this means for a state of 6-7 million in an intermediate term is a few thousand IMO. The largest impact will be felt by those making close to that wage. In the grand scheme, it's negligible, but a few low income folks will be negatively impacted.
So Washington's job growth is going to be less than 2000? Well then I can't wait to see what their January job numbers looks like if you are forecasting a job loss of 3000 and a job gain of 1500 or so.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Not to mention an increase in MW would make jobs even harder to get then they already are now. Employers will hire less people, and so they'll only hire people that are even more skilled, cutting those with no special skills out of the job market completely.

Ironic isn't it? That the type of people these policies are meant to help the most, are actually the people that they end up either hurting the most or not making any difference whatsoever.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:48 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
I am still waiting to see a graph that ties unemployment to minimum wage increases. Based on the amount of minimum wage increases we have had since the 50s we should be at about 60-70% unemployment now.
Right, because the minimum wage is the ONLY thing that affects unemployment.

I think you're getting lazy again. Happened in another minimum wage thread a week or so ago. You just gave up, or something, and started resorting to one sentence bomb throwing. Seems like the same thing might be happening here.

Old 01-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Right, because the minimum wage is the ONLY thing that affects unemployment.

I think you're getting lazy again. Happened in another minimum wage thread a week or so ago. You just gave up, or something, and started resorting to one sentence bomb throwing. Seems like the same thing might be happening here.
Based on the responses right wingers have when one mentions raising the minimum wage you would think it was directly tied to unemployment and inflation.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:48 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,569,031 times
Quote:
Based on the responses right wingers have when one mentions raising the minimum wage you would think it was directly tied to unemployment and inflation.
I see you haven't learned anything from hundreds of posts and multiple threads.

http://inflationdata.com/articles/20...ger-inflation/

Old 01-17-2014, 09:04 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,226,375 times
If minimum wage goes to $10 an hour tomorrow, then most consumer prices go up ~ 25% because of inflation and it's a wash.

Old 01-17-2014, 09:13 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Well, what happened the last time the minimum wage was raised (in 2009)? And the time before that? Did it result in an inflationary spiral, as you seem to be suggesting?
Not who you were talking to. However, that was a 70 cent increase not a $2.75 increase.

If we take it to an extreme, you would admit that if we raised minimum wage by 1 cent...nothing would be perceived to be effected...if we raised minimum wage by $50, there would be a massive effect in inflation.

For the record, I wouldn't be opposed to a modest increase in minimum wage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies