Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 07:45 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,950,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
"When a female determines she is pregnant, she has the freedom to decide if she has the maturity level to undertake the responsibilities of motherhood, if she is financially able to support a child, if she is at a place in her career to take the time to have a child, or if she has other concerns precluding her from carrying the child to term. After weighing her options, the female may choose abortion. Once she aborts the fetus, the female's interests in and obligations to the child are terminated. In stark contrast, the unwed father has no options. His responsibilities to the child begin at conception and can only be terminated with the female's decision to abort the fetus or with the mother's decision to give the child up for adoption. Thus, he must rely on the decisions of the female to determine his future. The putative father does not have the luxury, after the fact of conception, to decide that he is not ready for fatherhood. Unlike the female, he has no escape route." -Melanie McCulley, Attorney in South Carolina
That is incorrect. No one requires the male to classify as the "Father" untill the birth of the child. There is no responsibility required of the male...unless he chooses that responsiblility, at conception.

His responsibilities begin at the birth of the child as it has for eons. What rights does he need before that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 10:35 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,214,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
This is like saying someone who is against eating red meat is a vegetarian.

The term is anti-abortion. When you're anti only one choice, you call it out. The anti abortion crowd is not anti adoption, keeping the baby or using birth control which are the other choices. They are anti only one of the choices and that one is abortion so it's anti-abortion.
You are thinking at the point of birth, the anti-choice comes from the moment a woman is pregnant and should have the choice to decide whether she wants to keep the fetus or not. People against abortions are anti-choice for that reason.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:20 PM

5,719 posts, read 6,452,323 times
Men have reproductive rights. They have the right to pull out or wear a condom. Otherwise, they have the right to remain silent and pay child support.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:27 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,473,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Men have reproductive rights. They have the right to pull out or wear a condom. Otherwise, they have the right to remain silent and pay child support.
Neither pulling out nor wearing a condom are completely effective (and pulling out is quite ineffective actually).

In so far as the right to remain silent and pay child support, this is something that I question as well. Why shouldn't men have the same rights as women to their children once they're born?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM

68,333 posts, read 54,445,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoniDanko View Post
I agree with you 100%, but women and white night liberal men are going to jump all over you in this thread. You are correct though. Women are not held responsible for getting pregnant, but they want to hold men responsible. If a girl I had sex with tells me she's pregnant and I say I don't want the child, then I'm scum, but if whether the woman wants the child or not (regardless of what the father thinks) her decision to not deal with the consequences of her actions is perfectly okay. There is a HUGE double standard.
IF it were a true double standard the man would share the job of gestation equally, he doesn't and it isn't.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Neither pulling out nor wearing a condom are completely effective (and pulling out is quite ineffective actually).

In so far as the right to remain silent and pay child support, this is something that I question as well. Why shouldn't men have the same rights as women to their children once they're born?
exactly what right are men lacking "to thier children" after birth?

Old 01-19-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
exactly what right are men lacking "to thier children" after birth?
Legally, they have at least the vast majority of the same rights, at least when they know they have children. I mean more in practice. They can certainly attempt to get primary custody of their kids, but it is rarely granted.

I am speaking of the attitude that men should do nothing but pay child support and that's their only responsibility. I think that's pathetic, but I also think that's how some feminists want it.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Legally, they have at least the vast majority of the same rights, at least when they know they have children. I mean more in practice. They can certainly attempt to get primary custody of their kids, but it is rarely granted.

I am speaking of the attitude that men should do nothing but pay child support and that's their only responsibility. I think that's pathetic, but I also think that's how some feminists want it.
Feminist don't pass out rights. Men lack no rights.

Custody is figured out in family court...each party[parent] has the right to petition the court for custody. The fact that most cases are in favor of the mother does not mean a father has lost his rights or has no rights to his children.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Feminist don't pass out rights. Men lack no rights.

Custody is figured out in family court...each party[parent] has the right to petition the court for custody. The fact that most cases are in favor of the mother does not mean a father has lost his rights or has no rights to his children.
I know that. However, when family court rulings favor a mother, the father is obviously losing some rights. In many cases it's deserved and in many it's what he wants. However, I still think the default presumption (de facto, not de jure) is that mothers, not fathers, should raise their children even when everything is equal.

I think this is ironically rooted in sexism against women. However, I think many feminists are happy with it.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:38 PM

5,365 posts, read 5,147,550 times
I agree with the OP as well.
Here's my solutions:
1. Make contraceptives over the counter items just like multivitamins and make them free, so no female has an excuse of not using them if they don't want kids.
2. Keep abortion legal. It's better to abort a unwanted kid than have an unwanted kid
3. Give the male a right to a financial abortion just like the female has the right to a physical abortion
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies