Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 11:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,531,102 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
You and the extremists in the Middle East where they cut heads off!
They also do it just over the border in Mexico so you don't have to go that far to see chopped off heads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2014, 11:14 AM

59,138 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
Home | Murder Victims' Families for Reconciliation

Home | Murder Victims

Home | Murder Victims

It is about mostly about society's wish for revenge, not even the families' in a certain number of cases.

But then, you can always advocate revenge, I won't agree with you but there are so many things we'll probably not agree about.

What can't be said is this type of things :

It shouldn't be said not because it's offending, after all everyone is allowed to their way of thinking, but because it is NOT TRUE. Believe what you want to believe but do it with TRUE data or even with your personal feelings, hopes and fears only but don't invent DATAS or single events that you can't even prove all the implications of.

The Death Penalty and Deterrence | Amnesty International USA

On this site, you will see data that show my point.

Murder Rates Nationally and By State | Death Penalty Information Center

(if you don't like the site, go search for other ones, I took the first on Google but they all say the same).

And it's only the USA, I'm not even talking about Europe which has a much lower deadly/violent crime rates than you, with death penalty gone for years when not decades.

Now, if you want to keep your head in the sand and be with the likes of China and Saudi Arabia in the top executioners, you're in the land of the free, aren't you?
Oh, what a surprise. Site that are against the death penalty No bias there.

Old 01-20-2014, 11:28 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Thank You! If we didn't have differing opinions it would be a very boring world.
As long as one can talk and discuss them which we actually are doing !

Quote:
Sorry, I didn't not answer on purpose, I'm going out in a bit but will try and find it later. And as for an eye for an eye, I just don't have an issue with it.

Please do find out and also think how far an eye for an eye could go in terms of society and general good. Please.

Quote:

Oh, I try every chance I get, it's just sometimes our political system seems averse to running candidates with a non-interventionist agenda. If you've never seen a video of President Eisenhower's farewell speech I'd highly recommend it. He warned about the undue influence of the military-industrial complex, a warning we seem to have ignored, much to the detriment of the country IMO. I believe he was absolutely correct in his warning.
How is that related to nudity that seems to shock so much more some of your co-nationals?

I'll look for the video.

Quote:
Why?
Why not if death penalty is no deterrent ? Why not treat other humans as we wished we'd be treated ?

That thing I also said about mentally ill persons?

Quote:

I don't have the one true answer but I believe the debate over establishing true verdicts is separate from the one on whether the death penalty is barbaric or justified for certain crimes. I'd guess the good news is having an increasing ability to prove innocence will also give us an increasing ability to establish guilt, regardless of what the punishment may be.
I guess that until one has that good news of having a 100% ability to prove innocence (or guilt for that matter), one shouldn't have any opinion and definite action (as in killing someone). And you admit you don't have such an answer. I don't either but then, I'd still be againt DP, for philosophical reasons. But then, we'd argue about solutions, not how to react to untrue fears.

I think that what makes human beings actual human beings is that they have a conscience, even those who disagree with you. Sometimes, rarely, some don't seem to have one at all and it bewilders us and makes us angry, thus the need for what I call revenge.

I believe in humane society however pleonasmic that might sound and with that, I also know that some criminals are mentally ill, dangerously so. And prison isn't always the answer, death penalty isn't either.

The truth is that most people don't want to spend money on prison and I can understand that. But still, it is the way we deal with criminals that say most about our societies.

“No one truly knows a nation until one has been inside its jails. A nation should not be judged by how it treats its highest citizens, but its lowest ones."

Nelson Mandela

Old 01-20-2014, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Oh, what a surprise. Site that are against the death penalty No bias there.
I don't have any bias other than my conscience and facts. Can you post credible stats that point to the contrary of what I said ?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
I've read this before. Were I able to I'd have to ask Mon. Camus if his concern was with 'equivalency', WHERE is the equivalency of letting someone live who has denied that right to another? I don't believe there can truly be any 'equivalency' in the case of murder, whether the killer is executed or jailed for life the victim is still dead.

You've actually said that there can be no equivalency. So where and when does that crime fit crime theory comes?

(apparté, what does Mon. stand for?)

Last edited by personne; 01-20-2014 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-20-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:

I merely meant if we're going to believe we have a civilized society there really shouldn't be a need of deterrents to certain actions, morality comes from within, not from laws/deterrents.

Just out of curiousity and for fun also, I think you can take it What in my example of speed on the road should come from within ? The speed that you think you master as a competitive driver, the speed you think you master as a young driver ? The speed you think you master as a drunk driver ?

How is that comparable to morality ?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:18 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,306,705 times
Default We should execute people the old fashioned way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
You know I really don't care that he suffered,
because he caused untold suffering and fear as he was raping then killing his victim.
Let's just call it karma
^^^

Hanged, drawn and quartered, is my favorite. The punishment
should fit the crime.

The death penalty is a deterrent, once you take the head off,
they will harm no one else.

1) Dragged on a hurdle (a wooden frame) to the place of execution. This is one possible
meaning of drawn. The more likely meaning of Drawn is the act of disembowelment.
2) Hanged by the neck for a short time or until almost dead (hanged).
3) Disembowelled and emasculated and the genitalia and entrails burned before the
condemned's eyes (this is another meaning of drawn).
4) The body divided into four parts, then beheaded (quartered).

Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Quote:

We should execute people the old fashioned way
Stoning? That's about as old-fashioned as it gets.

Old 01-20-2014, 12:25 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
You've actually said that there can be no equivalency. So where and when does that crime fit crime theory comes?

(apparté, what does Mon. stand for?)
How can there be equivalency in the case of murder? The victim is dead, that doesn't mean execution doesn't fit the crime, I see 'equivalency' and 'fitting the crime' as different.

BTW, perhaps I'm wrong, I thought Mon. was the proper abbreviation for Monsieur?

Old 01-20-2014, 12:27 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,232,912 times
I think death by firing squad immediately after a proven murder (meaning DNA evidence, multiple witnesses). Give them a day in solitary confinement with whatever food they want and a Bible. Enough of supporting murderers for decades with taxpayer dollars.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies