Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 11:14 PM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times

Advertisements

I think the recent controversy over the new execution drug protocol in Ohio's lethal injection is just another example of liberalism backfiring, kinda like "smart growth" forcing development even further out into other counties or states that don't have those laws. Ohio wouldn't have had to "experiment" with this new drug combo if the liberal European countries didn't ban their companies from selling death penalty products to the United States.

Now with all the concerns about suffering of the condemned (never mind that the executed killer didn't show any mercy to the pregnant woman he raped and murdered) and the cost of the death penalty, including the cost of the lethal injection drugs or operating the death chamber (don't know WHY these things cost so much) maybe we should just execute people the old fashioned way, with a simple bullet in the head.

That will be simple, cheap, and instant. Many states have a backlog of executions because of the shortage of execution drugs. I wonder why we can't produce those chemicals ourselves here in the US I yet its liberal pressure too. North Carolina has the death penalty but the medical board there refuses to allow physicians to participate in executions and state law says without a doctor they can't have a lethal injection. (I'll bet my bottom dollar this same medical board is not against banning doctors from performing partial birth abortions).

So to save money and to assuage the fears of the criminal suffering, I think its best we just use the firing squad, and the best option would be the condemned tied to a chair, the executioner presses the pistol in the back of his head and pulls the trigger. Nothing cruel or unusual about that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 12:11 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
We should not be executing anyone at all. No government on the face of the planet can be trusted not to abuse the power to execute their own citizens.

Abolish the death penalty and parole, and bring back "Truth In Sentencing."

Old 01-19-2014, 12:24 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,024,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We should not be executing anyone at all. No government on the face of the planet can be trusted not to abuse the power to execute their own citizens.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,207,835 times
better to let 100 guilty people go free than to convict 1 innocent, and there has been too many innocent people convicted of crimes in the past century of the history of the USA.

Old 01-19-2014, 12:32 AM

10,219 posts, read 15,939,614 times
There is already truth in sentencing right now. Most states with the death penalty have extremely strict criteria on conviction and evidence. There was absolutely no doubt that the recently executed killer and rapist was guilty. He was not forced into his confession and never tried to retract his confession. He was guilty, and now he has paid for his crime, and justice has been served.

Would you liberals not wanted the death penalty for Osama bin Laden if he had been found alive? Do y'all not want James Holmes to be executed for what he did in the movie theater?

Old 01-19-2014, 01:28 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,464,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
There is already truth in sentencing right now. Most states with the death penalty have extremely strict criteria on conviction and evidence. There was absolutely no doubt that the recently executed killer and rapist was guilty. He was not forced into his confession and never tried to retract his confession. He was guilty, and now he has paid for his crime, and justice has been served.

Would you liberals not wanted the death penalty for Osama bin Laden if he had been found alive? Do y'all not want James Holmes to be executed for what he did in the movie theater?
I do not care if I personally witnessed the crime, no government should ever be empowered with the authority to execute one of its own citizens. It has absolutely nothing to do with the issue of guilt or innocence, and absolutely everything to do with trust.

No government can be trusted. That is not skepticism, but merely fact. Even the founding fathers did not trust the very government they were creating, which is why they included all those "checks and balances." If the founders did not trust the government they created, why should we?

A "life sentence" means 7 years in prison before becoming eligible for parole. Because of parole we have to have two different "life sentences:" 1) Life; or 2) Life without parole. As long as parole exists, there can never be "Truth In Sentencing." There should also be no "time off for 'good' behavior," or half-way houses. If someone is convicted and sentenced to a specific time in prison, they serve every day of that sentence behind bars.

Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
I was always a strong proponent of the death penalty but not anymore, one person on death row that is innocent is one too many. How many are they up to now that were released?

Old 01-19-2014, 05:13 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,722,601 times
Sorry there are some crimes that are just to heinous not to have the death penalty.

As a matter of fact the death penalty in this case would be to fast and easy.

This is one of those cases where I can feel the unburdensome nature of my wild self well up through the layers of my civility.

Cheshire, Connecticut, home invasion murders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-19-2014, 05:30 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post

Well, I'm here to disagree. I don't think it is abused, and there are years of appeals (probably too many) that allow for all doubt to be eliminated.

The death penalty is just punishment for the crime of murder, and it is prescribed by God (and I don't care if you are an atheist, that's your problem). "If a man sheds another mans blood, by man shall his blood be shed."

Man was made in the image of God. Therefore, murder is a crime against God himself. Ipse dixit!

Old 01-19-2014, 05:31 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,322,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
better to let 100 guilty people go free than to convict 1 innocent, and there has been too many innocent people convicted of crimes in the past century of the history of the USA.
How do you know this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies