Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Spanking Your Kids Be.....
Illegal 12 9.84%
Leagal 110 90.16%
Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 PM

99 posts, read 151,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Plus, I don't know how you can reason with a two or three year old with a "time out' for running out into a busy street or reaching for a pan of hot oil on the stove.

Try holding their hand while you're out or not having hot oil on the stove where the child can reach it.

I've never spanked my children. They don't get in trouble at school. They respect adults and their peers. They make great grades.

I was never spanked as a child.

Having said that, spanking should not be decided by the government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 09:55 AM

1,364 posts, read 2,916,794 times
Exactly what I was talking about in this thread:

Spanking Linked to Kids' Later Aggression

Quote:
April 12, 2010 -- Moms who spank their 3-year-olds may be increasing their children's risk of aggressive behavior, such as bullying, by the time they turn 5, a study shows.

The study, published in the May issue of Pediatrics, adds to evidence suggesting that spanking and other types of corporal punishment set kids up for aggressive behaviors later in life.

"Children need guidance and discipline; however, parents should focus on positive, non-physical forms of discipline and avoid the use of spanking," study researcher Catherine A. Taylor, PhD, an assistant professor of community health sciences at Tulane University School of Public Health and Tropical Medicine in New Orleans, tells WebMD in an email. "This message is consistent with that of the American Academy of Pediatrics, which 'strongly opposes striking a child for any reason.'"

Old 10-26-2010, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 1,021 times
The problem is children do not get spanked enough. This is the reason you see children in the stores acting a complete brat; crying, kicking, screaming, and falling out. A good swat on the bottom is just what some kids need. You tell me, what good is time out or "go to your room, taking a toy, tv, iPod, or cell phone away. None of it does any good at all, eventually the child is done with time out or they get their things returned to them. That does not teach them any thing at all. " no pain no game"! However, a good swat or two maybe three or more, I guarntee they will remember that and they will think before they misbehave again. The government should not have a say so in how people discipline their children, unless it's out of control. Now there is a difference between abuse and discipline. I was spanked as a child and so was my mother and her mother and so on. We all turned out just fine, I do believe children and adults should praise God. Having Jesus as the head of your life makes a HUGE difference as well. the bible is a good thing to have and read daily with your family.

Old 10-26-2010, 08:58 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,239,271 times
Children should not be beaten simply as a release for a parents' feelings of frustration or rage at life. This happened when I was young.

On the other hand, young children who do not respond to verbal reasoning or withholding of privileges will often only respond to a whack on the fanny. This is not abusive.

I know of some kids recently who were physically violent with adults every time they felt frustrated. By letting these children make all the family decisions and never telling them "no," the result was very psychologically disturbed kids. They were very unhappy because they couldn't find any limits, but desperately needed them.

The answer is somewhere in the middle of no discipline, and abusive discipline. There is a certain level of maturity needed to raise kids properly, and we as a society should do everything we can to ensure that children are not made until there is a family capable of raising them well.

Old 10-26-2010, 10:05 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
Spankig your chldren is not illeagl in most states. Its when it gets to assult by abuse that it becomes illegal in most.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:43 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,193,530 times
spanking and disciplining should be legal, but abusing should not be tolerated.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:00 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Am I allowed to spank the parent when they don't control their kids in public?

That's a better question.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:08 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,240,056 times
Unfortunately no.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,275,143 times
Didn't think so...
I have been sorely tempted, though.

Obnoxious, unruly kids are usually a product of bad parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies