Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:38 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,262,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
One would start a company on the basis of tax write offs?
Thats not what I said, but clearly tax write offs cant be ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:41 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,442,305 times
Actually...this may sound weird but, a high taxation rate on a companies profits would encourage them to be less profitable.

How do you be less profitable? Well best way is to reinvest profits into expansion.

Least i am hoping that is the thought process behind a 95% tax rate, cause otherwise its nuts.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:42 PM

41,109 posts, read 25,818,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Thats not what I said, but clearly tax write offs cant be ignored.
Tax write offs are used by the government to encourage specific activities the government wants the people to do. Which reminds me, didn't Obama pick 5 areas of the country and now he is going to give them tax breaks so they can create businesses? He does't want other parts of the country just areas he favors?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM

34,289 posts, read 19,442,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Tax write offs are used by the government to encourage specific activities the government wants the people to do. Which reminds me, didn't Obama pick 5 areas of the country and now he is going to give them tax breaks so they can create businesses? He does't want other parts of the country just areas he favors?
LOL. You do know the exact same thing has been suggested by quite a few Republicans.....right?

Old 01-22-2014, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Actually...this may sound weird but, a high taxation rate on a companies profits would encourage them to be less profitable.

How do you be less profitable? Well best way is to reinvest profits into expansion.

Least i am hoping that is the thought process behind a 95% tax rate, cause otherwise its nuts.
But why expand if government is going to take the money off them anyway. (more risk, more headaches with more employees). 95% tax rate, people wouldn't even bother.

People are choosing to ride Obama and his policies out (contraction).

Old 01-22-2014, 05:44 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,988,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
A pessimist like you would have stayed there thinking all of US was a dump, like Detroit. They think same way you talk.
Gawd, you know absolutely nothing. YOU won't move to Detroit. And you project your greed on me, thinking that I wouldn't come to America because of Detroit?

You know nothing. I seek FREEDOM. Not handouts. Not "ease of getting rich", nor anything else other than the chance to succeed or fail ON MY OWN. You fail at precisely the thing MOST needed in this country... belief in yourself, willingness to take risks, and a belief in your fellow man. You go around demanding the government take away every risk. Dangit... risk and failure are what teach character and perseverance. You HAVE to get broken a few times to learn how to be strong. Most people who did something great failed repeatedly first. What separates them from the rest of us... is trying again - and again.

Other than the few people who are incapable of taking care of themselves (and there's not a lot, but they certainly exist, for whatever reason) nobody NEEDS to be given a "right" to food, housing, medicine, job assistance, etc. They need to learn what it means to go hungry and to be REALLY MOTIVATED to change how they think. As some wits have said "Some people have to be knocked on their ***** repeatedly before they bother to look up".

Life should NOT be easy. You should have to BEG to be "given" things.

And, right along with that, success should not be punished. What you work for you should keep - ALL of it. What you buy, you should OWN - forever - without it being taxed.

We would not have even a tiny fraction of the problems we have now. And, we'd have a thriving economy fulfilling the promise of opportunity for all.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
LOL. You do know the exact same thing has been suggested by quite a few Republicans.....right?
Well then they are wrong. They should put forth policies that help the entire nation. Can you give me an article where repubs are suggesting the same thing. I'd like to read it.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:48 PM

Quote:

]

You have to make profits to invest them and taxing profits leaves less to invest. Investment ... Is always AFTER TAX DOLLARS. It would help if you have even the FAINTEST clue what you're talking about.

Quote:
There you go, still believing that government should be directing everything. SMH. You never learn a damn thing.

Old 01-22-2014, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
But why expand if government is going to take the money off them anyway. (more risk, more headaches with more employees). 95% tax rate, people wouldn't even bother.

People are choosing to ride Obama and his policies out (contraction).
Yup. That's me. I'm not starting anything again that has more than me or me and the wife in it. Ever.

I'm done with being the target of every hostile, self-righteous, demanding, pushy, dishonest and arrogant government paper-pusher out there. And that's true of quite a few of the self employed I know. None of them are willing to take the risk that they're not going to get walloped hard enough to make them go broke keeping their commitments to someone. So, they do less, live on less, work less... and overall just "go Galt".

Old 01-22-2014, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
]

You have to make profits to invest them and taxing profits leaves less to invest. Investment ... Is always AFTER TAX DOLLARS. It would help if you have even the FAINTEST clue what you're talking about.

There you go, still believing that government should be directing everything. SMH. You never learn a damn thing.
That's right. Small business are taxes on ALL profits even if some of the money is left in the business so they can pay vendors, employees etc. It's called retained earnings. When government raises taxes that means less money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies